Ending
United States
Joined 5113 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 25 of 28
01 February 2015 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Since I'm planning on participating in the 6 week challenge, I thought I'd make a little
post about my goals/plans for that challenge in particular. For starters, I don't use
Twitter (I'm still resisting it for reasons I don't even fully comprehend), so I won't be
keeping track of anything through the leader boards. I will however continue tracking my
time via Toggl, and post it with my (semi-)usual updates. Now, for the goals:

I have three main goals for the next six weeks. First, I'd like to finish up the duolingo
tree. I went through a calendar and attempted to assign lessons to each day, with a review
day at least once a week. With the schedule I made up, I should finish it around March 5th,
assuming I actually stick to it!

My second goal is to finish the grammar book I've been using: "easy french step-by-step." I
feel it reinforces the material from duolingo and my other resources pretty well, so I'd
like to actually finish it. I've done a rough plan for that as well, which normally breaks
down each chapter between two days, again with at least one review/break day a week. If I
stick with that schedule, I should finish it some time around the end of February.

My third main goal is going to be to start using the 'easy french reader,' and I'd like to
complete through the second part in that. I'm thinking (or at least hoping) that this will
be the easiest of my goals.

Other than that, I plan on continuing with my other main resources: mostly Lingvist and
Assimil. If I actually manage to do an Assimil lesson a day, I should be able to finish the
first passive wave by the end of the six weeks as well. Knowing my history with Assimil,
however, I'm not going to make that one of my main goals (though it'll still be nice if it
happens).

So here's to a (hopefully) productive six weeks, and good luck to everybody else
participating!
1 person has voted this message useful

Ending
United States
Joined 5113 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes

Message 26 of 28
17 February 2015 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I've been neglecting this the last few weeks, which I regret. Unfortunately, I've been rather
distracted by life the last couple of weeks: in a good way at least! being more social, etc.
However, this means that I haven't been putting as much time toward my French as I would like.
I've (mostly) kept up on duolingo, lingvist and my anki deck-missing a day here or there, but
that's it. Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping on track with anything else. For duolingo,
I've mostly been reviewing (for some reason I've been getting a *ton* of decayed skills each
day?) and I'm sad to say I've barely touched any grammar.

Here's to hoping I can manage to get back on track soon!

Ending
United States
Joined 5113 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes

Message 27 of 28
18 April 2015 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
So, life happened, and it unfortunately distracted be from my French studies for the last
two months or so. I will say that I never *completely* neglected French, and managed to at
least get a duolingo review in each day, but often that was it. Now that I once again have
a little more free time, I'm hoping to get back into some more serious studying and keeping
this log updated once again.

I started committing more time to studying about a week ago, though in that time I have
focused almost exclusively on duolingo. I did, however, manage to finish the French tree
today, and I plan on going back to strengthen all my decaying skills now. I also hope in
the next week or so to get caught up on my lingvist reviews, as they have fallen very, very
far behind.

Just a small update to show that I haven't completely forgotten French, and hopefully some
motivation for me to get caught back up^^

Ending
United States
Joined 5113 days ago

19 posts - 20 votes

Message 28 of 28
08 June 2015 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
It's been awhile since I updated this so:

I've been pretty consistent with my French studies the last month or so. I try to get a few
hours in in the morning, spread out across various resources.

Duolingo: I've kept the tree golden, and started on the reverse tree (though I've only been
working on that sporadically)

Lingvist: I'm at 2,215 words by their count, and I've been fairly consistent with daily
reviews.

Easy French Reader: I'm working through the 3rd part in that at the moment--I'm finding it
much more challenging than the second section, which I breezed through in a couple of days.

Other: I've started reading le petit prince, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm only
30-40 pages in, but it's a nice little boost to my confidence that I can at least get the
gist of the story (I've never read it before, even in English). I'll probably go through
the story a second time to more actively figure out all of the vocabulary and such. Other
than that I've been fairly sporadic with my other resources, though I am giving memrise a
try--not sure how much I like it yet though.

Future: I do have a few goals for the summer, and I'm hoping I can complete them all. For
starters I'd like to actually start updating this log again (I really have no excuse not
to). I also want to finish Le petit prince, and hopefully read another book in French
(probably Harry Potter). I've also started working through French in Action, and would like
to complete that by the end of summer. Overall my focus is going to be on strengthening
reading and listening, so I can hopefully focus on writing/speaking in the fall.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version