2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 89 of 387
16 December 2014 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
The log isn't just for you, it is for your team-mates. I've only done
one TAC, but it seems to me the point of being part of a team is sharing what you do,
and reading other team member's blogs. If you think your own language studies are too
boring to write about, will you still be willing to read other team members' boring
blogs?

If you just want to follow a team, with occasional participation, just subscribe to
their team log. But if you want to join in a team, then you should start a blog, and
you must read the blogs of your team-mates.

Frankly, I've been really bad at both writing and reading logs. I've been reading team
logs on occasions where I've noticed them popping up on the recent threads page.

However, I am learning Spanish right now, and it actually does involve som real
studying, instead of just reading Kindle books, watching native Youtube videos and
going to classes... Well, I'll consider it.

There's nothing "bad" about not reading and writing logs. But it is an important part of being a TAC team member.

As for writing, some people only update monthly, others weekly, so it's not a huge burden. Obviously, some people end up never updating. As for reading, I found that the more I read team-mates' logs, the more I wanted to read them. And I've discovered that most of the interesting discussion on HTLAL has shifted to the logs (just look at the post numbers). Whereas the General forum seems to be a place for going in circles, logs are where you can gain real insight into what methods and materials are effective.

Edited by Jeffers on 16 December 2014 at 8:26am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 90 of 387
16 December 2014 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Are we going to have godparents this year? I'm not sure the concept has really worked out, has it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 91 of 387
16 December 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Are we going to have godparents this year? I'm not sure the concept has really worked out, has it?

Interesting point. I was godfather to a team that dissolved into thin air. Expugnator even tried to motivate people, but to no avail. That was frustrating.

However, in a well-oiled setting, it can be a driving force. In 2013, team Schnitzel had a very helpful godfather. Can't recall his name. "Something" Desprez.

Jokes aside, I'd like to help someone, in a team or outside of it.

Edit: I just saw Ogrim's post, a few minutes after this one. Seems a good choice. I'd say we go with it.

Edited by Luso on 16 December 2014 at 2:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4399 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 92 of 387
16 December 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

Yesterday I posted in the team thread of Asgard asking the same question, as I was the Norwegian Godfather for that team, but I confess I wasn't very active, and I did not get a lot of questions either. However, it was a nice experience being a Godfather. It is interesting to follow the logs of those who learn your native language, and I am pleased whenever I can give linguistic advice or inform members about elements of Norwegian culture. I suggest that each team decides whether they feel the need or find it useful to have godparents/guardian angels, but it should also be made clear that those taking the role upon them have to be responsive and follow the members' logs on a regular basis.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3994 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 93 of 387
16 December 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Well I was an awful guardian angel, although I follow some logs (not thoroughly though, and mostly silent). It
doesn't mean that the concept is bad.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 94 of 387
16 December 2014 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
Edit: Serpent, I just noticed you'll be studying Karelian. I'd love to have you in Team Rare, but wouldn't you be better off with the other Finno-Ugric languages? Unless you reeeally want to join us... ;)

I want to be in team rare, yes :) i'm also considering giving Yiddish another try, and then there's toki pona. And Belarusian, though it's also covered by jää/lód. My languages aren't as rare as some other people's, but given how many of my languages are at least somewhat uncommon (including European Portuguese, haha ;D), I'm looking forward to getting some ideas for them.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5316 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 95 of 387
17 December 2014 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
I hope it's not too early to put some goals and resources down already, as I've posted my new language learning log for the 2015 TAC. Here's the link for your sticky list: Three Little Birds (HA, IR, RU), TAC 2015.

IBEP
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3391 days ago

19 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Kannada*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 96 of 387
17 December 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged 
So I signed up for this for the languages French and Mandarin, as well as a bit of Spanish and Kannada. Is anyone
else interested in forming an Indian languages team?

As for the teams I've put myself down for: East Asian Languages; French; Spanish.

EDIT: My log

EDIT2: Lol so since I'm a new poster it won't let me post links. Copy and paste I guess: http://how-to-learn-any-
language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39738&PN=1

Edited by IBEP on 17 December 2014 at 3:59am

This discussion contains 387 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version