Feedback

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4869 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 1 of 4
11 November 2014 at 4:50am | IP Logged 
I have Farsi, Iraqi Arabic, Egyptian Arabic, and Kurdish on this recording. I won't say
which one is my "best" and which is my "worst" (ha, ha). I've gotten mixed feedback from
natives so I'd like an honest assessment of how I'm doing in terms of pronunciation and
accent, how I sound, and what sounds / words seem off.

http://tindeck.com/listen/acjg

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4269 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 2 of 4
13 November 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
As no feedback was provided, I can tell you what I managed to notice for Farsi:
- when you pronounce bozorg, it sounds like you don't pronounce the first O
- tavOlod is actually tavAlod (with open A)
The closed A sounds ok. I don't know a couple of words at the end of that part and I can't help you with formal grammar.

Btw, do you use a different average pitch for each language? If so, how did you manage to train that skill?

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4869 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 3 of 4
14 November 2014 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice. I really need to listen to more Farsi because I can get sloppy.
I've had Iranians tell me before that I sound Afghan which is funny since I don't really
have any exposure to Dari. There must just be something about my accent that reminds them
a little bit of Afghans.

Haaaa, I don't try to use a different pitch but I've had people tell me that before. :-D

gordafarin
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3899 days ago

12 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Persian, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 4
15 November 2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
I can see where the Afghan thing is coming from - it's in your vowels. Your long a is very o-like, and your short a is rather long (or "back", if you're familiar with the IPA vowel system). That is a common feature of Eastern Persian - in Tajik which is written in Cyrillic, آ is even spelled as 'O'.

It isn't wrong, but it's also not standard Tehrani if that's what you're going for. But as I've been listening to lots of different Iranian speakers lately I've noticed that the different sounds for آ and اَ can vary widely. For some people it's very clearly ɒ and æ while for other speakers they're closer together, especially in less careful speech, and the sounds of these vowels just seem to vary a ton from speaker to speaker.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version