Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4798 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 9 of 31
15 December 2014 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Tampopo is a japanese movie - and one I put on my top 5 to top 10 of all movies, all times, all languages - top 10 only because all the movies I don't know about and the ones I don't think about right now. In fact it could be on my top 2 because there are only 2 movies that are on all my top 5 lists and Tampopo is among those 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampopo

It is a delicacy of movie, delicacy indeed since it is all about food.
I fail to understand why do they label it a japanese western - probably because of the truck driver hat.

Like most if not all movies - this one is available with subtitles but more important it is very subtile, imaginative and fun. It also is a great howto or at least motivational if you need to be an entrepreneur.

If you need a new sex game there is one in this movie - you take an uncooked egg yolk into your mouth and you have to transfer it into your partner mouth and back as long as the egg doesn't lose its initial shape. Some kind of yellow kiss. All about food indeed.
This is only one example of many interesting scenes and interesting for many reasons.
1 person has voted this message useful

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4169 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French, Esperanto

Message 10 of 31
15 December 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I've been binge watching quite a few French series lately, especially Les Simpson. At first I had relegated myself to the DVDs of each season, dubbed in Quebec, which I could hardly understand. Then my tutor gave me links to watch the Parisian French versions, and since then my understanding has increased with each season (I'm on Season 11, although I've skipped a few episodes here and there that I couldn't tolerate even in the original English!) I really enjoy checking my understanding against the French scripts, which are available online. I've watched season 1 of Game of Thrones and season 5 of Dexter in French as well, and I plan on watching the rest of these series when time permits. I also have season 2 of Star Trek on DVD, as well as the films I-IV and Star Trek Into Darkness, all with French audio (albeit dubbed in Quebec).

The first (and only) original French series I've watched was Braquo, which was very good, although I hardly understood any of it, as my French was only at a beginner level. I'd like to re-watch the series soon, just to see how much better my comprehension is. I've also watched several French films, mainly older ones, and by far my favorite is Jeux interdits (Forbidden Games). I also love La Faute à Fidel! and Innocence. I'll have to re-watch these films at some point, since I originally saw them when I was working through Assimil New French With Ease.

As for German and Khmer, I haven't really watched any movies or series, although I have watched a few episodes of some German soap operas and also Stromberg, which is basically the German version of The Office. I plan on watching more German TV as I finish up with Assimil, especially since many soap operas include German subtitles. I can't really do much with Khmer since I've barely started learning it, but I do plan on asking my native-speaker friend if she has any series she can recommend.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4798 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 11 of 31
15 December 2014 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
My favourite TL movies watched for the first time this year:
German:
Lola Rennt ("Lola Runs", Run Lola Run) by Tom Tykwer
... There's lots of repetition in
this movie, great for learners.

Repetitions with slight to big differences are indeed very interesting to learn languages.

El callejón de los milagros - is a Mexican movie - where a big part of the movie body is replayed 2 or 3 times - each from the perspective of another character.

In 1985 American movie - Clue - they end with - something like did you like this endings what about this other one and when the second ending is over then the third and last one starts - 3 endings for one movie.

Edited by Michel1020 on 15 December 2014 at 3:04pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 31
15 December 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Two series that I've been watching at the end of the year:

French: Profilage
Very good, approachable for a learner who wants something originally French,
entertaining, good stories and so on. But if I was the world dictator, the French tv-
series makers would be immediately forbidden to use the cliffhangers at the end of
season because they suck at handling them. Totally. I didn't enjoy the way season 5
was glued to the extremelly thrilling cliffhanger at the end of season 4 (juse as I am
quite curious how will the season 2 of Revenants deal with theirs). One episode of the
season looked like it was part 1 of a longer story but it wasn't. The last few
episodes were thrilling,full of action, emotionally intensive, well told, captivating.
But in the end, there is no catharsis. There is a cliffhanger I nearly don't want to
know the ending of.

French: Héro Corp
An awesome parody of the superhero movies. Great comedy about a village of former
superheroes someone in France. Many jokes, good use of the stereotypes but as well
their own original parts as a parody would be hardly suited to last three seasons. It
is of standard difficulty, in my opinion, but if you get through season one, there is
a prize: Quebec French in season 2! The episodes are only half an hour long, which is
practical and, overall, I love the series.

p.s. I agree about Sherlock. It is surely a challenging show to watch in original but
well worth it. You are unlikely to find a full value voice replacement for Freeman and
Cumberbatch.

Edited by Cavesa on 15 December 2014 at 4:48pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 13 of 31
15 December 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
I've watched a lot of films this year, of varying quality let's say. A few that stood out...

French

Neuf mois ferme: saw this at the French Film Festival in my city. Great fun black comedy.

Avis de mistral: another festival pick. Cheesy but very well-done family comedy.

Italian

La grande bellezza: probably the most famous recent Italian film. I like Sorrentino and Servillo, and it was a strange but interesting film.

Boris (TV series): it's a decent Italian comedy series, and that alone makes it noteworthy since there are so few decent Italian series. I loved the first season, but the second didn't really do it for me.

Romanzo criminale: excellent crime drama involving post-war political events in Italy.

Tutta la vita davanti: recent comedy about a University graduate who struggles to find work and eventually ends up in a call centre. Quite close to home as I know so many people, especially Italians, in that sort of situation. In fact, most Italians I know here either work or have worked in a call centre.

Spanish

Everything I saw in Spanish was great! I like their cinema a lot. A few highlights (all from Spain):

El crimen ferpecto: black comedy.

El día de la bestia: ridiculous B-movie style dark comedy/horror/action. Stupid but a great laugh.

Abre los ojos and Tesis: famous drama/action films by Alejandro Amenábar.

El cuerpo: psychological thriller.

Aquí no hay quien viva (TV series): comedy about the residents of an apartment block. Good fun and lots of colloquial conversation.

And I could go on. Us Romance language learners are spoilt for films.

Edited by garyb on 16 December 2014 at 11:21am

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 14 of 31
15 December 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:

La grande bellezza: probably the most famous recent Italian film. I like Sorrentino and Servillo, and it was a strange but interesting film.

This was the standout film for me this year. I watched it in the cinema in Italian with English subtitles when I was visiting my mother in Australia. Such a great film. I want a 65th birthday like that!

Edited by patrickwilken on 15 December 2014 at 6:52pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4469 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 15 of 31
16 December 2014 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Michel1020 wrote:
Tampopo is a japanese movie - and one I put on my top 5 to top 10 of all movies, all times,
all languages - top 10 only because all the movies I don't know about and the ones I don't think about right now.
In fact it could be on my top 2 because there are only 2 movies that are on all my top 5 lists and Tampopo is
among those 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampopo

It is a delicacy of movie, delicacy indeed since it is all about food.
I fail to understand why do they label it a japanese western - probably because of the truck driver hat.

Like most if not all movies - this one is available with subtitles but more important it is very subtile, imaginative
and fun. It also is a great howto or at least motivational if you need to be an entrepreneur.

If you need a new sex game there is one in this movie - you take an uncooked egg yolk into your mouth and you
have to transfer it into your partner mouth and back as long as the egg doesn't lose its initial shape. Some kind of
yellow kiss. All about food indeed.
This is only one example of many interesting scenes and interesting for many reasons.

Second to this recommendation. Tampopo is the best movie about making ramen that has ever been made! And it's
also a really awesome movie just in general.

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4419 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 16 of 31
20 December 2014 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Japanese
FLCL, directed by Kazuya Tsurumaki, written by Yōji Enokido
What we have here is a surrealistic (and I'm not one to use that word lightly) depiction of a boy's gruelling entrance into adolescence. Its
primary theme is sexually charged angst. Where as in other anime male gaze and female sexual objectification tend to be excessive and
out of place, here they're not only justified but integral to the work's beauty.

Ostensibly a 6 episode TV show, with a total running time of 150 minutes I can't help but think of FLCL as a movie. It is certainly a
single cohesive whole.

For Japanese learners it's not ideal, unless you're at a very advanced level. The characters speak very fast, often over the top of
each other, weird lines come up out of the blue with no contextual clues and there are lots of obscure cultural references. I'm
planning to watch it again but in English so that I can get the full FLCL experience, just really immerse myself in the flow.

Although it mostly keeps to the background the soundtrack by indie rock band The Pillows is excellent.
Check out their songs Tokyo Bambi and Scarecrow (both in Japanese despite the titles)

Edited by AlexTG on 21 December 2014 at 1:07am

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version