Tags: Study Plan
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
63 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 68 Next >>
noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5136 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 49 of 63
17 December 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
For 2015, I am going to aim for the Paris-Sorbonne C2 certification in April 2015...although I have already passed the DALF C2 and DFP Affaires C2 exams, the thought of reading a book like Camus' "la peste" in French is undescribably exciting! Though I must say there's a huge difference between reading a book for pleasure and having to take an exam on literature...

1 person has voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4855 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 50 of 63
17 December 2014 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
I plan to avoid starting any new languages, so as not to be spread too thin (Historically a hard goal for me).

With the ones I'm already studying, I hope to successfully read a novel in Mandarin, and bring my Cantonese,
Korean, and Japanese to the level where I can have a conversation without constantly asking for help.

Edited by robarb on 17 December 2014 at 11:36pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4842 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 51 of 63
18 December 2014 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
I am spending all of 2015 in Mexico to finally go from intermediate to (hopefully!) fluent in Spanish. Pushing
myself passed my introverted tendencies and TALK with people stranger is going to be my main focus. ;)
4 persons have voted this message useful

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3434 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Studies: French

Message 52 of 63
18 December 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
1. Complete Assimil New French With Ease and Using French.

2. Complete the 120 lessons of Pimsleur French enough times for confident
performance.

3. Complete a comprehensive course covering topics through intermediate grammar,
like FSI Basic (but could be another).

4. Also finish my Duolingo tree and get a 5/5 on their test.

(5.) Spanish - I actually have more of a study background for Spanish and more socio-
economic reasons to learn it, so a sub-goal I have is to at least get back up to my
previous competency (which was probably high A1) but using French-based materials
to do so. I think I will have to complete the above goals before I start on this. I would
probably use Duolingo and Assimil for this. This is an optional goal.

(6.) I would like to learn the Russian alphabet, pronunciation, and some simple
greetings. If I could do this in a couple weeks of study, that would be awesome, but if
not I probably don't have time. This is another optional goal.

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4184 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, French, Esperanto

Message 53 of 63
19 December 2014 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
1. To quote South Park, if I could reach B2 in French and German by the end of 2015, "I would be sooo happy".
(I think this is actually very possible in French. German might take more work, but since I'm more passionate about German, I may wind up surprising myself)

2. Finish FSI French. I think this is very likely to happen, as long as I stay motivated and keep my eyes on the prize. I also want to start FSI German, and maybe even Assimil Perfectionnemt Allemand, but I doubt I could finish these by year's end.

3. Read the Harry Potter series in French. That shouldn't be too difficult, I've read the originals in English and really enjoyed them.

4. Broaden my viewing habits to include more original French and German films. So far, I've been watching American series and films I'm already familiar with dubbed in French, and while this is very helpful for listening practice, I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on learning about "real" French cinema. I've seen a few French films, mainly older ones, and I rather enjoyed some of them. There are quite a few available on Hulu, and I figure if I'm paying for the subscription, I may as well take advantage. I'd also like to watch some original German films, I really am totally ignorant in this area...I think I've seen "Run Lola Run", and that's about the extent of my exposure to German cinema.

5. If I actually succeed in getting French and German up to B2, then I think it may be time to bring my Spanish back from the dead. I don't necessarily love the language, but it is extremely important and useful where I live, and I was actually quite good at it back in high school. I'll certainly turn to Assimil for this (although in a French base, to keep practicing).

That's about it...and it should keep me busy for the year!

Creciente
United Kingdom
Joined 3422 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 54 of 63
21 December 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
My plans;

I am planning to take a Dele exam to ascertain the level of Spanish in the summer. I am hoping to move Spanish into the speaking category by the Summer and say I am a B2 through most skills. I will do this by watching a lot more TV series and films in Spanish.
Goal- B2 Spanish in all categories

I also want to greatly improve my Japanese over the 12 months. I will do this by using Japanese pod 101 and reading into the Kanji on JLPT study.

Goal for 2015- A2 Japanese in majority of communication.

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4842 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 55 of 63
22 December 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Creciente wrote:
I am planning to take a Dele exam to ascertain the level of Spanish in
the summer.

How expensive and logistically-challenging is it to take a DELE exam? I've always been
curious about how I'd do, but have never wanted to spend much money on it.

I wonder if us HTLAL folks could "grade" each other based on sample exams? (Assuming
full samples exist...)

Creciente
United Kingdom
Joined 3422 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 56 of 63
24 December 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I am based in the UK - so the prices span from £100-£130ish depending on what level of Dele exam you take. I believe they have exams in London. I'm not sure the costs in the US unfortunately.
I literally have no idea where I'm at, so I think it will be interesting to take an exam and really study hard over the next few months for the end goal.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version