TAC 2015 Official Thread

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
387 messages over 49 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 48 49 Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 9 of 387
13 December 2014 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
YnEoS, the more I look at your languages, the more I want to try out a tandem :D Would you be interested?

Sure! I think so, how would that work exactly?

Edited by YnEoS on 13 December 2014 at 3:19pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 387
13 December 2014 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Gotta look at the past tandems to see how it works, tbh :) I know Sprachprofi and Arekkusu had one at least.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6312 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 11 of 387
13 December 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Mohave wrote:
Is there interest in having an intermediate and advance themes/team/study multi-lingual groups i.e., separate
thread/team/group focused on intermediate issues and advanced issues, regardless of languages? I'm not
sure how to proceed on this, whether under TAC or another means, if there is interest. While the TAC sign-
up indicates sign-up by level, I'm not a fan of breaking a language team into two or more groups after my
experience with my French TAC team last year, which fell apart by March.

For discussion purposes, I would like to see an intermediate level and advanced level study groups formed,
regardless of language, to focus on common issues at that level. Should this be in or outside of TAC? What
is everyone's thoughts?

I think we don't need special teams for intermediate or advanced learners. Most of them already know each other and those who don't can get this information by looking at the list of participants and their languages and their logs. If the idea is to discuss the challenges of being at a specific level regarding a specific language, we already have the Advice Center subforum for that. If the idea is to discuss the native materials one might use at this level, that can be done in the language-specific team thread, for example.

Basically I think it's a bad idea to have more than one type of criteria for creating TAC teams. The basic concept has always been creating the teams based on target languages and it has worked very well. If you introduce another dimension then it will create a lot of confusion. For example, I will be studying Korean at the intermediate level. Should I join the Korean team or the intermediate team? Or both? I don't know. Besides, we already did this experiment this year - adding a team based on whether this was someone's first foreign language or not. I don't think it was a success, I think the teams work best when they're based on a single language or language family.

I also fear that intermediate and advanced teams may seem elitist (even if they are not) and that may hold back potential TAC newbies.

This is just my opinion.

Edited by Evita on 13 December 2014 at 6:20pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4411 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 12 of 387
13 December 2014 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Puttered around a bit before finding the cleverly hidden edit button in the Wikia.

Log

Last I heard, Luso was interested in doing Arabic, but also in captaining Team Rare, I wonder how that would work?

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 13 of 387
13 December 2014 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Gotta look at the past tandems to see how it works, tbh :) I know Sprachprofi and Arekkusu had one at least.

Looks fun! Would it be specifically based around the Romance, Germanic, and Slavic languages we're both studying, or just generally based around passive media consumption in languages that happen to overlap a lot of the time?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 387
13 December 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Last I heard, Luso was interested in doing Arabic, but also in captaining Team Rare, I wonder how that would work?

Perfectly :)

@Evita, it's all up to the people in question. If you don't want to join an intermediate team, then don't. If nobody wants it then there will be none.

I personally agree that a French C1 and an Italian C1 have more in common than a C1 and an A1, but I think it only makes sense per language family. Advanced Romance could be interesting, but advanced Spanish+Japanese+Russian seems like a pointless team.

As for team start, I admit that I was hoping more long-term members would join, but everyone opted for language-specific teams. This team just needed more people like kujichagulia and Via Diva, imo. Both have made significant progress this year :)

Edited by Serpent on 13 December 2014 at 4:15pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 387
13 December 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS wrote:
Serpent wrote:

Looks fun! Would it be specifically based around the Romance, Germanic, and Slavic languages we're both studying, or just generally based around passive media consumption in languages that happen to overlap a lot of the time?

I don't think there are any limits/rules. Whatever works for us :) I'm interested in both aspects at least.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4014 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 16 of 387
13 December 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
YnEoS wrote:
Serpent wrote:

I don't think there are any limits/rules. Whatever works for us :) I'm interested in both aspects at least.

Alright cool. I just wasn't sure if it was more like a few individual logs grouped together because they have a lot in common, or like a weird team that has a lot less members. Anyways, let's give it a try.

This discussion contains 387 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version