25 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 25
10 February 2015 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
flootzavut wrote:
Esperanto is not by any means my L2

L2 doesn't refer to your first foreign language but to any second language. It was still an L2 because you don't speak it natively ;) When people use other numbers than 1 and 2, it's mostly to refer to learning L3 through L2 (which are often not actually your first and second foreign languages), or L3-L4 listening-reading, because it's quite an advanced technique and because English is the most common L2 on HTLAL, with very different dynamics.
1 person has voted this message useful

flootzavut
United Kingdom
Joined 3843 days ago

3 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 25
10 February 2015 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Okay, thanks!

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 25
13 February 2015 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
Two people so far have commented about the relative lack of material in Esperanto, especially books. I need to firmly disagree: Esperanto has tens of thousands of original books, and even more translations. There is also a ton of music - I'm constantly hearing about groups that I've never heard of, contemporary and historical.

Iversen's right that truly interesting science literature seems to be hard to find in Esperanto, but there is some excellent non-fiction. Earlier this year, I read "Homoj de Putin", a book by a Finnish journalist who interviewed Russians of a variety of backgrounds and reported on what they had to say about contemporary Russian politics - it stretches into early 2014. It's the most insightful book on Russia I've ever read, in any language.

There isn't much dubbed into Esperanto, although a handful of things have been, from "Mazi en Gondolando" through "Atako de la lunaj zombioj". This is a weak point, admittedly. There's a lot of audio that's not about Esperanto, but it's not centralized and is unnecessarily hard to find. Music availability is good in some genres, and mainly lacking in others - there's very little metal, for instance.

Esperanto has more of most materials than I'd expect from a language with a couple million of speakers and no national/regional center or support. The literature, in particular, keeps well as time passes, and has been growing for well over a century.
4 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 4840 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 25
13 February 2015 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Volte, any chance of sharing your wizardry in finding Esperanto materials? You could make a thread or revive one
like this
one
2 persons have voted this message useful

flootzavut
United Kingdom
Joined 3843 days ago

3 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 13 of 25
13 February 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
Seconding the request for help with Esperanto materials.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 14 of 25
13 February 2015 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
Thirding request.

And I'm very happy to see Volte here today. I'd just glanced at her profile the other day wondering when she last visited and it was several months ago. Hopefully she's back again for a while.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4364 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 15 of 25
14 February 2015 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
What is it that people are struggling to find? I agree with Volte that there is no
shortage of Esperanto books. In fact we have problems in the Esperanto Association of
Britain because we have too many books, both in our bookshop and in our library :)

Is the problem finding affordable books? Or finding free books online? Esperanto books
are often quite expensive because they necessarily have smaller print runs than other
languages. But a lot of things can be bought second hand quite cheaply and there is an
increasing amount of material online too.

I don't tend to read scientific books in any language so I would struggle to know what
to recommend, apart from
Relativeco per bildoj,
but there is an Internacia Scienca Asocio Esperantista and they publish
Scienca Revuo. I don't know what
the quality of it is like, but the archives are online back to 1949 and as far as I
understand, you can download them for free :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 25
14 February 2015 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I was disappointed when I realized that nobody had taken Tolkien's words about the lack of Esperanto myths and legends as guide to action. I think I didn't find any original fantasy either, and the translations of Tolkien were too expensive.

(also nothing football-related :D and above all, no specialized place to discuss these things)

Edited by Serpent on 14 February 2015 at 5:31pm

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version