20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5029 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 17 of 20
15 December 2014 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Give yourself time for swimming freely in the sea of L2, otherwise you'll find it hard to speak without thinking in L1 first and translating. Which is basically the root of your problem - you sound unnatural because you don't seem to think in L2.

I have this problem, too, but I'm not sure how to get around it. When I try to think in Latin, I find myself first coming up with an English thought, and then translating it into Latin. My hope is that if I keep this up, eventually my brain will start bypassing the English and think directly in Latin. But it's tricky thus far.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6383 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 18 of 20
15 December 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
I can imagine it being tough in Latin, since there's little in the way of audio input. My stock solution for this problem is lots of listening.

hobom
Triglot
Joined 4018 days ago

33 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 19 of 20
23 December 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
The points that have been raised so far in this thread are very relevant and helpful, but one question remains unanswered:

How do you actually find the idiomatic way to say something?
This question has really been bothering me, and the usual suggestion to get more input is not really helping me. Sure, input is absolutely crucial if you want to get a feel on what works in a language and what does not. But it is a very long-term strategy, and it does not really help when I am writing a text.

So which resources are available? Emk mentioned good advanced learners' dictionaries, can somebody recommend a particular one?

How about translation databases like lingueehttp://www.linguee.de/? The way they work is that you enter an expression in your native language, and the engine finds instances of that phrase being translated into your target language, thus giving you the opportunity to see that phrase used in context and real text (not something that google translate created).

In theory that would be a great tool, but the translations that website uses are often horrible, and as a learner you might not recognize that.

If I enter star gazing, the German results usually use "sternenbeobachtung" which is a quite literal and decidedly unnatural translation, but somebody learning German might not know that.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 20
23 December 2014 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Find several alternatives and google them. Rephrase it and look up again. Ask a native speaker. Sometimes you just have to give up and choose the more simple way.

(For Russian, multitran.ru is a good resource.)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version