Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3858 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 9 of 14
06 November 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
@Tarvos: I don't have a connection with Russian now, but I will build it through the
language, in the same way as Spanish and French, and as very slowly I'm doing with
Dutch. I don't have right now Russian friends or girlfriend nor I'm into Russian
culture: I will go through it by learning the language. Thank you very much for your
advices, I will for sure use Assimil.

Thanks for the insights @Josquin, @Chung and @chokofingrz.

@Chung: how far can one go by using "New Penguin" and "Oxford Take off"? By my
research seems that with Ruslan (mentioned by @Tarvos) and the New Penguin one can
reach a solid A2. If I understood correctly you learned the language for passive use,
how many hours of study did you spent to reach this stage? Also, do you find that
using the language to learn new languages helped you to improve your Russian?

I think that two methods (plus other activities) at the time are enough generally
speaking. Would make in you opinion more sense to start with New Penguin and Assimil
or New Penguin and Oxford take off ore even other combinations?
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 14
06 November 2014 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
I guess that completing NPRC and TOIR would leave me at something like A2 (B1 if I were keen on absorbing/assimilating almost every detail in these courses). I've probably spent about 40 hours so far on Russian and I'm definitely getting a big boost from being familiar with other Slavonic languages, and don't need to spend that much time assimilating the content. Of course the details differ, but by and large the sets of inflectional endings remind me of what I've learned, and retaining vocabulary isn't overly frustrating even though there are several false friends. I guess that I'm not a typical learner of Russian since I'm approaching it with a background in other Slavonic languages and am focused on getting a certain passive ability. I definitely don't worry about being able to speak it with more or less accurate prosody (even when I read Russian texts aloud, I catch myself pronouncing things as if they were Polish, Ukrainian or Slovak).

I'll start to use my Russian at some point in the Turkic challenge but this might not happen until late next year or even 2016 when I study languages for which the intermediary language of the learning material is Russian. If I start with Azeri, and then move onto Turkmen and then Uzbek, I'll be able to use plenty of material that's issued in English. It's when I get into Crimean Tatar and Tuvan where I expect to need my Russian background.

The more that I look into Russian, the more that I see that it's brimming with learning material. If you're going to use NPRC, you'll then definitely need some course with audio. I'm using TOIR because I bought it a long time ago on the strength of its relatively low price ($20 new) and positive reviews. I'm sure that Assimil could be a good supplement but I never considered it for Russian because of my disappointing experience with "Hungarian with Ease" previously.

Of course there are other combinations but ultimately it won't matter too much since there's lots of high quality (not to mention free) stuff for beginners. You probably know of the online courses Russian Language Lessons, Russian for Everyone, Master Russian and Learn Russian. If you're OK with lots of drilling, then downloading the audio for Modern Russian from CELTIE and getting the textbooks for a pittance from Amazon Marketplace could be the way to go.
5 persons have voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5666 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 11 of 14
07 November 2014 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
tristanto:

I think for your step 2, you can add monolingual Russian textbooks. For the absolute
beginners, they are meant for classroom use. But, since you already have built a
vocabulary base from your step 1, you can use them for self study. Most of these
monolingual textbooks nowadays come with the audio CDs. The audio is purely in Russian
and it is guided so that you can understand the differences of similar sounds and get
used to the native speech progressively. The books also help to bridge the jump in
reading from bilingual textbooks to native materials, as they will guide you to get
used to a book written entirely in Russian. These books starts with the vocabulary you
will learn in step 1, and then introduce new vocabulary through pictures or though
context (a skill which is necessary to tackle unknown words). Most of the grammar will
be introduced though grammar tables and drills which reinforces the knowledge of
grammar you learnt from step 1. I have personally use these materials, in order to
improve my Russian for the past 8 months.

Some of the textbooks I recommend are:
поехали! by издательство «златоуст»
Дорога в Россию by издательство «златоуст»
Русский язык: 5 элементов by издательство «златоуст»
Наше время by Издательство Русский Язык

Wish you all the best.

Edited by QiuJP on 07 November 2014 at 3:50pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 14
07 November 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
I'm not familiar with the textbooks but the correct name must be Златоуст.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5666 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 13 of 14
07 November 2014 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'm not familiar with the textbooks but the correct name must be
Златоуст.

Спасибо за то, что ты указала мою ошибку.
(Thank you, for pointing out my mistake.)

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4335 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 14 of 14
08 November 2014 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
What resources would you recommend for higher levels of
learning like B2 or C1 ?

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version