Diglot
United States
Joined 3455 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 7
24 November 2014 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Sorry if this has been discussed I haven't seen anything specific to this. I personally found it easier to listen to L1 and read L2 (Spanish) than the other way around. It's easier for me to focus on the text and sometimes I noticed that I would tune out the audiobook when it was in L2. Obviously this wouldn't work for a beginner, but I was thinking of listening to L1 first and then going back to listen to L2 splitting it up by chapters ie Listen to Chapter 1 in L1, Listen to Chapter 1 L2 and then go through the rest of the book like this and eventually go back and listen to the whole thing in L2 reading L2 with the parallel text on hand just in case. Has anyone else done something like this or found it easier to read L2 instead of listen to it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4805 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 7
24 November 2014 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
I've always considered L-R to be rather a suggestion than a dogma. The original author
found the sequence proposed extremely well functioning for herself at the beginning of
learning. However, quite any kind of work with native text and/or audiobook will help.
For exemple, I tried the original L-R but found some of the steps unnecessary or even
hindering for me. I found L2 book + L2 audio to be quite good, or each of them
separately as extensive activities is the best for me. Yes, I am not doing the L-R as
it was designed but it works fine.

There is more space for changes when you are no longer a beginner, as you suggest, the
original L-R was designed with the beginner starting from zero on mind. So, if I were
you, I would give a try to an L2 book with L2 audio. Truth be told, I don't find much
value in listening in L1. When you listen in L2, even when you do not focus 100% of
the time and tune it out for a smaller part of the time spent on it, your ears are
still receiving a large sample of L2. You cannot listen to the L2 too much, in my
opinion, every bit helps.

Or, if you find out the L-R is not for you and you just want to work with native books
and audiobooks, you might want to join the Super Challenge. Participants of the SC
choose various strategies to reading and listening but the key is the huge amount. You
cannot not progress having read 5000, 10000 or even 20000 pages and having listened to
100 movies or equivalent.

P.S. Welcome to the forums, Johannes19

Dragon27
Diglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 4037 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 3 of 7
24 November 2014 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
L-R was very useful to me when I first tried it even though I definitely was not a beginner (being able to partially understand movies and having little problems with reading literature). It quickly improved my listening comprehension, so that I was able to understand audiobooks with ease, while simple "raw" listening to audiobooks didn't have that much of an effect.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 4 of 7
24 November 2014 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles suggests L1 Audio / L2 Text as
one of his techniques in his talk - Reading Literature in Foreign Languages: Tool, Techniques, Target.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
24 November 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I'm with Cavesa. No major advantage listening to L1.

Despite the youtube link (which has been referred to in some of the other "inverse LR" threads I just had a look at), I'm sure I've seen an old thread where the OP asked about listening to L1 and reading L2, and Prof. Arguelles thought it would be rather pointless (along the lines: what on earth s/he thought that L1 audio would give her/him). However, I cant find the thread.

Johannes19
Diglot
United States
Joined 3455 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 6 of 7
25 November 2014 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
It's easier for me to remember words when I see them in writing. I also know how to pronounce words correctly at sight. I probably wouldn't listen to English for French or German because sometimes I don't have any idea how they're pronounced. Accent is pretty important for me. I'm still debating on doing it the way I described when I get some time off school and work soon. Thanks for the welcome and replies.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4962 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 7 of 7
25 November 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
L1 audio + L2 text can be good for improving your reading. My reading may be still low in L2, but overall it's faster than the dictated audio. So, I read first the L2 text then I listen to the "translation" in L1 to clear up doubts and I have enough time to 'reprocess' the L2.

Sometimes it's the only option. I did this with TED Talks: i'd read Georgian+Portuguese subtitles while listening to the English talk.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version