United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 9 of 54
02 January 2015 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
Always a pleasure to have you drop by, ellasevia! What are your language plans for 2015? I have fond memories of your multicolored flags and legendary multiple language escapades, and wish you every success and happiness in the new year.

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5929 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 10 of 54
02 January 2015 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
Always a pleasure to have you drop by, ellasevia! What are your language plans for 2015? I have fond memories of your multicolored flags and legendary multiple language escapades, and wish you every success and happiness in the new year.

I'm not sure whether I'll be keeping a log this year, so I'll go ahead and divulge my plans. I hope to make a good deal of progress in my focus languages of Chinese, Turkish, and Persian. If all goes according to plan, I'll be living in Istanbul by this time next year and studying Persian at the university. As for Chinese, I'm (probably too optimistically) hoping to be able to move it up to "speaks" before the end of the year. Romanian and Bulgarian may also feature since I'd like to return to Romania and Bulgaria next winter, and then a little Swahili on the side just for fun.

Edited by ellasevia on 02 January 2015 at 9:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3684 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 11 of 54
02 January 2015 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to follow your log and progress in both Hawaiian and Irish, such interesting
languages! Good luck with your studies!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 12 of 54
03 January 2015 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Sooniye! I look forward to us being on the same team this year, and hearing more about your journey in Hindi (my wife's quite a Bollywood fan). :)

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 13 of 54
09 January 2015 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Week 1

The first week of 2015 has sped by swiftly and silently in the wake of last year’s celebrations. I’ve been very busy preparing for the new class I’ll be teaching at university this semester, and am currently nursing an obligatory new year’s cold to which everyone seems to fall prey.

Hawaiian (0.1h)

Apart from visiting my favorite Hawaiian bookstore a couple of times and trading a few phrases with the employees, there isn’t much to report this week. I’m due to start a new Hawaiian course (upper beginner level) at university on Monday, so I aim to revise the first half of my Ka Lei Haʻaheo book this weekend in preparation.

Irish (0.2h)

My beginner and intermediate “Gaeilge Gan Stro!” books finally arrived from Ireland in the post, and after a flick through and a read of part of chapter 1 of the beginner book, I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised so far. They look a bit light on grammar, but they contain all the essential elements to keep me occupied: plenty of dialogues, parallel text, and accompanying native audio.

Russian (7.4h)

I’ve been speaking in Russian with my wife every day, although to be honest, I’ve been slipping back into English towards the end of this week. I started off well for the first couple of days and spoke mainly in Russian, but resisting the temptation to speak in English will no doubt take some time to master. For listening practice, I’ve watched the film “Ирония судьбы” (a New Year’s Eve/Day custom in our home) and 11 episodes of Кухня (season 1, episodes 6-16) this week. As first I found the fast-paced colloquial dialogue very difficult to follow, and simply relied on the visual cues for context, but something strange happened around the 4-5 day period, and the conversations became somewhat easier to follow. Perhaps it’s a matter of getting used to the actors and variety of speech, but I can now more frequently understand whole phrases and sentences, and grasp a fair amount of what’s going on from the dialogue as well.

Other (Ja: 0.1h)

I picked up a new book called "Learn Japanese through Dialogues: At the Restaurant", for which the accompanying audio is free online. Seeing as eating establishments are where I get to practice most of my Japanese, I thought it might be a good idea to work on creating some specific "language islands" for this later in the year. Sadly, I couldn't find any informal or formal Japanese dialogue that included asking for the bill at the end of a meal, so if you know how to do this, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

(Total time spent on learning languages this week: 8 hours)

Edited by Teango on 09 January 2015 at 1:49am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 54
09 January 2015 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Teango wrote:
My beginner and intermediate “Gaeilge Gan Stro!” books finally arrived from Ireland in the post, and after a flick through and a read of part of chapter 1 of the beginner book, I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised so far. They look a bit light on grammar, but they contain all the essential elements to keep me occupied: plenty of dialogues, parallel text, and accompanying native audio.

There are books with too little grammar and there are books that focus exclusively on grammar/grammar-translation. I'd say that GGS is somewhere in between. When I started studying with the book, I found the amount of grammar just about right - enough to explain what is going on in the dialogues, but not so much that it would confuse me instead. What I like the most about the two volumes is the dialogue speed and the blend of accents (something which you're very unlikely to meet in any study material).

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5343 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 15 of 54
11 January 2015 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
@jeff_lindqvist
I also like it when the doses of grammar are just about right, which is something I like about Assimil. Although from time to time, I find it's also good to fill in some of the more persistent gaps with another book that goes into a little more detail. I haven't got round to listening to the audio for GGS just yet, but it will certainly be interesting to hear how they blend the accents.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4584 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 16 of 54
11 January 2015 at 6:47am | IP Logged 
Teango! And wow, Hawaiian :) I'm so interested in your journey with it, as well as with
Irish and Russian, which you obviously have made significant and impressive progress in.
Always enjoy following your logs (I have great memories of your German and Spanish LR
logs), and I'm sure this year will be no exception. Good luck with all that you do.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version