Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

63 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto, Latin

Message 1 of 6
07 December 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Practices differ regarding intensive and extensive reading. I read quite a lot and
tend to look up words as I wish depending on what I want to get out of what I'm
reading, so, as I say, I don't make a difference between extensive and intensive
reading and if anything have given attention to the more extensive side of reading.

Now I'm interested in trying out intensive reading activities and strategies and am on
the look out for how to make reading intensive, how to choose material and so on.

Ideas I have had so far include looking up words in a monolingual dictionary,
identifying grammatical constructions that surprise me or I haven't yet mastered and
rereading after the intensive work.

Anyone else use intensive reading to good effect with tips or ideas as to how to make
this more effective?
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 6
07 December 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I've been reading for a couple of years with ebooks, using a pop-up dictionary to look up the meaning of any words I don't know as I read. This is probably the simplest way to intensively read, and I found it quite effective for learning vocabulary.

More recently I have been using Readlang and Firelang to look-up any words in books and on the web that I don't know, which has the advantage I can easily generate Anki cards of unknown words for further study.

I recently made a post in my log about what I'm doing here: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=36720&PN=1&TPN=28#520542.

Edited by patrickwilken on 07 December 2014 at 8:32pm

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4240 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 3 of 6
08 December 2014 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
Last month I was in Hong Kong for a 2 weeks visit. Got caught up with the local news about the "Umbrella
Movement" for democracy. The apartment I was staying has an area downstairs there they would keep several
newspapers for the residents. I would start with the English edition of the "S. China Morning Post" and then the
Chinese editions including Apple Daily, Ming Pao & Singdao. I can recognize up to 90-95% of the Chinese
characters. The ones I don't know I can scribble it into an iPad and use an online dictionary.

After returning to Canada I'm still keeping up with news in Hong Kong by reading free articles online. Every time I
come across an unfamiliar character, I would Copy & Paste it into an online dictionary. In the old days people had to
look up a character by radical and count the # strokes. There are words in a newspaper article I would skip since
going to a paper edition of a dictionary was too much of a hassle. Now I can just look them up with a few keystrokes
on a computer.

Reading is a good way to keep up with a language. The newspapers always have a few articles of interest even if you
get turned off by conflicts in Africa or the Middle-East. A month ago I came across an article about Marco Polo and
his travels and made a rough translation from Chinese to English and forwarded it to somebody interested in that
period of history. The only part I had to look up are foreign place names in Chinese and the English equivalent.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
08 December 2014 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
When I do intensive reading I primarily want to learn linguistical facts - which doesn't prevent me from being fuzzy about the topic and style of my source. And one thing more: I write things down if it is humanly possible (in the bus back home from my job it isn't).

In many cases I combine intensive reading with verbatim copying because I feel tempted to read too fast and carelessly if I only read - though strictly speaking it isn't pure intensive reading anymore then. And as I mentioned: in the bus back home from my job it isn't possible to take notes, but I still try to understand every word and every grammatical feature in the text. Definitions are nice, but sometimes they hit reality and get bent.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4705 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 5 of 6
08 December 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
The only time I have practiced intensive reading recently was on the Amelie script. I put every unknown and hazily known word on a spreadsheet, and got a translation from online dictionaries (usually the Collins French dictionary). In the next column I put the IPA pronunciation, and then the original sentence in the next column. I used internet searches to help with any phrases I didn't understand (e.g. word reference forums, etc). After going through the whole text, I read it intensively again, improving the spreadsheet. Then I read the text a third time without needing to look up most words.

You don't need a monolingual dictionary to read intensively, if your goal is to understand a particular text. If your goal is to meander around in the language, then a monadic might be fun. But if you're using a monadic, why not also use a monolingual grammar? Actually, forums with discussion in French about French phrases are the most helpful monolingual resources for me.

I think the re-reading part is important to cement what you learned on the first pass. Without re-reading, you've potentially wasted a lot of time with reduced benefit.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4435 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 6 of 6
08 December 2014 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
I can strongly support Jeffers when it comes to the benefit of re-reading. I worked quite intensively last summer with some short fun stories in Russian, doing word lists and making sure I understood the grammar in each and every case I was unsure. However, when I returned to the texts a couple of weeks ago, I had forgotten more than half of the vocabulary I learnt five months ago.

I've found it useful e.g. to print out a news story and read it intensively making a word list. I then leave it aside and pick up the article again two days later. When there is a word or a sentence I don't understand, I start making a new word list. I repeat this once more after another two or three days. If I then pick up the article for a fourth time, let's say after a week, I normally experience that I don't need to look up words any more, I will remember them.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version