Joined 3461 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 58
16 December 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Are you joining the TAC 2015?

I would love to, but it appears I'm too new to edit the thread. If you can assist, that would
be great. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4832 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 58
16 December 2014 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
edited: ok, you're obviously already on the list, no need for me to edit anything :-)

Edited by Cavesa on 16 December 2014 at 8:23pm

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 58
17 December 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
s.mann wrote:
Maybe running it in a virtual
machine is the right answer, but between a VM, a VPN and an overseas server, that's a lot
of overhead which may cause intolerable lag times. I'll have to check into it.

I've experimented with Hulu a couple of times and the results weren't great. I tried to use it to watch shows restricted to Italy on the RAI site, but they still knew I wasn't in Italy (they must be smart!). I also tried it with Drama Fever to watch Spanish shows that are only available to North America, and it worked but it was far too slow to be useful. Several minutes to load a page, never mind stream a video. Maybe the French servers are better, it's worth a try if you already have a Netflix account...

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3461 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 

Message 12 of 58
17 December 2014 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
I managed to get through all the audio for FSI Basic Unit 1 in the last 3 days. I have to
say so far I love it because you can tell real progress as you're completing the
exercises, and I'm guessing it will be even more clear on a second run-through. I'm
not sure if I'll go through it more than twice before moving on to Unit 2. It's certainly
not that I couldn't get more out of it, especially in the dialogue, but the vocab and
grammar aren't challenging yet and I'd like to conquer another unit so I have two I can
"entertain" myself with on the long drive home for Christmas.

Also the rest of the CDs for Pimsleur I came in, so I started with lesson 9 today. It feels
like it's an FSI-lite. I wish I had been doing this when I first started, mais mieux vaut
tard que jamais
. Between FSI and Pimsleur I'm probably saying more words in
French each day than I have been in English lately.

I was intrigued with yet disappointed in my first experiment with watching an American
movie dubbed in French with French subtitles. I chose Indiana Jones and the Last
Crusade which I could almost recite as a kid. Now... I actually know enough French
and know the movie well enough to know that both the dubbing and the subtitles are
seem true to the original English, however they only match up with each other 50% of
the time. An easy example is where Indy goes to his dad's house looking for him
yelling "Dad! Dad!" Subtitles say "Papa! Papa!", dubbing says "Pere, Pere!". Ugh. I
actually understood better with no subtitles since it took away from the distraction, but
really I don't know what the more complicated parts of the dialogue actually said word
for word. Maybe if I watched it more intensively by stopping for every sentence I didn't
get and figuring out the audio and text separately when necessary I could actually feel
good about it, but that sounds like a lot of work to get a movie I already know by heart
in its original language. I could see a benefit in learning equivalent statements and
synonyms, but I'm not sure if this is something I should try to do more of yet or not.

redflag
Australia
Joined 3665 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 13 of 58
18 December 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Oh yeah, the random differences between the subbing and the subs! Obviously some
paraphrase is required for space reasons but some changes can’t be for that reason and
are just random. I mean, surely it’s more work to think of your own synonyms than to just
copy the script!   I actually tried to google it to find some behind-the-scene run down
of it to find out the reasons but couldn’t.

I just accept it now and take the view that hearing the differences is a kind of skills
as well ...

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4832 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 14 of 58
18 December 2014 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes, you can find a correct and precise transcript for a tv series or perhaps a
movie as well. But there are not many and you should google "transcript", not
"subtitles". Subtitles are usually just not the same. In the worst case scenario, either
dubbing or subtitles or both come with mistakes. In better ones, there are differences
(even huge ones) but you can use somehow either one or both (I am now trying a German tv
series with both and I find it useful due to my low level that there is often one version
I understand while the other is a mistery). Or it is one more reason to just throw the
subtitles away and just listen. It takes some courage to take the leap, first episode or
two may cause those "help, I cannot understand" panic attacks, but you are very likely to
see a huge jump in your skills in just one season.

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3461 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 

Message 15 of 58
24 December 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Well, heading out on a 10 hour solo drive tomorrow. I have FSI Basic Lesson 1
completed and ready to loop, all of Pimsleur I to loop through at will and... my early
Christmas gift of Assimil NFWE :). So far I really like Assimil from my fam with it, and I
consider the first 10 lessons to be something I can put into the listen queue.

On the minus side, for the next week I won't be able to do much outside of this drive
and the 10 hour drive back, so Duolingo, Anki, and Lingvist are likely to fall behind.

On the series issue, I found that Netflix has an original series called Marco Polo that
streams in English, French, German, and Spanish audio and subtitles. Listening to the
English, there might be some odd formalities of the language usage, but it's worth a
shot I think. I'm running through it with English subtitles first, but am trying to ignore
them to the extent possible and will rewatch without at some later date.

Edited by s.mann on 05 January 2015 at 9:08pm

s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3461 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 

Message 16 of 58
25 December 2014 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
I fell behind on Duolingo and Lingvist the past few days, but yesterday's drive was pretty
productive. I listened to my new Assimil first, but even though I had previewed and then
stopped and re-read, it wasn't the long drive listen I was looking for. Then I switched over
to 100% Pimsleur for 7 hours of review plus a few new, and felt amazing about it. It not
only felt effective for my French, I think it kept me more alert on the road. In the review
my responses felt more automatic and I tripped over my tongue less, so that was great.

The S.O. decided to get me Michel Thomas French Total in addition to the Assimil for X-
mas, so that may be my listening material for the return drive next week. In the meantime
I got in my silent work on Lingvist (37 new words!) and Duolingo (just keeping it golden)
before everyone woke up today, so I'm feeling pretty productive. :)

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version