Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 25 of 31
03 June 2015 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
A recent experience made me think a bit about musical movies.

Great to use are Disney movies like Frozen. Everything including the songs gets translated and the dubbing tends to be really good. Disney is a source of dubbing (=a stepping stone towards original movies) even when it comes to languages and nations that do not usually dub but they make the exception for children. I can recommend Frozen in French, it is no worse than the original, in my opinion. Ok, I would change one line in the main song translation but that is all. From the bits of other versions I heard(mostly the songs on youtube), I'd say the French version is probably among the best.

A bad example: Into the Woods. A few days ago,I just wanted to relax with a movie in French, wanted something fantasy-like and found this online. I hated it for these reasons:
1:The songs are original (En), the rest dubbed (Fr). I'd say not dubbing the movie at all would be a more logical choice. After all, I wouldn't say this is a movie for small children.
2:I hated the movie. I found it stupid and boring. I finished in hope it was gonna improve and I was mostly dissapointed. Really, so many fairytale based movies and tv series have been made recently and I cannot remember a single one I liked even less.
3:The music is bad. Unlike Disney, where the songs are treated like individual gems that make part of the story and the characters, Into the Woods sounded to me basically like one musical theme spread like fungus all over the movie, the only thing changing were the voices who were singing at the moment.

I wonder, do you have any experience with Disney and "similar" movies in other languages? Could you give recommendations? Is there anything worth actively avoiding?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 31
03 June 2015 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Ice Age seems to have great dubs. Nemo too.
I've also downloaded a whole bunch of Disney cartoons/movies in Danish and enjoyed. Good dubbing, as far as I remember.
The classic stuff like Cinderella or Snow White was really weird to watch as an adult though.

Also, whenever Frozen is brought up, forever linking to this post by a Saami guy. Enjoy but don't overlook the problematic aspects.

Edited by Serpent on 03 June 2015 at 5:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4397 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 27 of 31
03 June 2015 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Jack et la mécanique du coeur
This is a French animated musical. An adaptation of the brilliant concept album by the rock band Dionysos. The songs are really
catchy.

There are three French musicals by Jacques Demy with music by Michel Legrand and starring Catherine Deneuve, and I adore all three
of them in their own way:

Peau D'âne
This is pure fairy tale, very Disneyesque, except a little bit darker like traditional fairy tales.

Les Demoiselles de Rochefort
A fun romantic comedy.

Les Parapluies de Cherbourg
This one is different to what you'd expect from a musical. Rather than having dialogue intermittently giving way to song there's
constant music from start to finish, with all the lyrics being dialogue. There are no refrains to latch on to. There's just a
long stream of dialogue like in a normal film, except that the dialogue is sung. It's also not a fun film, as musicals usually are,
but rather a heart wrenching drama.

Edited by AlexTG on 03 June 2015 at 10:26pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4495 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 28 of 31
04 June 2015 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Luna en Leo
A realistic, but extremely cute, romantic comedy about a Spaniard getting to know an
Argentinean over the course of a night in Buenos Aires. In addition to its inherent
charms, you have the added benefit of hearing both Iberian and Argentinean Spanish, and I
had the impression (though I'm only around A2) that this makes it easier to understand
even if you're not terribly familiar with either.
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4966 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 29 of 31
05 June 2015 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
Jack et la mécanique du coeur
This is a French animated musical. An adaptation of the brilliant concept album by the rock band Dionysos. The songs are really catchy.

Somebody told me about this a while ago but I couldn't remember the name of the film nor of the band. Thanks!

This year I've not watched many films, I've been more focused on series. I'll write a bit about the highlights on here soon.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 30 of 31
04 August 2015 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
A bit of Czech weird cinema for you:
Kytice / Wild Flowers (2000)
trailer
It's most probably completely useless if you want to hear some colloquial, conversational, real Czech. But if you like scary fairy tales from the MIddle Ages, before they became kind and nice you probably like this movie too.
All spoken Czech in the movie is in the form of poetry, taken from a collection of ballads by Karel Jaromír Erben.
According to Wikipedia, while relatively successful commercially, the film was deplored by critics for its crude literalism of depiction. Well... yeah. Watching this is definitely not a walk in a park, you need to be ready to face some pretty dark and weird
stuff. I went through the comments to the movie before watching, and someone said that it's a lot like Tim Burton works. My answer to that is nope, no way. Burton is much more cheerful and optimistic.
Basically, the movie is a compilation of seven unrelated tragic stories - seven different deaths. This is not much of a spoiler, so don't throw tomatoes at me. Just don't watch it: 1) before sleep 2) while depressed 3) while being too sensitive.
But definitely watch that if you've been considering, whether you should learn Czech or not. This is bad for your wanderlust.
Last, but not the least - it was probably hard to find suitable music for that kind of a movie. But the right music was found.
(if you have some feedback, please, contact me or write it here. I love to hear people liking things I have recommended, but here any feedback would do)

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3993 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 31 of 31
06 August 2015 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
More weird Czech cinema for you...
Rok ďábla / The year of the devil (2002)
(bits of my review are arrogantly stolen from one which was left on the Russian answer to IMDb)
Have you ever wondered what does the Czech Republic sound like? Yes, you say? Then watch this.
There's no way to define the genre of the movie, hehe. Drama? Nope. Comedy? Not really. Mystic? No. But it all and maybe something else combines into this movie. It's not completely in Czech, but also in English and with just a bit of Dutch. People and projects
featured there are real. Jaromír Nohavica is a really, really famous singer and songwriter (like Высоцкий in Russia, one can say), Karel Plíhal is a folk/jazz-guitarist, Čechomor is a Czech folk band, Jaz Coleman is a frontman of Killing Joke. Well, when
I explain you all that I only know I a bit about Nohavica, the rest were unknown, but now I am interested in them all. And if you watch the movie I guess you would be interested too.
There's not too much music to get you bored (in case you're not a fan of that sort of thing), the plot is really interesting, and you would have a lot to think about when you're done watching.
Just in case my description is a bit vague I'll quote this:
Quote:
Dutch documentary film director, Jan Holman, goes to the Czech Republic to make a film about curing alcoholism. At an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting he finds a man named Jaromir Nohavica who becomes his friend. Another friend of Nohavica, Karel Plihal,
becomes mute, and Nohavica decides to start a tour with the band Čechomor to help cure him. When Jan Holman follows with his camera in tow, he finds many inexplicable events along the way.

(again, please provide a feedback, if you have some)

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version