IarllTroseddwr
United States
Joined 3455 days ago

23 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 4
22 November 2014 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Hello all. I have been following various topics about the use of Anki with different media for some time. My favorite so far has been emk's subs2srs, which I was able to copy perfectly with my own Spanish movies, thanks to his incredibly detailed, step-by-step instructions.

I having been searching for the last week or two for a way to get similar cards in Anki using manga rather than video. I have a few series that I am reading and commonly find phrases and words that I would like to add to an Anki deck, but would like to keep the context with the content (similar to subs2srs' screenshot and added padding to allow a line of dialogue before and after the target line). I have tried copying a panel with content that I want added and blocking parts out using the Image Occlusion add-on for Anki, but so far, the results have not been quite what I would like. I was hoping to have some items clozed in the picture, with a "Hint" field on the card that would give the translation, and after answering the card, the actual text would be revealed.

I would provide screenshots to help the explanation, but it appears that I can't add images that aren't hosted online.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 4
22 November 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad to hear that you could get subs2srs working! For screenshots, I use postimage, which is available for free.

And yeah, one of the secrets of effective Anki use is simplifying data entry.

If you were reading with an online reader like Izneo's, it would be pretty easy to take a screenshot of a single panel, and paste it directly into Anki. You could either make MCDs with the Image Occulusion add-on, or just do "recognition" cards where all you need to do is understand the text. You could paste definitions for a few important words on the back. Either format would work fine.

But if you're reading on paper, it's probably not worth trying to photograph panels or anything. Better to shop around for another source of media. For example, I would love to make cards from my new copy of Blacksad, but I'm probably just going to use it for extensive parallel reading for now. There's always another data source out there somewhere that I could use with less effort.

But I do think your instincts are correct: If there was an effortless way to make Anki cards from panels in graphic novels, it would be a very fun and effective technique.

1 person has voted this message useful

IarllTroseddwr
United States
Joined 3455 days ago

23 posts - 28 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 4
22 November 2014 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Cool, postimage may definitely come in handy. Thanks for the link! For the most part, I've been reading the manga for extensive reading as well, since even in English I have trouble paying attention long enough to get through novels. I usually prefer to read books that teach me something, such as linguistics, philosophy, and the occasional history book.

It's looking like recognition cards may be the way to go for now. When browsing through cards made with Image Occlusion, the image doesn't show up in the preview, making it hard to add a hint or translation to the card. I'll have to reread the manual to make sure I'm going about this right. I appreciate the response though!

I'm also definitely looking into Blacksad. It was bit too far above my level when I was dabbling in French, but seems like it'll be perfect for my Spanish. And it seems different from my usual media, so that'll be a nice change.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 4
23 November 2014 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
If you have any knowledge of Linux, this might not be a problem. You can use the imagemagik program "convert foo.pdf foo.png" which would convert each page to a png image. One image per page of the book.

Chopping up "per panel" automatically would be a problem I think. But if you are only using the page image for a screenshot like in subs2srs it wouldn't be that big a deal.

To extract the text from the page you can use ghostscript like this in which case you might be better off doing something like pdftk (Pdf Toolkit) to explode each page of the book in to single pages, extract the text from each page with ghostscript, then convert the page to an image.

Most of these programs probably exist for windows since most opensource software is ported to windows where possible.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version