Sakanage
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3449 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 1 of 11
26 November 2014 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Well i`m try few months learn the Hiragana but failed , i already tried put 1 hiragana
per card on Anki to study but the progress was minimum and only reinforced what i know a
little then i want hear other from other people how they learned to try find another way
to learn it .
1 person has voted this message useful

Fenn
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4687 days ago

51 posts - 119 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 11
26 November 2014 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I used this course on memrise

http://www.memrise.com/course/58584/basic-hiragana-1/.

http://www.memrise.com/course/58802/basic-hiragana-2-2/

And the Katakana

http://www.memrise.com/course/63113/basic-katakana-1/

http://www.memrise.com/course/73983/basic-katakana-2-2/

3 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5562 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 11
27 November 2014 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
I copied the entire table by hand a couple of times first, and whenever I had a free minute I tried to write the entire table from memory. It took me around one week to learn to write all of them consistently, which seems to be average.
5 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3703 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Studies: German, French

Message 4 of 11
29 November 2014 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I copied the entire table by hand a couple of times first, and whenever I had a free minute I tried to write the entire table from memory. It took me around one week to learn to write all of them consistently, which seems to be average.

This. Actually write them out by hand. I learned the whole alphabet a while ago in a few days by frequently writing them down. Also, try some mnemonics: One I specifically remember is the symbol for "tsu" looks kind of like a wave, so I'd think "tsunami".

Also, learn them in groups by the main vowel. Learn all the "a"s together, the "i"s, the "u"s, and so on.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5562 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 11
29 November 2014 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
Actually, I should explain my previous post.

First of all, I had set my mind to learning Japanese. I knew people can learn the kana, so in my mind it was just a question of how long it'd take me. And I thought, learning the kana was something very basic, and so I should get over with it.
So I made a game out of it and quizzed myself whenever I had a spare moment. Some kana I could write immediately, others took longer to learn. But that was alright, it just showed me which ones I had to concentrate on. (It doesn't matter if it takes you two days or two months to learn, in the end what counts is that you know them. Though, I think you should see progress during that time.)
I quizzed myself by writing by hand because it seemed to be the obvious thing to do for a script. Later I read about the testing effect, and I guess that's what I used.

I know other people practice by writing words in languages they know in other scripts, and it works for them. (Doesn't work for me.)

But in general, I think, if you struggle with learning it can be because you're going too fast - or too slowly. Like riding a bicycle, you lose control when you go too fast or too slowly.

Edited by Bao on 01 December 2014 at 1:42pm

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3621 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 11
02 December 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
I would also note that some of the characters look very similar but have different sounds. So do focus on what makes "Ne" different from "Re", and the differences between "E", "U", and "Tsu". "A" and "O" also look similar.

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5337 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 7 of 11
13 January 2015 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
It took me about a week total to learn Kana when I was taking Japanese in college and it really was just a matter of me writing them down in order, a lot. No flash cards, just writing. For Katakana I would also read Japanese fast food menus.

My method was: Write the first row. Cover that and write the first two rows, cover that and write the first three rows, and so on. I would say the kana, in my head or out loud while writing them and basically would write them whenever I had a any free time in my day and I was near a pen and paper.

I should note that my Japanese class also used Genki 1 as a textbook which stops using romanji after the first few chapters which I think is smart.

dandt
Australia
regarderetlire.wordp
Joined 4420 days ago

134 posts - 174 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 8 of 11
29 January 2015 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
We studied Japanese all through school, and we were ten when we started and to learn hirigana, they were all made
into pictures. I don't remember many of the pictures or stories that went with them, but I do remember U was an old
lady and something hit her on her back, so she said ooh. Things like that. Ku for kookaburra, ki was key. She has
long flowing hair (shi). Ke was a keg. This sheet is
very similar. Granted, we were young, so that sort of thing really did help and appeal, but something like that might
help you remember some of them now.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version