United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4129 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 9 of 15
30 November 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
First of all, I love that you made "DLPT" into a verb! And congratulations! I believe DLP 3 corresponds to roughly a C1. It's really interesting to see Pashto in category IV actually--I didn't realize it required that much more time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5254 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 10 of 15
08 March 2015 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Honestly, the language itself isn't all that hard. It was originally Cat 3 and only
required 44 weeks, but so many people failed the course that they increased it to cat 4
and 64 weeks. Now it's actually quite easy. I felt like I could've easily passed the DLPT
around week 50 or so. The difficulty of the language is in the dearth of information and
resources outside of DLI and the massive difference between spoken colloquial Pashto and
"written" Pashto, which isn't even remotely standardized.

Edited by Silvance on 08 March 2015 at 3:19pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5526 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 15
08 March 2015 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Do you have people or ressources to help you with colloquial Pashto? It sounds really interesting.

daristani
United States
Joined 6904 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 12 of 15
12 March 2015 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
I'd like to second Bao's request for information on the materials used for Pashto at DLI. The website with the DLI courses, most of them fairly old, includes a rather newish Dari course with a great deal of materials, both written and audio, that was prepared for the military in Afghanistan, but I've never seen, nor heard of, a similar set of materials for Pashto, although I would assume that there might well have been such. Bearing in mind any restrictions that may appply, could you comment on the materials you used in your studies at DLI, as well as on any possibility that they might be released to the public?

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5254 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 

Message 13 of 15
12 March 2015 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Honestly, the Pashto course material is extremely new, maybe only a couple years old.
Definitely not new enough to be public domain yet. The course materials prior to this was
similar, but they forgot to put dots. Imagine an Arabic, Uzbek, or Dari course with all
the proper script except missing every. single. dot. That was the previous course
material. How anyone learned with that, I'll never know. Before that the course was just
a newspaper, a few teachers, and some audios. As far as languages at DLI go, Pashto is
quite new and has an extremely limited supply of information. The only course I can think
of that's newer than Pashto is the Urdu course, which is infamously bad at DLI because of
how new it is.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5080 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 14 of 15
12 March 2015 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Silvance wrote:
Honestly, the Pashto course material is extremely new, maybe only a couple years old. Definitely not new enough to be public domain yet.

AFAIK, with a few exceptions, U. S. government works are not entitled to domestic copyright protection under U.S. law. I.e., it doesn't really matter how old the course is.
IMHO, the U.S. government shoots itself in the foot by not making these materials publicly available, because, AFAIK, Pashto speakers are still in high demand.   
3 persons have voted this message useful

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5254 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 

Message 15 of 15
13 March 2015 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Silvance wrote:
Honestly, the Pashto course material is extremely
new, maybe only a couple years old. Definitely not new enough to be public domain yet.

AFAIK, with a few exceptions,
U.
S. government works
are not entitled to domestic copyright protection
under U.S. law. I.e., it doesn't really matter how old the course is.
IMHO, the U.S. government shoots itself in the foot by not making these materials
publicly available, because, AFAIK, Pashto speakers are still in high demand.   

When I was there, the Pashto course still wasn't in PDF format, so that might still be
the case. Also, remember that DLI is meant to prepare linguists for military
intelligence, therefore some of the materials used in the course might be classified
and need declassification before they can be released.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version