387 messages over 49 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 48 49 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 121 of 387
17 December 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Well, in general a lack of immediate interest is a bad sign. It means that most potential members are too casual.

Why don't you want to be on the East Asian team though? I think it says a lot that there was an amazing one in 2013, then it was decided to split the languages, but now there seems to be universal agreement in favour of it again.

A tandem would be a common log with one other person where you encourage or challenge each other, maybe set common goals etc. Feel free to ask other members whether they are interested. Kujichagulia could even be a good fit?

As for the advanced group, see the bottom of the signup page. It's a team/study group for people aiming for an "advanced" level in various languages. This is a new concept of this TAC.

this was the first tandem btw.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 122 of 387
17 December 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm with Serpent in this. At the moment, we have 14 sign-ups for the East Asian team and one sign-up for a potential Japanese team. Looks pretty bad for single language teams if you ask me...

Would you like to join the East Asian team or rather go for an individual TAC, Takato?
1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4835 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 123 of 387
17 December 2014 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I can watch a Japanese or Chinese movie (with subtitles) fine, but when it comes to a Korean one... There's something I don't like about Korean. Idk... It's probably just me.

A tandem seems interesting however.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 124 of 387
17 December 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
You don't have to study Korean or Chinese to become a member of the East Asian team. The team is for students of Japanese, Korean, or Chinese. If you study more than one of those languages, that's fine, but it's not a prerequirement. I'm only studying Japanese and I'm a member of the team as well.

Of course, if an individual TAC or a tandem is what you want, just go for it!
2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4452 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 125 of 387
18 December 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
You don't have to study Korean or Chinese to become a member of the
East Asian team. The team is for students of Japanese, Korean, or Chinese. If
you study more than one of those languages, that's fine, but it's not a prerequirement.
I'm only studying Japanese and I'm a member of the team as well.

Exactly.

Another advantage is that the starting group will be larger. I've been through TAC
twice now and what always happens is an initial rush of excitement and energy but by
mid February the number of people regularly updating logs has dropped off
significantly. A larger starting group presumably means more people keeping logs
updated throughout the year. Even though over 60% of them (I guess) will be studying
languages I have no knowledge about, the sorts of things they do and how they do them
may well be applicable to my own studying. On top of that I find it quite motivational
to see that other people are still studying, so that keeps me going too.

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4935 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 126 of 387
18 December 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
I just signed up for the German and Scandinavian teams. Gonna continue my existing logs.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4041 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 127 of 387
18 December 2014 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
I was originally trying to keep the number of teams I singed up for at a reasonable level but since I'm pretty much going to be following most of the members anyway I decided it wouldn't hurt too much to sign up for *jäŋe/*ledús again with Hungarian and Czech.

Also, I'll be re-using my log from this year, though I'll probably edit the name once 2015 comes along.
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 128 of 387
18 December 2014 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
I've just signed up for the German team. Is there an name yet?

I couldn't see where to put a link to my log on the wiki. Is it OK just to list it here? http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=36720

I am mostly interested in joining the TAC to allow me to more closely follow other people's logs. Last year the German team has an extra task each month that I systematically failed to do, but I'll try to do better this year, though I can't promise I'll manage this.

It's great to see a few more senior German speakers wanting a team.

This discussion contains 387 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version