Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 137 of 387
19 December 2014 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
I've also offered a name "Gegenwart" for German team :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 138 of 387
19 December 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
The team log for the Russian "Team Pushkin" is now online! You can find it here.

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4340 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 139 of 387
19 December 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Would people in the "Advanced English" group be interested in combining it with the "Advanced Study" group? That might work out nicely if there don't end up being enough people for advanced English, especially since it will add some more linguistic diversity to the team (with some team members studying other team members' native languages, etc.).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 140 of 387
19 December 2014 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
English is a special case, most of us have a pretty high level already. It's a language we're intimately familiar with, a language in which we can function. The biggest challenge is remaining curious and attentive to the peculiarities we are yet to explore. We already have most of HTLAL (and of the whole Internet) as a space for practice. I was personally just hoping to regain the stronger liking for it that I had when it was my only foreign language. It would be like a reminder not to take English for granted.

For now I signed up for both teams, but my English is miles better than any of the "advanced" languages I listed. I believe the same applies to Expugnator too, though maybe he has a higher level in French/German. And I'll certainly be glad if Via Diva joins the advanced team. (I hope you're not worried about not being advanced enough for that? Your level is fine!)

I agree that right now the ESL team doesn't look very viable. I've previously suggested that we include early modern English too, and maybe discuss Old or Middle English every now and then (but without posting long texts). We could also expand the team to include native English speakers, both those with an interest in linguistics/philology and those who are new to language learning and want to start with understanding English, or to become better candidates for language exchange etc. As of now, imo team ESL needs 5 members not counting me and Expugnator, and maybe not Via Diva either.

Edited by Serpent on 19 December 2014 at 8:05pm

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6333 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 141 of 387
19 December 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
So, who would be willing to lead team East Asian Languages? Maybe someone who is studying Japanese? I took a look at the sign-up page and it's the most popular language in our team.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 142 of 387
19 December 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't mind a merger of English ESL and Advanced. My focus for the Advanced languages is mostly writing in TL, and that's what sctroyenne had in mind too, I believe. I seldom have my writing corrected, and I know I make a lot of mistakes that go beyond typos caused by being in a rush.

Still on Advanced, I joined the French and German teams before Advanced became viable, and I'm still considering whether I should stay in FR and DE or not. If the teams don't get too large, I will surely be there if only to contribute to the quorum. My main focus rests sharing experience with people who are at an advanced level, though.

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4340 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 143 of 387
19 December 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
 English is a special case, most of us have a pretty high level already. It's a language we're intimately familiar with, a language in which we can function. The biggest challenge is remaining curious and attentive to the peculiarities we are yet to explore. We already have most of HTLAL (and of the whole Internet) as a space for practice. I was personally just hoping to regain the stronger liking for it that I had when it was my only foreign language. It would be like a reminder not to take English for granted.

For now I signed up for both teams, but my English is miles better than any of the "advanced" languages I listed.

I see what you mean, but the reason I suggested adding the English learners to the advanced group is because what you described is exactly what I had saw the advanced group as being -- a place for people who already speak the language at a high level (ex. higher than C2) and just want to perfect it and learn more about it. It might end up being a little less advanced, though, so I can understand not merging them. (I guess I can always do an individual TAC for Spanish or something.)

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5172 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 144 of 387
19 December 2014 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
That thought had come to me too when I was looking at the groups. It looks like the
Advanced Group has a good mix allowing for cross-language collaborations but a back up
would always be translating whatever you write in one language (that only one other
member may understand well enough) to English in order to share with everybody. So it
would seem that your English could get a good work out. Plus it would help keep us French
learners in our place and not dominate all the discussions. But I'd say it's up to the
ESL people whether or not they feel they should be distinct.

And speaking of English, I wonder if there are ESL lurkers out there who don't feel that
their English is good enough to participate in these forums who might feel more
comfortable posting in a place built especially for them. I guess if there are and you're
reading this, there could definitely be a non-advanced ESL group.

This discussion contains 387 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version