Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 10
27 June 2015 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I have been using the FSI truncate silence technique over the last few weeks. I try to shadow the drills
response. I've been editing out the easier portions of the tapes. That leaves me with recordings of
approximately ten minutes or so. This makes a nice small chunk of drilling while driving. I believe that over
time, a consistent habit of Hard Core FSI drilling will give automaticity my speaking skills. I have the audacity
to thank Audacity for that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 10
01 January 2016 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
A little update. I continue to use the Hard Core FSI technique. The last few months, that's amounted to one
tape face several days per week, most weeks. I still listen to other things in the car in my target language. I
find it to be a good basic discipline.

Currently, I'm listening to tape 11.5 in FSI Basic French. I've been listening to most of the tapes several
times, trying to get a good handle on most of the drills. This course has 24 units, and unit 12 is a half way
point cumulative review. The court is still out as to whether I circle back to the beginning, or start to plow
forward with unit 13. Right now, French has taken a back seat to a work project. I think of it as base building,
rather than a time of progress. Hopefully, later this year, I'll be able to get in the driver's seat again.

Which reminds me, today is a good day to start a 2016 goals thread.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version