Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3828 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 241 of 387
25 December 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
I removed myself from the Dutch team (just two people in it) and from the Balto-Slavonic team (I decided to
drop/postpone my project with lithuanian).
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 242 of 387
26 December 2014 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Not sure exactly what you mean but here's my current log if it helps as i hadnt provided it earlier due to the reasons previously stated. Hope it elps. I signed up to join the French team. Just as a side note despite my reservations expressed - I might do things differently but you're right, you're going to the trouble of organising it all- so I do appreciate your effort in organising TAC 2015, than you Josquin

Okay, first of all, thank you for the link to your log! As it apparently isn't clear what I need the links for, I'll explain it to you. If you go to the first page of this thread, you'll see my first post with the rules of the TAC, followed by two other posts of mine. In the first one of these, I have a roster of all active TAC teams with their respective members. In the second one, there's an alphabetical list with all TAC participants and links to their logs. This serves as an overview of the entire TAC, just as last year's umbrella thread that Iversen collected.

Maybe I'm investing too much work in organizing this. This may be due to my German perfectionism and exaggerated orderliness, but nevertheless I think it's a good thing if the TAC is well organized and less chaotic than it is anyway. Of course, it would have been possible to just have the roster on the Wikia and create an umbrella thread afterwards, but it wouldn't be less work.

Now, I can add a few members and links now and then, but if I created a separate umbrella thread in January I would have to add all members and all links in one session. However, the important thing is that I have the links to the new logs for the alphabetic list. This way, there's no need for a separate umbrella thread.

The main goal of this roster is having an overview of all TAC teams and their members with links to the logs. If you're looking for a team or a certain log, you don't have to look for it in the chaos of the log subforum. You just go to this thread, which is always on top of the page, click the first page and you have all the teams, participants, and their logs in one glance. I think this is worth the work I'm investing.

That's why I react a little bit sensitively when people come and say the work I'm doing is useless and we could do everything totally differently. I have been investing a lot of work in the organization of the TAC over the last few weeks, so it would be nice if it was appreciated - and not criticized as being pointless when it clearly isn't.

Edited by Josquin on 26 December 2014 at 3:37pm

18 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 243 of 387
26 December 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, I definitely didn't mean that your work is pointless! Thanks for hosting the challenge :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

agta
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 5305 days ago

43 posts - 53 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: German, Italian

Message 244 of 387
26 December 2014 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Here's my log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
TID=39793&PN=1&TPN=1

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5422 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 245 of 387
26 December 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Here's the link to page 10 of my log where I will begin with TAC 2015:
link

Tiy
United Kingdom
Joined 3461 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German

Message 246 of 387
26 December 2014 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

Hopefully it is not too late to apply but I have signed up to do the TAC in French and
German, and would like to join a French team. I'm assuming we start on 1st January? I
would also like to know if there is anyway I could mentally/physically prepare for the
TAC.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 247 of 387
26 December 2014 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
Tiy wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hopefully it is not too late to apply but I have signed up to do the TAC in French and German, and would like to join a French team. I'm assuming we start on 1st January? I would also like to know if there is anyway I could mentally/physically prepare for the TAC.

TAC is not a task. It is just a place where you come to share with your teammates (a.k.a. future friends) the progress you're making in your languages. You may also seek and offer advice and support.

Therefore, you start when you feel ready to do so. Just don't forget to set up a log and share it with us.

Welcome to the forum, Tiy. Have fun.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 248 of 387
27 December 2014 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Not sure exactly what you mean but here's my current log if
it helps as i hadnt provided it earlier due to the reasons previously stated. Hope it elps. I signed up to join the
French team. Just as a side note despite my reservations expressed - I might do things differently but you're
right, you're going to the trouble of organising it all- so I do appreciate your effort in organising TAC 2015,
than you Josquin

Okay, first of all, thank you for the link to your log! As it apparently isn't clear what I need the links for, I'll
explain it to you. If you go to the first page of this thread, you'll see my first post with the rules of the TAC,
followed by two other posts of mine. In the first one of these, I have a roster of all active TAC teams with their
respective members. In the second one, there's an alphabetical list with all TAC participants and links to their
logs. This serves as an overview of the entire TAC, just as last year's umbrella thread that Iversen collected.

Maybe I'm investing too much work in organizing this. This may be due to my German perfectionism and
exaggerated orderliness, but nevertheless I think it's a good thing if the TAC is well organized and less
chaotic than it is anyway. Of course, it would have been possible to just have the roster on the Wikia and
create an umbrella thread afterwards, but it wouldn't be less work.

Now, I can add a few members and links now and then, but if I created a separate umbrella thread in January
I would have to add all members and all links in one session. However, the important thing is that I have the
links to the new logs for the alphabetic list. This way, there's no need for a separate umbrella thread.

The main goal of this roster is having an overview of all TAC teams and their members with links to the logs.
If you're looking for a team or a certain log, you don't have to look for it in the chaos of the log subforum. You
just go to this thread, which is always on top of the page, click the first page and you have all the teams,
participants, and their logs in one glance. I think this is worth the work I'm investing.

That's why I react a little bit sensitively when people come and say the work I'm doing is useless and we
could do everything totally differently. I have been investing a lot of work in the organization of the TAC over
the last few weeks, so it would be nice if it was appreciated - and not criticized as being pointless when it
clearly isn't.

Hey Josquin,

With that explanation I can clearly see your reasoning. I'm a person who, like many of us, gravitates towards
doing things logically - although I definitely don't always follow through logically. I (wrongly) assumed you
were doing one or two too many steps in requiring the links to logs. I appreciate your explanation, as it seems
many others do too, and now understand it absolutely makes sense. Thanks again for your explanations and
for organising all this. Despite my criticism (which honestly came off a bit harshly, my apologies) I actually
sincerely appreciate your work here. Vielen Dank! I hope everyone's had a fantastic Christmas!

PM

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 387 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version