United States
zamishka.blogspot.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4040 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ukrainian*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Polish

Message 1 of 11
09 December 2014 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
I've got an older coworker who wants to learn Italian and asked me for advice. I'm supervising
her working with Assimil for now, and she's making progress in terms of comprehension, but
pronounciation is a disaster. A major problem I've noticed is that she is applying English
phonetics to what she's reading even if she's just heard the Assimil recording a moment prior,
ie "chimica becomes "tchimika" or vincere becomes "vinthceri".

Any tips on how this can be fixed? I've never had this problem myself, so I'm not sure what's
the best way to address it. I questioned her about what she was doing at home and discovered
that she was doing a lot of Assimil reading without the audio running, so for the meantime
I've asked her to stop that and strictly do L/R while I look for a better solution. I'm
thinking of trying to set her up with Pimsleur, so that she can learn correct pronounciation
without English phonetics distracting her. Thoughts?
1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5029 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 2 of 11
09 December 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Phonology is usually the first part of a language I learn. Sounds like your friend has skipped that part. Steer her to the Italian phonology Wikipedia page, or, if that's too IPA heavy, to some other web page that gives the basic rules of Italian pronunciation (I've no doubt there are many of these: here's the first hit: http://www.conversationexchange.com/resources/pronunciation/ it/). Something that at least gives her the basics, e.g. ch pronounced as the c in cat, e as a monopthong.

If you're tutoring, just continue to correct her as she speaks. She'll get it eventually.

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4016 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 3 of 11
09 December 2014 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
If she isn't familiar with the IPA (which seems like it), there is an introduction to
Italian's sounds at the beginning of the Assimil course. I doubt they are 100% accurate but
she might slowly learn some IPA on the side. Afterall, Italian isn't too difficult when it
comes to pronunciation: there are only 7 vowels in Standard Italian (all of which are in
English as well) and only a couple of troublesome consonants.

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4439 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 4 of 11
09 December 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Given her preference for reading Assimil lessons and that she doesn't hear the
discrepancy between the audio and her own pronunciation your co-worker is evidently not
at all an auditory learner. I thus think recommending Pimsleur would be a great mistake.

She needs to see a clear explanation of how Italian orthography works and she needs to
memorise it. Try to use a resource that just focuses on orthography/phonology, not
phonetic details like putting your tongue on your teeth to pronounce "t".

Edited by AlexTG on 09 December 2014 at 6:51pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5333 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 11
09 December 2014 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm assuming that since you're in the US and using Assimil, your coworker probably speaks English.

Italian is a bit of special case for Engish speakers: We already have most of the sounds, and we pronounce Italian loan words better than almost any other language. The biggest challenges are:

- Learning how not to "glide" the vowels.
- Learning the "gli" sound.

So you'll need to actually focus on those a bit. But for the rest of the sounds, you might try checking a list of Italian load words in English and see whether she pronounces them correctly.

For example:

"chimica becomes "tchimika". See how she pronounces "charlatan". Lots of English speakers actually have the "sh" sound here instead of the "tch".

vincere becomes "vinthceri". If she knows any music, try "piano-forte". And so on.

This might not be fool-proof, but it might help. :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4810 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 11
09 December 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Emphasize the importance of listening a lot to the audio. Lots and lots and even more!
I actually believe the time one should listen to the language should be several times
longer than the time spent on speaking practice, at least at some stages (such as the
beginnings).

IPA may further confuse her, in my opinion. You don't need her to know a universal
phonetic alphabet, she is learning Italian. So, get Italian specific resources on
phonetics. FSI German: the pronunciation chapter worked miraculously for me and the
Swedish one as well (even though I've forgotten the bits of my Swedish knowledge
completely since), I think FSI Italian may help her in that aspect.

There are pronunciation guides for languages that explain the differences, rules and
common troubles in detail and give you lots of examples and practice opportunities. I
know of some for French and Spanish, unfortunately cannot help with Italian.

I totally agree with Alex that Pimsleur is hardly a solution here. She is not a clean
slate and very likely not an audio learner. And telling her to stop doing Assimil,
which works for her in other ways and obviously is fun enough to keep her going, that
might be demotivating in my opinion. Very demotivating.

And last idea: music! I am catching some Italian pronunciation habits due to the music
I listen to even without studying the language. Music cannot help with everything but
it can surely help her learn the pronunciation. Music is easy to follow with lyrics,
each song takes only a few minutes and good songs are very painless to listen to over
and over again and repeat after or even sing along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzNxA81qmE&list=PL145163389 278ED3B

that is a link to a youtube mix I like. It worked for me as a good introduction to
today's Italian pop music. And there are always the old hits like Te amo, Sara perche
ti amo (hopefully I write it right) and so on :-)

Edited by Cavesa on 09 December 2014 at 11:04pm

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5567 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 11
09 December 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
Given her preference for reading Assimil lessons and that she doesn't hear the
discrepancy between the audio and her own pronunciation your co-worker is evidently not
at all an auditory learner. I thus think recommending Pimsleur would be a great mistake.

Neither am I, but Pimsleur does one great trick; that is that, at least in some courses, the introduce words syllable by syllable starting from the last one. That trains the learner to listen to the sound and imitate it without skipping to the part where they recognize a word and with it activate a phonology they already know.

I don't know. I would learn the basic phonology and orthography and then focus on listening, parroting recordings, transcribing recordings, memorizing dialogues, learning lyrics by heart ...

Lemberg1963
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
zamishka.blogspot.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4040 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ukrainian*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Polish

Message 8 of 11
09 December 2014 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Very demotivating.

Whoops, I meant stop reading without any audio. So she's still doing Assimil, she does seem
to
enjoy it a lot, she's just not allowed to do it without the accompanying audio.

The interesting thing is that when we intensively reviewed the phonetics portion at the
beginning of Assimil, she did get it by the end of our session, but then completely
regressed
to old habits the next time we reviewed. That is to say, focusing on phonetics through
parroting
followed by correction didn't seem to work, at least not efficiently. Maybe we just need
more repetition/sessions.

Edited by Lemberg1963 on 09 December 2014 at 11:58pm

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version