Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5668 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 41 of 45
24 December 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
There are also quite a few words i've come across that i've almost never seen in text books but which pop up all the time in conversations, things like mec, fric, and flic.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7008 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 42 of 45
24 December 2014 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
The pluralization of cailloux just popped up for me in one of the readings. Caillou was a new word before Lingvist. Seeing it or any other word I'm learning in multiple contexts and multiple forms seems beneficial to me.

fortheo
United States
Joined 4839 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 43 of 45
25 December 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm enjoying this website a lot. It's simple, yet effective and addicting. Watching your percentages go up gives you a a sense of accomplishment that I don't really feel with anki. Also, the little grammar notes—though not very detailed—are very direct and useful. I'm also really looking forward to the audio being added to the reading section— The more audio the better.

*edit*

I may have noticed something strange. Yesterday, when I looked at the percentage of words that I knew within the text titled "dialogue 1", the percentage was at like 83% words known. Fast forward to today and I've doubled the amount of vocab in the "memorize" section, yet now the percentage of words I know in dialogue one is listed as 76%. I find it odd that the percentage would go down considering I've learned more words.

Edited by fortheo on 26 December 2014 at 2:09am

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4712 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 44 of 45
02 June 2015 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
I just got an email from Lingvist saying they've released their app! I'll have to try it out when I get home.

EDIT: Well, I've tried it out and my initial impression is not very favorable. Basically, it seems to be a stripped down version of the website. As on the website, all card answers have to be typed, but for me anyway typing on my phone is slow. Duolingo offers different types of responses than on their website so there's less typing.

Another problem with the app is that there is no help on words for the reading and listening sections. On the website you can click on any word to get information about it, but this is missing on the app.

So, while I like the website, I doubt I'll be using the app.

In other news, before you log into the website it says:
"Coming soon: Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, Swedish." That should please a few people!

Edited by Jeffers on 02 June 2015 at 7:50pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stefan
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4130 days ago

22 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, EnglishC1
Studies: German

Message 45 of 45
06 June 2015 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
What are your thoughts on Lingvist vs Duolingo?

I studied some German through Duolingo a long time ago but stopped because I got bored when it
felt more like a daily 'must do' which I wasn't looking forward to. Instead I began reading texts from
Deutsche Welle because I felt comfortable with that level. Recently Duolingo released Esperanto so I
decided to give it a go to figure out if I should use Duolingo or not when learning French. Then I
found out about Lingvist which is alluring with their promise about reaching B2.

Now I'm basically in a situation where I don't know if I should use Duolingo to learn Esperanto (not
useful but simple) or if I should focus on French at Lingvist (useful but difficult).

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version