Sakanage
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3454 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English

Message 1 of 3
14 December 2014 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Well in future i`m planning start study Chinese and i took a look in some ways to start
learn it , since i`m starting learn for personal things , probably `ll use to play game ,
chat with people in internet or navigate in internet these things , and i read some
article saying normally don`t need learn how to pronunce or write depending on the
situation . But to you write in computer you use pinyin then u need know how is the
pronunce . so i was here to ask some tips and where start since i don`t know if i
starting learning ideograms or how write it frist .
1 person has voted this message useful

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3693 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 2 of 3
14 December 2014 at 7:25am | IP Logged 
If you're not planning to learn to write by hand (only type on computer) then you should only learn how to pronounce it, how to write it in pinyin, and how to recognize a character when you see it.

It does not make your task much different from that of other learners. You need to learn all the same things anyone else should, just minus writing by hand.

victorhart
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
mandarinexperiment.o
Joined 3508 days ago

66 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
18 December 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Sakanage, you may be interested in checking out my Mandarin-learning experiment, at
www.mandarinexperiment.com, for some
ideas. Watching Qiao Hu is a good way to get started, and I have developed several
Study Guides that may help just a bit.

There is a description of the project in Brazilian Portuguese and será um prazer
trocar ideias com você em português se você preferir

In addition to watching movies and children's shows, as I do, I would highly recommend
taking Skype classes or finding Chinese people interested in chatting with voice over
the Internet.

As to studying characters or pinyin, I'm no authority on the subject and I'm doing
neither. If you want faster short-term results, I would definitely go with pinyin. If
you want to master the language over the long term, I would study characters (just
reading, not writing) from the outset, along with a lot of videos and conversation
with native speakers.

There are people on this forum with sophisticated methods that may be very helpful to
get you started. I highly recommend emk's detailed description of the use of subs2srs
in this thread.

Edited by victorhart on 18 December 2014 at 2:18am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version