12 messages over 2 pages: 1
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4508 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 12
17 November 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Nieng Zhonghan wrote:
I really liked everybody’s suggestions.

Tarvos,

Madagascar has been in my list for years. Indeed it must be a very interesting place
to visit. Air tickets to Madagascar (and African countries in general) unfortunately
have been out of my budget. When I find a reasonable price, it is a period of time
when I cannot go on vacation. If I go to Madagascar, I suppose I have to transfer in
South Africa, I suppose, therefore, I think I would not spend my whole time in
Madagascar only.

I was about to visit Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, but due to the Ebola outbreak,
I have changed my plans.

By the way, Netherlands is one of the most awesome countries I have visited in Europe.

Thanks. I believe you can use a boat from Tanzania too. Unfortunately, the travel
stories I have read don't really seem to think that this boat is very high quality,
but as you're a backpacker you may like roughing it. I have some particulars to
mention on the Scandinavian languages (for foreigners), given my experience this
summer and being a fluent speaker of Swedish:

Quote:

Norwegian, Danish or Swedish

Pros

I have heard about the mutually intelligibility of all them at certain extent. It
would be interesting taking one of them since I am interested in Scandinavian culture.

Cons

They are Indo-European languages.

1. Be prepared for the fact that these countries leave holes in your budget,
especially Norway. The prices here are not for the faint of heart; strong labour
unions and good working conditions ensure that salaries and wages are taken care of.
Norway is especially expensive and you would do good to really budget here. I slept on
the floor of my friend's tent for the three days I was in Norway and I'm glad I did.

2. There is mutual intelligibility between these languages, however, that only really
works if you're pretty good at one of them already. I do not know how much time you
have at your disposal or what your background in the Germanic languages is (I see you
do not speak German yet?), but trust me, even for someone that has a pretty good bit
of experience with the North Germanic languages (in my case, I speak Swedish), it's
not as easy to navigate as you might think. I am helped by the fact that I have a very
strong background in the Germanics because I speak Dutch, English and reasonable
German (and I'd also seen some Icelandic before). I managed to navigate Sweden
effortlessly, Norway without much issue and Denmark was... complex to say the least,
and I'm considered a fluent speaker. You need to get good at one of the three, and
whichever one you pick, you'll always stumble upon some issue. If it's Norway you pick
- fine, which Norwegian? Should you pick Danish or Swedish, you'll do ok with
Norwegian, especially if you picked Swedish because the pronunciation is so similar,
but Danish/Swedish isn't that mutually intelligible in oral mode. You only get this
bonus once you're pretty good. I'm very good at Swedish and I can deal with most
Norwegian if it's not too dialectical (although I miss things), but Danish... not so
much.

Not to mention these countries are easy enough to navigate on English alone, of
course, although I never had to.

Edited by tarvos on 17 November 2014 at 5:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4857 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 10 of 12
17 November 2014 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Russian is an Indo-European language, so it doesn't suit you very well probably.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3848 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 11 of 12
18 November 2014 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Icelandic.
Don't need to explain about Iceland, plus should be mutually intelligible to Faroese and it has cognates with English
and the other Scandinavian languages. It is not non-IE, but it is a very ancient language so it's certainly not a boring
one. The Icelandic people usually know English, but the average level is not very high from what I saw. During my
travel in Iceland I encountered a fair number of Icelandic tourists (in addition to more or less half France, but this is
another story).
1 person has voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3472 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 12 of 12
19 November 2014 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
@Tarvos: As you said, I don’t expect to achieve a reasonable level in one of the
Scandinavian languages that easily, especially considering my previous lack of
experience in Germanic languages.

There is a recent thread written by Ari on this topic in which you have already
commented on:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=39623&PN=1

Even though I may not choose any Scandinavian language for now, I still appreciate
reading such threads.

I haven’t visited the Nordic countries yet, but talking with many Europeans,
especially Norwegian people, they have already told me that Norway is one of the most
expensive countries.

Indeed those countries (Norway, Sweden, and Finland among others) are quite easy to
navigate on English alone.

I only had to use my poor French skills in France, especially in Paris where people…
well, better not to comment about the Parisian people because there are French people
on this forum who might get offended…but other than that, people in the countryside
were much nicer...

@Марк: Well, actually Russian sounds really nice to me. I stopped learning it at A2
level because I broke up with my ex who was bilingual. She was a native speaker of
both Russian and Estonian. I know it sounds silly. I know.

In case anyone is interested in what I have used, I have basically followed up 90% of
this log written by chokofingrz. I have tried so many materials, but I lost my
motivation. Anyway, I take both Russian and Estonian as an experiment. I had lots of
fun.

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37865&PN=2

I also quit my Estonian studies which I believe I have achieved a solid active A2
level. At least, she taught me so many common expressions not taught in textbooks or
in common courses offered in Tallinn or Tartu.

I made few different Estonian decks in Anki, regarding many expressions used in daily
life, but I have deleted them.

I won’t say that I will never study Russian or Estonian again, but not for now.

@Tristano: I think Icelandic sounds nice. My acquaintances have been learning
Icelandic so far. I think they are in B1 level right now.

Yesterday I found out that there are already a recent discussion about Indonesian and
Malay:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=19943&PN=1
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=38418&PN=1

Right now I already have 2 languages (Mandarin and Korean).

I dropped out both Russian and Estonian at same time, so, it seems reasonable to add
just one as an experiment of 3 to 6 months. I have also stopped doing a research of
Tenetehára, Ainu, and many other languages, so I have much more time than before. I
don’t even care I am losing my basic fluency of some of them as I don’t need to make
use of them anymore.

I am not in a rush to decide which language I will add, too. I am aware that learning
a language is a matter of lifestyle choice. There are those who are into playing
sports at high level, even though they are not professional players; some others
commit in a plan to be on a specific diet either to help them gain muscles (gym) or
reduce their weight; some others simply enjoy learning languages as most of us. So, I
am aware that only a regular commitment in a daily basis will give me a chance to
achieve some of my goals at long-term.

Adding a new language might slower the progress in both Chinese and Korean, but at
least I have already found some resources that I have fun with.

Despite the fact of German is an Indo-European language, it is the one I found more
legal and free resources available on the internet. I may choose it because of my
interest in coming back to Germany and visiting Austria as well.

Anyway, guys, thank you very much.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 19 November 2014 at 1:03pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version