Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 15
03 January 2015 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
Here's a welcome to Team Français 2015. Bienvenue! How have you like Amelie? And how much weird vocabulary is there in the Hobbit?
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 10 of 15
11 January 2015 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Hi IBEP,

Welcome to Team français and good luck with your 2015 goals. I'd not heard of Kannada before, so a quick
visit to the French wikipedia site informs me it's spoken by 45million ppl in south-west India, has three
genders (m, f, n) and uses a heavily Sanskrit influenced writing system, and that around 20 dialects exist. It's
one of the 22 national languages of India and is official in the provence of Karnataka. I'm just sharing what I
learned in case anyone else was curious too :)

Good luck IBEP!
PM

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 15
14 January 2015 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Hello, teammate. It is the first time I am following your log and I am amazed. This is
going to be a thrilling path!

Good luck with the DELE C2, I am looking forward to hearing of your experience.

As for French, I am sure you will progress nicely. You've already noticed the huge
headstart Spanish gave you :-)

I've already heard of Kannada! My class at highschool had been sponsoring together an
indian "classmate". A girl from a poor family who is hopefully now fulfilling her
dream of becoming a teacher and whose native language is Kannada. Most of us at least
used the wikipedia when we heard about Kannada the first time. :-)

To the Hobbit, which I read in French ages ago: I find Tolkien to be a great author
even in translations (really, quite no publisher will destroy such a jewel by printing
a bad translation) and the vocabulary isn't by far as weird as some people expect it
to be. There are many scenes with everyday vocabulary, great descriptions, the
dialogues are nice and the fantasy vocabulary gets repeated a lot and makes a great
base for anyone wishing to read some more fantasy, historical fiction, historical
novels and so on. Do you agree IBEP, or is your experience different from mine?

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5150 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 12 of 15
15 January 2015 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Nice, another advanced team member going for the C2 test! It should be an exciting year! Fortunately my region offers the test around May and December so even if I miss May I can maybe add my name to the list before the end of the year :) And it's nice seeing a much less studied/known language (and a heritage language to boot)!

IBEP
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3390 days ago

19 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Kannada*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 13 of 15
27 January 2015 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys, I've been super busy so I have been unable to post in a couple of weeks, but my language studies are coming along
fantastically! One major change though- I will be going to South Korea in March for at least 3 months but possibly upwards of 5 (or
longer!). As I do not wish to waste that opportunity linguistically speaking, I am dropping Chinese for the foreseeable future (read:
years, at least until my Korean is at a decent level). Instead I will be studying Korean! Starting today, in fact.

My course of study looks like something like this:

FSI Korean- by the way, the old FSI site is down; you guys can find the new one here: http://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/ In fact that site
includes some more remastered/improved courses, one of which is the Korean course

Concurrently, learn Hangul with some mnemonic system, perhaps Mnemosyne has something; alternatively, come up with something on
my own, perhaps utilizing the techniques I learned in Técnicas de Memoria Veloz (the Spanish book I mentioned earlier)

Towards the end of this course, hopefully my French will be at a level where I can use Assimil Le Coréen Sans Peine

And somewhere towards the end of FSI or the beginning of Assimil, add in a robust Korean textbook (I've seen several recommendations
here and around the web, not sure which I'm gonna settle on. Advice appreciated.)

And while in Korea, I will be taking an approximately 20 hr/week Korean language course.

Plus native media, graded readers, etc.

Jeffers wrote:
Here's a welcome to Team Français 2015. Bienvenue! How have you like Amelie? And how much weird vocabulary is
there in the Hobbit?

Merci! Amelie is fantastic, really quirky humor, right up my alley haha.

The Hobbit has some unusual vocab but nearly all of that is cognate with the English: les elfes, les orcs, etc. If LOTR fascinates you,
definitely worth a read/listen.

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Hi IBEP,

Welcome to Team français and good luck with your 2015 goals. I'd not heard of Kannada before, so a quick
visit to the French wikipedia site informs me it's spoken by 45million ppl in south-west India, has three
genders (m, f, n) and uses a heavily Sanskrit influenced writing system, and that around 20 dialects exist. It's
one of the 22 national languages of India and is official in the provence of Karnataka. I'm just sharing what I
learned in case anyone else was curious too :)

Good luck IBEP!
PM

Hey Peter,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes that is correct about Kannada, but with regard to the genders, it's a little more complicated than what
students of European languages might be accustomed to. This would be a better way of classifying it I think:

animate male
animate female
inanimate

So the first two categories generally refer to people (but also gods, sometimes named pets, etc. and theoretically aliens). The inanimate
category refers to everything else. So it's not arbitrary gender like in some other languages. Each of those genders has its own
conjugation pattern, so there's noun-verb gender agreement, rather than noun-adjective agreement (adjectives are not gendered at all).

This produces some interesting speech patterns, where you could (for example) refer to a newborn infant in the inanimate gender, in
recognition of its lack of agency, or as male/female inanimate, depending on what rhetorical goal you're looking to accomplish.
Likewise with pets.

Cavesa wrote:
Hello, teammate. It is the first time I am following your log and I am amazed. This is
going to be a thrilling path!

Good luck with the DELE C2, I am looking forward to hearing of your experience.

Thank you for your kind words!

Cavesa wrote:
As for French, I am sure you will progress nicely. You've already noticed the huge
headstart Spanish gave you :-)

Yes! Just as an update, my French is really growing by leaps and bounds. It's amazing what a difference cognate discount can make.
Somewhere around the middle of this month (around the 15th or so) I turned on the radio station France Culture and was absolutely
shocked that sometimes I could understand as much as 80% of a segment. I'm listening to the first Hunger Games now, and although
I've read it before in English (but years ago), I really have only minor problems following the plot, and I'm picking up contextual
vocabulary quite quickly.

Cavesa wrote:
I've already heard of Kannada! My class at highschool had been sponsoring together an
indian "classmate". A girl from a poor family who is hopefully now fulfilling her
dream of becoming a teacher and whose native language is Kannada. Most of us at least
used the wikipedia when we heard about Kannada the first time. :-)

That's fantastic!

Cavesa wrote:
To the Hobbit, which I read in French ages ago: I find Tolkien to be a great author
even in translations (really, quite no publisher will destroy such a jewel by printing
a bad translation) and the vocabulary isn't by far as weird as some people expect it
to be. There are many scenes with everyday vocabulary, great descriptions, the
dialogues are nice and the fantasy vocabulary gets repeated a lot and makes a great
base for anyone wishing to read some more fantasy, historical fiction, historical
novels and so on. Do you agree IBEP, or is your experience different from mine?

I agree, there's a lot of vocabulaire quotidien.

However, reading the translation, I remember reading many years ago that the translation of LOTR into one of the Scandinavian
languages (either Swedish or Norwegian, I can't remember which) was quite abysmal until a newer edition published much more
recently. Apparently it was the cause of much ire amongst Tolkien fans who speak that language.

sctroyenne wrote:
Nice, another advanced team member going for the C2 test! It should be an exciting year! Fortunately my region
offers the test around May and December so even if I miss May I can maybe add my name to the list before the end of the year :) And it's
nice seeing a much less studied/known language (and a heritage language to boot)!

¡Buena suerte, amigo!

Edited by IBEP on 27 January 2015 at 6:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4556 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 14 of 15
16 March 2015 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
It's late, but it's great following your log and being with you on the team, IBEP! Your
plans so far seem solid, and I'm intrigued with the focus you'll be putting on Korean
from now on. Good luck, and I hope 2015 would a good year for you, in everything.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 15 of 15
25 August 2015 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Hi IBEP,

Are you still out there? STill learning languages?

Many of the French team have migrated to the " how-to-learn-any-language.org "
alternative website.

Feel free to come and join us!

PM

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version