United States
Joined 4178 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French, Esperanto

Message 9 of 28
09 January 2015 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
DE

I'm very excited...today I purchased the e-méthode version of Assimil Perfectionnement Assimil, which I believe will, in conjunction with FSI, make a very good follow-up to German With Ease.

I did Lektion 57 today, it took me about 30 minutes, so not too bad. I also worked on Schaum's Outlines, I am almost finished with Chapter 4, which covers pronouns. Next up is adjectives, which I need ALOT of help on. But I was happy to note that, during my Assimil lesson, I was able to correct myself when I used the wrong case during my translation from English to German. The phrase was Am Tag der Beerdigung, or "on the day of the funeral", and at first I wanted to translate it as Am Tag des Beerdigung, but my brain suddenly noticed the feminine -ung ending and I caught myself. I hope that means I'm making some progress!

Edited by jbadg76421 on 09 January 2015 at 1:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4178 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 

Message 10 of 28
16 January 2015 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
I really have to get better about updating this thing! Shame on me!

As I finish up German With Ease, I've started Perfectionnement Allemand. I went with the e-méthode version, and I have to say it's really cool. The same audio and text as found in the book, the same exercises, but with nice additional features. You can record your voice to compare it with the dialogue, and I like the fact that the exercises have two levels - easy or difficult. Also, at first I thought that there wasn't an active wave, but there is...starting with Lektion 38, you go back to Lektion 1 and translate from French into German...but this time, orally, using your microphone! I'll be very interested to see how that goes!

So far, it's been taking me about 30 minutes per lesson of German with Ease, and about an hour with Perfectionnement Allemand, mainly because I find the translation exercises pretty difficult, and I really don't like marking the lesson as "complete" unless I get at least a 9/10 on the exercises. I'm also making an Anki deck of all the new words found in each lesson (after you finish the dialogue, all new words are presented in a list before you move onto the exercises). I'm also working through Schaum's Outlines of German Grammar and Vocabulary, but I haven't had as much time for those two books.

More to come!
2 persons have voted this message useful

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4178 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 

Message 11 of 28
21 January 2015 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Perfectionnement Alemand

I'm on Lektion 8, and I really like this course. The dialogues are much more interesting than German With Ease, the notes are more useful and practical, and I really enjoy recording myself and comparing myself to the original audio...It helps me see how much I suck and how much work I need to do! :-)

The tough part, as usual, are the exercises. It's not so much that I don't understand what I'm supposed to translate, it's really just that 1.) Translating from German into French is not easy, since my French is really hovering at a B2 level and 2.) A lot of new vocab is introduced all at once, and sometimes I can't remember the correct German word during the translation exercises. Still, I'm averaging about an hour per lesson, which isn't too bad, since the dialogues are about twice as long as German With Ease. And someday I'm going to be brave enough to review the exercises from previous lessons, and switch the difficulty from "Easy" to "Hard"...

FSI

Yep, the old work horse. Honestly, as boring and dry as FSI is, I really think it's useful for drilling grammar points that I'm somewhat shaky on, or that weren't really explained much in Assimil. But truth be told...I don't think I could make it through an FSI course unless I really, really loved the language! Langweilig!

Schaum's Outlines German Grammar

I like this book, because it's done the one thing Assimil couldn't: calm my fears of German grammar. Right now I'm on Chapter 5, which covers adjectives, the one topic I was truly sure I would never grasp. And it turns out that it isn't so bad! I'm trying not to rush through the book, and I'm sure I'll come back to it many times in the future.

I'm also watching a lot of German TV, listening to the radio, and trying my hand at light reading (newspaper articles, forums, tweets, etc.) Slowly, things are falling into place. I read an article from Die Zeit today, and probably understood 40 - 50 percent. Sometimes I can even get about 70 percent, so I'm pleased with the progress I've made, but I'm also anxious to be able to read all of those interesting German books I have on my Kindle.

That's all for now!

Edited by jbadg76421 on 21 January 2015 at 1:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4323 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 28
21 January 2015 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
jbadg76421 wrote:
   I read an article from Die Zeit today, and probably understood 40 - 50 percent. Sometimes I can even get about 70 percent, so I'm pleased with the progress I've made, but I'm also anxious to be able to read all of those interesting German books I have on my Kindle.

German's I know say Die Zeit is hard, so if you are getting 40%-50% you are doing well! I find the stories in the magazine a lot easier for some reason; perhaps my vocabulary is just not that great for politics/economics.

Are you reading online or with the Kindle? The Kindle version of die Zeit is actually pretty good and you can read it with a pop-up dictionary.

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4178 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 

Message 13 of 28
22 January 2015 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
I appreciate the vote of confidence patrickwilken! And I'm reading it both online and with my Kindle...yes, I do really like the pop-up dictionary on the Kindle, and the fact that it saves the words I look up into a vocabulary list.

Assimil Perfectionnement Allemand

Worked through lesson eight for about an hour today, super interesting dialogue...an interview with a genealogist. At least, I find genealogy interesting, so I enjoyed learning the vocabulary.

FSI

I'm on Unit 2. What can I say? It's FSI...

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4323 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 14 of 28
22 January 2015 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
jbadg76421 wrote:
I appreciate the vote of confidence patrickwilken! And I'm reading it both online and with my Kindle...yes, I do really like the pop-up dictionary on the Kindle, and the fact that it saves the words I look up into a vocabulary list.

If you use the Readlang extension (for Chrome browsers) or Firelang extension (for Firefox) you can save and export words you read online into SRS programs like Anki.

Edited by patrickwilken on 22 January 2015 at 2:12pm

jbadg76421
Groupie
United States
Joined 4178 days ago

51 posts - 92 votes 

Message 15 of 28
25 January 2015 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
@patrickwilken Yeah, I checked out the Firelang extension, thanks for the advice, it's pretty cool! Not sure I want to start making decks just yet, I already downloaded one for FSI German (with audio, thanks to whoever made that deck!) but maybe in the future.

Assimil Perfectionnement Allemand

Yesterday's lesson (11) was awesome! It was an old German folk song, and the narrator actually sang it. She has quite a lovely voice. Unfortunately, that means that I had to sing as well, but hey, at least my recordings will never see the light of day. Today's lesson (12) was a horoscope, kind of silly but at least each day brings something new and unexpected! Plus I'm actually starting to run into some of the vocabulary I've found in both this course and German With Ease in newspapers, TV series and even songs. I really like this pop-punk band called Montreal, I've listened to three of their albums so far and I understood most of the lyrics to two of their songs, which made me really excited.

FSI German

Just started Unit 3, and I really need to work on the Anki deck based on this course. It's not so dull...okay, yeah, it's a little dull, and the audio sucks, but I love German enough to work through it. Plus, I kind of like the retro-feel of the course (and it's very retro...when it was published, Bonn was the capital of the Federal Republic of Germany! (I learned that from Assimil, by the way). I don't know how much stock I put into the FSI method, but man, repeating those drills really loosens your mouth muscles and makes your speech much more fluid.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4323 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 16 of 28
25 January 2015 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
jbadg76421 wrote:
@patrickwilken Yeah, I checked out the Firelang extension, thanks for the advice, it's pretty cool! Not sure I want to start making decks just yet, I already downloaded one for FSI German (with audio, thanks to whoever made that deck!) but maybe in the future.

Of course! I personally made decks are more effective. I wouldn't worry too much about having audio, so long as you are listening to German regularly (TV? movies?) you should be fine.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version