Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 14
16 November 2014 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Lemberg1963 wrote:
From this perspective, Anki isn't a tool that helps you remember facts, but actually a tool that helps you optimally forget things.

That's exactly the information I have been looking for since I began using Anki a couple of months ago.

I've been mulling this over for a couple of days. I did stop doing Anki for two or three days, and now there is a 265 card backlog.

The more important thing that has come to me are a couple tweaks to my approach:

1) Rather than rating a card "easy" reluctantly, or "hard" because it didn't flash into my mind like a lightning bolt, be a bit more generous in the rating. This will tend to delay the card a bit longer, which underlies the premise in what I quoted.

2) I've been using primarily L1/L2 cards. The new tweak is to put L2 synonyms on L1 cards that seem hard for whatever reason. Here's an example in French for the word "cependant":

Quote:

however
He studies a lot and yet he is worried about the exam.
pourtant, néanmoins

The italics is new information on the card. They are synonyms from WordReference. Instead of getting a card wrong because you've chosen a synonym, you get more L2 and remove the false "you missed this card" experience.
2 persons have voted this message useful

bjornbrekkukot
United States
Joined 4518 days ago

25 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 14
16 November 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
I described my flashcard method in the "advanced vocabulary" thread. I use a basic variation of the Leitner model.
Programs like Anki use similar algorithms, in order to present cards at the most propitious intervals for
establishing recall. Whether you use paper cards or a computer program doesn't really matter, besides that the
process of making the real flashcard itself can further aid your memory.

In my system, for example, I often miss about 20% of the words my 2nd stage (after not being seen for 3 days), but
I rarely miss the words in my final (5th) stage (after not being seen for 3-4 months).

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 11 of 14
17 November 2014 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
bjornbrekkukot wrote:
I often miss about 20% of the words my 2nd stage (after not being seen for 3 days),
but I rarely miss the words in my final (5th) stage (after not being seen for 3-4 months).

I skipped Anki for a couple of days but I didn't really miss it.

Lemberg1963
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
zamishka.blogspot.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4035 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ukrainian*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Polish

Message 12 of 14
18 November 2014 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Related to this, new study just came out showing that the brain preserves encoding for the
sounds of our first language even if we are adopted early in life and grow up in an entirely
different language (ie we never forget).
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/11/12/1409411111

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 13 of 14
23 November 2014 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
If I don't work actively with a language for a time my ability to recal words -ANY words in this case - deteriorates. And inversely: I have concrete evidence in my ecperiments for a beneficial effect of working with word memorization, namley that I also remember other words which didn't make it to the wordlists better than if I didn't do wordlists. Concretely this shows up as a boost in my wordcounts after a 'hot' wordlist section, even for words which I didn't really try to memorize through the lists, but just saw in the dictionary.

I have noticed much the same thing working with Anki. If I am using it actively for a language I have an easier time recalling words from that language and also finding a more precise word when it is called for, even if I end up not using any of the words that I have recently reviewed. It seems that the recall work somehow "primes" the vocabulary retrieval faculty of my brain in a general way.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
24 November 2014 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Alright, no real scientific research, but when returning to Memrise after a break for a week or so, I was expecting to have forgotten way more words than it turned out.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version