Joined 5310 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 28
30 December 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Tupiniquim wrote:
With sound clip, screenshot, L2 text including both previous and following lines, it's nearly impossible to fail those cards. I'm starting to wonder whether I should have kept emk's standard card layout after all. I'm still mulling over it, only hesitating because my priority is reading, not listening comprehension.

First, a question: are you starting to notice that certain subs2srs cards are getting stuck in your head? Or can you least remember them, the same way you'd remember the intro to your favorite TV show? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about the difficulty.

But if you want to make your cards harder, here are two possibilities:

1. Edit your template to put the L1 text on the back.
2. Use Subtitle Edit to make the cards a bit longer: 80, 120 or 160 characters, for example.

Tupiniquim wrote:
Both Sprachprofi and emk do complementary grammar study, not drills, but something more informative outside of the Anki guesswork. I have not regularly done so up to this point, but I'm starting to feel the need.

My grammar study is pretty pathetic, actually—an hour or two here or there. It helps a lot, though, especially after I've done a bunch of cards and seen a lot of it already.

But then again, I tend to learn grammar pretty quickly. If somebody had a harder time with grammar, or didn't know their own language well, I could definitely imagine combining subs2srs with more "study" time. Basically, I think the important thing isn't to stress over needing to know everything right now. There's always time to come back to stuff later, and even weird grammar will seem intuitive after enough examples from subs2srs, L/R, etc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5861 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 26 of 28
31 December 2014 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

First, a question: are you starting to notice that certain subs2srs cards are getting stuck in your head? Or can you least remember them, the same way you'd remember the intro to your favorite TV show?

Not yet for most cards, at least not with all that familiarity (I can only recall a couple of very short ones such as Этот клиент свинья - this customer is a pig). But none of my subs2srs cards have matured yet, I've been working on them for a little over a week (my stats include previous work with the Kafka deck). And I remember reading in your log that you advised another user to wait until the cards mature in order to pass judgement, so I think I'm going to give some more time.

emk wrote:

1. Edit your template to put the L1 text on the back.
2. Use Subtitle Edit to make the cards a bit longer: 80, 120 or 160 characters, for example.

I do feel like I'm ready to turn most of my already seen subs2srs cards into your original layout, but I'm not so sure about the unseen ones. Maybe I'm being chicken and it wouldn't be that difficult after all. It doesn't hurt to try anyway, since it's easy to edit the layout to do/undo the change.

emk wrote:
My grammar study is pretty pathetic, actually—an hour or two here or there. It helps a lot, though, especially after I've done a bunch of cards and seen a lot of it already.

But then again, I tend to learn grammar pretty quickly. If somebody had a harder time with grammar, or didn't know their own language well, I could definitely imagine combining subs2srs with more "study" time. Basically, I think the important thing isn't to stress over needing to know everything right now. There's always time to come back to stuff later, and even weird grammar will seem intuitive after enough examples from subs2srs, L/R, etc.

I pick up vocabulary relatively easy, but I'm not that good with grammar. I'm already noticing some pretty basic patterns, like "л" is used to form the past tense, "ся" seems to form reflexive verbs. Simple stuff. But noun declensions are completely foreign to me, and I'm not picking up on which declension should fit which situation yet (дом, дома, дому, доме, домом?). I notice that I tend to recognize the root of the words then the hell with any cases or conjugations, I just guess from context!

Today I did basic stuff. Just a few Anki reviews for both Kafka and subs2srs decks, plus 20 new ones (10 for each deck).

Studied 150 cards in 52 minutes today.
Again count: 20 (86.7% correct)
Learn: 59, Review: 88, Relearn: 3, Filtered: 0
No mature cards were studied today.

Last night I watched the movie "Lucy" with Russian audio and English subs. That was a terrible movie. I had created a subs2srs deck from it, but opted for deletion after watching it. Instead I created a new one, from the movie "Beaver". I'm not at all interested in watching it but the Russian subs match the audio 100%, which is something that cannot be wasted. Probably I'll only start working on it after I finish The Equalizer's.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5861 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 

Message 27 of 28
31 December 2014 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Today I put all the text on the back of my subs2srs cards (note type "emk" in homage to its author). It wasn't so bad after all. In fact, it was pretty good! My success rate for today's due cards was a little over 94%, and after introducing 10 or so new ones, it dropped to 90.3%. Still a very high percentage. I don't know what I was so afraid of. The only catch is, the sessions take longer now, because I have to hit "R" several times to listen to the audio over and over again. But I'm actually excited about this change, and I did manage to pass a couple of new cards today at first sight!

I also reviewed about 30+ due cards for my Kafka deck and introduced 10 new ones. I'm probably gonna have to add new content soon, as I have only 44% of unseen cards left in that deck.

Study today was very satisfying!

Studied 153 cards in 85 minutes today.
Again count: 16 (89.5% correct)
Learn: 61, Review: 89, Relearn: 3, Filtered: 0
No mature cards were studied today.

Edited by Tupiniquim on 31 December 2014 at 6:42pm

Tupiniquim
Brazil
Joined 5861 days ago

184 posts - 217 votes 

Message 28 of 28
02 January 2015 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Today & yesterday have been pretty hectic. The good news is that I was able to keep up with my subs2srs reviews. Anki is great because even when things go crazy I can still do a tiny bit of work.

Hopefully tomorrow will be calmer and I'll be able to study and update properly.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version