Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Cortina Languages -- Closing Out Sale ???

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 9
02 December 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
I just received an Email from Cortina Languagesadvising of a Buy One, Get One Free Sale.. I had completely forgotten that I was still on their mailing list! Apparently, this sale applies to telephone orders only. So, here is the telephone number: 800-245-2145.

It has been a few years since I purchased Cortina German Course and I notice that they have raised their prices slightly: now 149.50 $US for the comprehensive course (note that with this offer, two courses are available at this price). When I logged on to their website, I noticed that they are announcing a 30% reduction. Hmm, since the "Buy one, get one free" sale is for phone orders only and that it is valid only as long as supplies last, I find myself wondering if this is not really a closing out sale.

For those of you who have not tried the Cortina method, I would say that it is "somewhat" similar to the Linguaphone method. The core learning material is a series of extended conversations. The lessons begin with an introduction to the new vocabulary, are followed by the conversations, both of which are recordedd. There are no drills or other practice material. The conversations are presented in the small course book in columnar fashion along with an English translation and a phonetic pronunciation guide. The course notes are located (in miniscule print) at the bottom of the page in a manner reminiscent of the Linguaphone or Assimil methods. However, and this is a plus, the notes are referenced to a surprisingly well-constructed grammar at the back of the course book. The package also includes a small text of readings as well as a small dictionary. The audio recordings are delivered on 8 CDs. Given that the courses were last updated in the 1950’s, the recordings are surprisingly clear. The cadence of the speakers is quite slow, almost painfully so. However, this is not necessarily a drawback for the student who intends supplementing this course with other material. In my view, the Cortina method is rather dated (men no longer wear Fedoras, nor more than they make Atlantic crossings bysteamship); however, it is still quite solid. Personally, I prefer the Assimil and Linguaphone methods. Nonetheless, the present sale price (2 courses for 149 $US) is quite reasonable, IF you like the method.

Edited by Speakeasy on 02 December 2014 at 3:01am

3 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3706 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 2 of 9
02 December 2014 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
I always thought these were older courses but the Master Linguist series on the website looks pretty modern. Are these just revamped versions of the old ones? Also, they seem to come with a bunch of materials (from the pics) but the descriptions dont say anything about language levels. Would this be good for an early intermediate stage or are they just beginner courses? Thanks for posting

Edited by soclydeza85 on 02 December 2014 at 5:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 9
02 December 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
The Master Linguist course is still built around the 1950s 'In 20 lessons' course
book - but just has some extras with it such as self testing and a book of (unrecorded)
conversations.

Edited by Elexi on 02 December 2014 at 2:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 4 of 9
02 December 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Elexi is correct. The latest edition of these courses seems to have been introduced in 1952. Any "updates" to the course have probably been in the recording media (33-1/3 rpm records, 45 rpm records, cassettes, CDs) and in the packaging. The contents of the course textbook are exactly the same as the corresponding "Conversational" book, such as Conversational German: In 20 Lessons (Cortina Method), which is not sold with the audio recordings.

The additional material in the Master Linguist course includes the recordings, which are essential to the learning process, a small graded reader, a small dictionary, some very cursory self-testing material, and the storage case. The books in the Master Linguist course are hard bound, whereas the Conversational book is soft bound. In my opinion, (a) the dictionary is not as good as virtually any other small dictionary that can be found elsewhere, (b) while the graded reader is fine, other options exist, (c) the storage case is a little cheap, (d) the testing material is cursory and of little value and (e) the recordings should simply be offered with the Conversational book and the rest of the material discarded.

The course is quite conventional and, for the period, it was probably one of the very best in its category. The only drawback, which, in my opinion, it is of no particular consequence, is that the dialogues present the world as it was in the 1950’s. A very small portion of the vocabulary is no longer current and the situations on which the dialogues are based appear to have been drawn from an early 1950’s high school documentary on middle class social etiquette. This is not a criticism, it is merely an observation and, in my opinion, one can still learn the basics of a language with the Cortina method. The sale prices, either (a) buy one, get one free for 149$, or (b) buy one at 130$ less 30%, make this an attractive offer, if one can accept the minor drawbacks.

I suspect that the current owners of the rights to the Cortina method do not have the resources to update the dialogues and that they are not interested in introducing a more modern course (which would actually include less material) that would be presented online and be replete with colourful images of smiling, attractive, engaging adolescents enjoying life in Germany, Spain, France and elsewhere. It may be that they are selling off their remaining inventory and withdrawing from the market.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5364 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 9
02 December 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Ooops sorry, when I said a book of (unrecorded) conversations, I meant to say a book of
(unrecorded) readings.

As a result of Cortina, I can now talk to my wife's German relations about taking the
steam ship from New York to Hamburg. It's that dated!

Still, at the same time it is a nice course to take on the train or bus and listen to.

Edited by Elexi on 02 December 2014 at 11:18pm

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5232 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 6 of 9
04 December 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I have several of their Conversational books in my library that I've picked up for pennies over the years. I'd like to have the audio to go with them, but I'd never pay this kind of money for it. I'd drop a few bucks on mp3s though. If they are closing up shop, I hope the recordings show up online in some form. I generally like older textbooks and it's kind of a shame that more folks don't self-produce recordings for them (like Evan does with Latinum).

psy88
United States
Joined 5390 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 7 of 9
09 December 2014 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I have used Cortina for Spanish (the full program,with cd's) and for French(book only). I liked them. No, they are not my favorite (I really prefer Pimsleur, MT,and,Assimil)but I did find them useful. The textbook with grammar explanations is very helpful. Yes, you get the words for outdated things, like the "steamship", but so what? I have found the vocabulary useful for some movies and some telenovelas that were set in the past.

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3851 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 8 of 9
15 April 2015 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
UPDATE

Recently, I received another Email from Cortina Languages advising me of their Inventory Reduction Sale. I get the impression that "this is it" and that they're closing down.

Okay, okay, I couldn't resist, and I ordered their Italian course that, if it were not for the sale prices, I would normally pass on. Well, despite the somewhat aging nature of their materials, I must say that I am still impressed by their overall quality.

As an aside, their sale prices are, indeed, much lower than their regular prices. However, when I placed my order (for shipment to Canada), I was rather surprised by the shipping charges. I'm not sure how this would affect sales with the U.S.A. or to other locations. Nonetheless, I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. But, then again, I like their products whereas not everyone does.

Edited by Speakeasy on 16 April 2015 at 3:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version