Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 113 of 116
13 December 2014 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:
I s**t you not

Who came up with that syntax anyway?

Jeffers wrote:
In my limited experience, people who start a sentence with "I literally... " usually have
something stupid or inane to say,

Like when someone says, "I literally s**t my pants", and you start sniffing to find out if they're stupid
or not?

Edited by luke on 13 December 2014 at 12:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6375 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 114 of 116
13 December 2014 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
It's like saying "You shouldn't say 'pardon my French' unless you're actually speaking French.

I wonder what the French say

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4687 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 115 of 116
13 December 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:
I s**t you not

Who came up with that syntax anyway?

Your Google-fu is weak today, my friend.

Here's a discussion about "I kid you not", in which one person suggests it evolved into "I s**t you not". That makes sense to me.

Edited by Jeffers on 13 December 2014 at 9:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4485 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 116 of 116
21 December 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Yes, I've heard some language "authorities" (scare quotes
because these are simply people with popular blogs, not credentials) criticize some
learners for reasons that, at the end of the day, were not necessarily deficiencies in
their learning styles, but rather just a result of people seeking different goals.
Some want to read famous works, some want to talk at a "sophisticated" level, some
want to be able to make small talk with locals, some are just fascinated by different
grammars and sounds and don't mind just tasting languages. It complicates things
terribly, but nevertheless, these are all perfectly legitimate aims.

There's also the problem that before you sound sophisticated, you're going to sound
unsophisticated... this stage of "I feel like a clown" is something everyone learning
languages that is going through the upper levels where speaking well is important will
recognize.

As for aural media, I do consume it, but I don't find anything interesting in
listening to something I can't understand, whereas with reading I can look it up.
That's why I start with speaking to human beings, because here I can listen in context
and figure out how natives truly speak.

Holy moly two-sentence run-on mix-up extravaganza!

Edited by tarvos on 21 December 2014 at 2:06pm

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version