Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

When you meet target-language speakers...

Language Learning Forum : Cultural Experiences in Foreign Languages Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 22
25 November 2014 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
In Montreal, I try to follow local customs for picking which languages to use. The people of Montreal have always been so unfailingly polite to me about these issues that I want to return the kindness by figuring out the local customs. In public places, this means defaulting to French (or using "Bonjour hello") unless I have evidence to the contrary.

In other situations, I rely on my unfair advantages: If somebody speaks French with my wife, then I assume that I'm supposed to use French, too.

If I'm travelling by myself, then it depends on the context. In a French-speaking context, I'll prefer French. In an English-speaking context, well, it depends on whether people are bored and looking for something to chat about, and also how much I want to explain where I learned my French, etc. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6370 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 10 of 22
27 November 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I usually just go ahead and say a few things in the language if I'm good at it. I never speak a language unless I'm good at it. If they keep speaking whatever other boring language, I don't force it. It's evident whether they're excited or annoyed that I speak it. I don't usually make too much of an effort to speak with people by chance, because:

1: If I need speaking opportunities, I could use iTalki.
2: I've always found that speaking a language isn't a very effective way of learning it. It's good to get your fluidity up, but then you only need to speak fluidly if you, well, need to speak it. And if you need to speak it, you'll obviously get speaking practice and thus develop your fluidity.

In practice, I get some speaking practice with Cantonese (because I often go to HK) and Mandarin (because Mandarin speakers are everywhere), but rarely if ever speak French, Spanish or Portuguese, since it's very rare to encounter people who speak these languages in Sweden/Norway.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5849 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 11 of 22
27 November 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
It depends on the situation:

1. With languages I'm fluent in, I pick a moment to say something pertinent and articulate. If you're with French people and say "oui", they won't know whether you can speak their language or not, and are not able to decide whether to include you in the conversation. If you go and say instead "je vous conseille la morue, car c'est la spécialité de la maison", you have a conversation starter.

2. With languages I'm more or less good at, I do the same thing, but I also warn people about my limitations. I try to do that after a few exchanges (with German, for instance). When people know your knowledge has shortcomings, they usually cut you some slack.

3. With the ones I only know a little, I only use them if the knowledge of the language itself is the theme of the conversation. I've had some interesting exchanges (I wouldn't call them "conversations") with Arabs based on that assumption.

Edited by Luso on 27 November 2014 at 8:15pm

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 22
28 November 2014 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
I never speak a language unless I'm good at it.

I agree in principle, I prefer to only use a language socially if I'm good at it (or if not, at least better than they are at English!), but I find that it's not really that simple! Often I'm good at a language one day then awful at it the next day, and I don't really know how my ability will be at any given moment until I open my mouth. Other people who emphasise active skills tend to have similar experiences.

Ari wrote:
1: If I need speaking opportunities, I could use iTalki.
2: I've always found that speaking a language isn't a very effective way of learning it. It's good to get your fluidity up, but then you only need to speak fluidly if you, well, need to speak it. And if you need to speak it, you'll obviously get speaking practice and thus develop your fluidity.

I don't need to speak fluidly, but I want to speak fluidly. I'm not criticising your argument, just saying that my situation is different; my main goal in learning languages is to speak them well. Things are trickier when I don't get regular opportunities to use the language but I would like to be able to use it well (fluidly) when I do get the opportunities! But I suppose that brings me to your point number 1: maybe I just need to put my money where my mouth is and set aside some time and cash for iTalki.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 13 of 22
28 November 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Similarly, if you're at a party and overhear a group speaking your TL, would you just go and join them and start speaking in it?

Absolutely. People all over the world do that to groups of native English speakers so as far as I'm concerned, it has to work both ways.
8 persons have voted this message useful

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4401 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 14 of 22
30 November 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
It so happened that just the other day I was having my lunch and overheard two
colleagues from another department that I don't know speaking in Russian. I was
(obviously) eavesdropping and as it was a slightly delicate matter they were
discussing I decided not to interrupt. Anyhow, my desire to finally have a chat in
Russian (there aren't many around here) was bigger than myself and luckily as I was
going out of the canteen one of the girls held the door for me, so I said "спасибо".
She was first confused and surprised then very cheerful indeed and we had a lovely
conversation and it turned out she's a language enthusiast too. Few days after I met
her on another occasion and I just asked her "Как дела?" and after responding she said
to her colleague: "See, he can speak my language" with a broad smile.
Honestly it made my day, given that I always look down on my speaking abilities in
Russian.

Generally I never miss a chance to have even a basic conversation in a language that
I've studied or study. It's amazing how a simple "ευχαριστο" can make a person from
sour to smiling in second as it once happened to me. :)

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 15 of 22
01 December 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
garyb wrote:
Similarly, if you're at a party and overhear a group
speaking your TL, would you just go and join them and start speaking in it?

Absolutely. People all over the world do that to groups of native English speakers so
as far as I'm concerned, it has to work both ways.

This is the theory, and I agree heartily herewith, but in practise it almost never
happens, as it usually works in one way; people approach or switch to English and if
an Anglophone does the inverse, they often give the Anglophone either no chance or
"conditional chance" if they are advanced enough. However, Anglophones are approached
and the non-native Anglophone expects and usually gets his or her wish to continue in
English even if their skill level is A0.1-A1 and take about 15 seconds to complete a
simple sentence. Also the added "open secret" or "fact" that permeates non-native
Anglophones that they think that Anglophones simply can speak no foreign languages, so
a struggling A1 English speaker can get practise with all of the Anglophones, and the
Anglohpones have no choice but to accept this. This at least has been my general
experience of over a decade of language learning: "Oh you are an English speaker/from
Britain/USA/Western Canada/Australia/New Zealand? Let me speak some English with you,
not like you know anything else anyway..."

It is almost always a pain in the arse for Anglophones. However, in the Hispanophone
world, or meeting Hispanophones is always easy, they never second-guess nor switch,
not because I studied their language to at least C1 for 11 years, but because the
general level of English is so piss poor (save some exceptions for example those who
are exposed to English in school more than other Hispanophone areas, such as in Buenos
Aires, Puerto Rico, or Andalucía) that continuing in Spanish is basically the only
choice, or at least is much more comodable for them than English. Even in the UK,
meeting Spanish and Argentinians in Manchester, Newcastle, Glasgow, Liverpool, they
have always been happy I switch into Spanish with them. Not many natives of other
languages are so forgiving in this respect towards Anglophones.

Even here in San Francisco, I would say 100% of the time native Hispanophones (of
which they are much more than in the UK) are happy to speak in Spanish with me,
despite my having an uncommon accent for the region (Peninsular and sometimes practise
an Argentinian one).

To resume, I think that the best target languages speakers with whom to approach for
speaking are those whose English is absolutely horrible or A1 at most, so that there
is no "temptation".

Edited by 1e4e6 on 01 December 2014 at 12:32am

3 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4737 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 16 of 22
01 December 2014 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
I don't know, I have never had Germans or French speakers switch on me due to LACK of understanding my speech. Was my language level THAT high (compared to even many colleagues here at HTLAL, which I am sure are as smart and dedicated as I am), when I finally decided starting to speak? (which was well into year 2 of my learning the languages.)

Occasionally I have had a German speaker continue in English after I began speaking German, and maybe a handful of times a French person or Quebecois, but they never told me to stop replying in their mother language, and clearly understood me since replying the pertinent response even in English requires they had understood my statement in the other language.

I think my French and German can use a lot of improvement, but trying very hard not to brag, I have noticed after about 5 years in this life-changing adventure that my goals and my language ability ratings are 90% much more exigent than the average folk out there. In other words, if I see myself as needing improvement in X language, almost all other non-native speakers that CONSIDER THEMSELVES SPEAKERS (and indeed can participate in conversation groups), tell me invariably that I'm more advanced than they are and that my language skills really don't need much improvement at all.

This is a typical example of the "the more you learn, the less you know" effect.

Anyway, to answer curtly, I switch ALMOST immediately into German, French, and Portuguese where I work, by simply replying or making a comment in the target language. Surprise and sometimes shock usually ensue, followed by the obligatory 5 statements:

1. Oh, you speak _____!
2. It is very good!
3. Where did you live in ______?
4. How di you learn then?
5. Where are you from?

Outside of work, I rarely talk to strangers in the street, so I really have no particular strategy. However, if tourists stop me for information or direction, and usually I can guess through a combination of foreign English accent / clothing / and facial features where they are from, I respond in their language... followed by the obligatory 5 statements!

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version