SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4106 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 9 of 19
05 December 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Wonderful post! But I'd like to add: on the other side of the coin, a big ego /
competitive spirit can also help! If you tend to think of yourself as someone above
average, an individual, cut out for difficult tasks like language learning, then this is
no bad thing. It's a quality which puts you in gear to self-improve - to match the
inflated self-image you have of yourself. It seems to me that every high achiever must
have had some grain of narcissism in them, even if their attitude to their task is highly
reverential and, towards themselves, self-effacing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3623 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 10 of 19
07 December 2014 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Going along with what Retinend said, I think self-security is important for learning to speak a language (not so much, say, learning to read Ancient Greek): you will have a happier time talking to natives if you know that you have inner value and that language mistakes are not going to lower your value.

As for a recipe for self-security, I can't say; some people definitely have security from the get-go, and some people build it up as they make life choices.
2 persons have voted this message useful

epictetus
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3680 days ago

54 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 19
07 December 2014 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:

Patrick Süskind wrote:
... experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.

H. Jackson Brown Jr. wrote:
Every person that you meet knows something you don't; learn from them.

When one is humble, one can learn that continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result is madness. There
will be times when a language will catch you in your hubris and bite you. Being humble in language-learning also means that
you accept you aren't as good as you think and go back to try to figure out how to improve that troubling point or concept.
When a new member isn't humble- "I'm asking for advice but (left unsaid, but obvious) I'm going to ignore all of it", the
results are quite predictable and inevitable- crash and burn.

As to what fields the experience of learning a language can be useful- I believe it is useful to all of them. The process of
learning a language to a high level teaches a learner discipline, humility, pattern recognition, patience, tolerance for
your own mistakes and those of others who are not as experienced as you.
It can give you a big self-esteem lift. It also
teaches another culture and tolerance of those who speak another language and struggle with your own, because you, yourself,
have been down that very same road.

Right after the Golden Rule, I find that humility has a tried and true pedigree throughout human history. A truly universal
skill that should help anyone, any time, for the rest of their lives. Well said, iguanamon.

"Time management" and "productivity" are really just products of more fundamental virtues such as discipline and patience.
3 persons have voted this message useful

solocricket
Tetraglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3474 days ago

68 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Icelandic, Korean, Polish

Message 12 of 19
17 December 2014 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
In terms of "cold" skills, I've found that after my first couple of languages, I
certainly have a mindset towards listening and reading gobbledegook and trying to piece
it together and make some sense of it, rather than depending heavily only on courses or
SRS sentences. I work in the legal field, so I think being used to puzzling things out is
quite helpful at work.

Also, when someone has learned a language, they know it can be done, so that confidence
probably translates to greater success in subsequent languages.

5 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4857 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 13 of 19
17 December 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
retinend wrote:

on the other side of the coin, a big ego /
competitive spirit can also help! If you tend to think of yourself as someone above
average, an individual, cut out for difficult tasks like language learning, then this is
no bad thing. It's a quality which puts you in gear to self-improve - to match the
inflated self-image you have of yourself. It seems to me that every high achiever must
have had some grain of narcissism in them, even if their attitude to their task is highly
reverential and, towards themselves, self-effacing.

When it comes to large numbers of languages, I think this becomes important. While I'm quick to point out the
limitations of my skills and my respect for the great polyglots, language teachers, and HTLALers who do things I
can't do, there is some part of me that looks at Arguelles or Mezzofanti and says, "I think I could do even more
than that if I really tried." And I think that mindset is very helpful for even coming close to what those people
have done.

Another essential trait for polyglots, I think, is the tendency towards being an autodidact. You can learn a lot of
great things through the normal channels of human society, but if you want to do something crazy like learn 30+
languages, you sort of have to be the kind of person who'd spend upwards of 15,000 hours making that happen
on your own initiative.

As for mastering one or a few foreign languages, a more practical pursuit that lots of non-crazies aspire to do,
it's probably much more important to have language learning "aptitude," which is some sort of composite of
memory, auditory processing, sequence processing intelligence, etc. You can predict someone's learning
outcomes fairly well by measuring their aptitude using a test, plus a measure of their motivation.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 19
18 December 2014 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
epictetus wrote:
Right after the Golden Rule, I find that humility has a tried and true pedigree throughout human history.

The golden rule is overrated and simplified. I almost lost a friend over it as we were both trying to take our friendship to a new level by behaving the way we wanted the other to behave. As our wishes/expectations were not the same, we ended up upsetting each other a lot and it took us incredibly long to make sense of all that.

The real challenge is doing/saying/remembering things that feel pointless and unimportant to you but matter to the other person. And understanding that other people's thought process works differently from your own. This applies to communicating with L2 speakers too.

Edited by Serpent on 18 December 2014 at 2:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3711 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 15 of 19
24 December 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the replies, I was curious, because I've been to several places where the signage was in different languages (Wales, Scotland, Ireland), and I picked up a fair number of words simply by reading the bilingual signs and paying attention to word order, and was wondering if that meant I might have something. I do realize that the vast majority of people in these places do not speak their native tongues very much or at all. Which is another reason I asked about this. I do not wish to learn every language, my rule is it must be living and spoken by someone somewhere, and spoken enough that I might actually get to use it someday.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3897 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 16 of 19
24 December 2014 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Tyrion101 wrote:
I was curious, because I've been to several places where the signage was in different languages (Wales, Scotland, Ireland), and I picked up a fair number of words simply by reading the bilingual signs and paying attention to word order, and was wondering if that meant I might have something.

This is a fun exercise (I love it, and I do it all the time in Breton), but from what I've seen it doesn't lead to much beyond feeling smug about understanding bilingual signs.

Through playing the game with me, my husband has learned the common geographical words and the noun-adjective word order. Sometimes he sees a sign and knows what something means (or asks me to translate a single word and so that he might put everything together)... but it doesn't mean that he's remotely close to speaking Breton. For one thing, signs don't generally include verbs, so he doesn't know a single verb or its position in your average sentence...

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version