Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 41 of 387
14 December 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
I have moved myself from the Japanese team to the Asian team for now. If there are teams for both I would rather be in the Asian team, otherwise I'll happily move back to the Japanese team.
1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4385 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 42 of 387
14 December 2014 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
I've just thrown my hat into the ring with French, German, Italian and of course,
Scottish Gaelic.

My participation in TAC '14 was nil, the stresses of working life being the main culprit.
I have been studying nonetheless, though my log fails to show this. Looking forward to a
more fruitful year of TAC!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 43 of 387
14 December 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Okay, I've added the category "Asian Languages" to the Wikia!

People who are interested in studying more than one Asian language or who would like to join the team anyway can sign up for it now.

We'll have to see if all students of Asian languages will join the team or if there will be seperate teams for single languages as well. This will depend on the number of sign-ups for each team.

If it means Mandarin / Cantonese / Korean / Japanese, would you please change the name to "East Asian Languages" or some other clearer denomination?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 44 of 387
14 December 2014 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
If it means Mandarin / Cantonese / Korean / Japanese, would you please change the name to "East Asian Languages" or some other clearer denomination?

Your wish is my command! Although I think it's for the team to decide about what languages may participate. From a linguistic point of view, narrowing it down to the languages you mentioned would make sense, of course.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 45 of 387
14 December 2014 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Luso wrote:

Your wish is my command! Although I think it's for the team to decide about what languages may participate. From a linguistic point of view, narrowing it down to the languages you mentioned would make sense, of course.

East Asian is ok. I just don't want learners of Hindi, Arabic, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Indonesian, etc. to think it applies to them and be deceived.

After all, "Asian" is a big Gebiet. ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 46 of 387
14 December 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Sarnek wrote:
You, I want some of what you're smoking.

night shift induced sleep deprivation

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 47 of 387
14 December 2014 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I signed up for Russian and Scandinavian. I'm studying a ton of languages but I've been
doing these for so long that I'm confident of them.

Welcome back to the mother ship, pumpkin! I've missed you :-)

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4035 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 48 of 387
14 December 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
redflag wrote:
Signed up at the wiki for French and Indonesian. French is popular so will take care of itself but hopefully some
other Indonesian learners come along ...

Hekje and Sprachprofi did Indonesian at Team Rare this year. If they are willing to continue, maybe we can have an Indonesian team. I'd be the 4th member and only 1 member would be missing to make it a team
then.

I may end up augmenting my Malay study with some Indonesian resources this year because of how similar they are to each other.   Though it may be better to keep everything in a larger team rare instead of splitting off into several tiny teams.

This discussion contains 387 messages over 49 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version