Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5080 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 1 of 3
26 November 2014 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
There's a relatively new free German audiobooks website, legamus.eu. One of the latest recordings, a collection of horror stories, is also available as a free ePub ebook, which contains both the new German translations and the original English stories.

EDIT: I had a closer look at the German translations of the horror stories and noticed that they were apparently done by a non-professional translator, because they contain a couple of minor mistakes.
German language learners may want to check out the non-translated German audiobooks hosted by legamus.

Edited by Doitsujin on 26 November 2014 at 11:30am

6 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5626 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 2 of 3
26 November 2014 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
This looks to be an excellent resource. I have downloaded the Horror Kurzgeschichten I story
that you linked. The original English version was written in 1896. Can you comment on how
"modern" the German translation is? Are most of the German words and expressions in current
usage or are they rather outdated.

Would you be able to provide similar comments on some of the other German translations?

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5080 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 3
26 November 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
This looks to be an excellent resource. I have downloaded the Horror Kurzgeschichten I story that you linked. The original English version was written in 1896. Can you comment on how "modern" the German translation is?

The German translation is brand-new. I.e., it's as modern as it gets. However, it occasionally misses some nuances of the English original stories and there are some minor translation mistakes in some of the stories.

tommus wrote:
Would you be able to provide similar comments on some of the other German translations?

The other German audiobooks are all German originals, which were originally published after 1923 but before 1944.

Edited by Doitsujin on 26 November 2014 at 8:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version