Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5947 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 2
10 December 2014 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Here’s are some useful tips for improving and keeping motivated about language learning.

-     Focus on getting better and not at being good. It can be disheartening when you don’t reach the level you expected, or the task to learn a language seems so long. Instead think how much you have improved since the start, and just focus on improving your current ability.
-     Prevention focus. Imagine what difficulties or distractions might occur, and how you’ll get around them. This is better than positive thinking as your acknowledging everything mightn’t go smoothly.
-     If-Then Plans. Supposedly are brains are designed to respond to If-Then triggers. E.g. When I sit down for breakfast, I’ll open a language book. Done regularly this will become a habit that’s hard to break.
-     Start now not later. If you’re thinking of learning another language, start doing it now rather than later. Instead of trying to doing large amounts in a brand new language, start off with small amounts but on a regular basis. You can leave the large volume study for your stronger languages.

Most of these tips I’ve gathered from various works by Heidi Grant Halvorson. A sample of some of these points, and others can be seen here.

Nine Things Successful People Do Differently

Edited by DaraghM on 10 December 2014 at 5:19pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

Lemberg1963
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
zamishka.blogspot.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4035 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ukrainian*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Polish

Message 2 of 2
12 December 2014 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
The learning mindset (#5 on the list) is what I've found to be the most effective for me.
Carol Dweck has a lot of good research on this. It shifts the focus from "I will be fluent in
1 year" to the immediate "I will be more fluent after I learn 5 words right now". This is
important because research shows that the value-action gap shrinks when the rewards are more
immediate aka we're more motivated to act when we perceive that we'll get the reward quickly.
7 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version