Czech Republic
Joined 4810 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 13
20 December 2014 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Well, what helped me a lot in my Spanish beginnings was to listen a lot. That
differenciated the languages in my head sufficiently and made a clear distinction between
my French habits and the newer Spanish ones. I'm sure you'll get over your obstacles
soon.

Yes, the classical music is great. But there is a lot in the modern music as well, there
are many more and varied artists than the usual stereotype of overly sweet disco.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3714 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 10 of 13
21 December 2014 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Oh I understand that there is likely a good deal of modern music that is good, it is just that since I am a classical musician that is where my main interest in music lies, thank you for the suggestions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4810 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 13
21 December 2014 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Sure, in that case you've absolutely chosen the best language for you in the world :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3853 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 13
21 December 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Your knowledge of French and Spanish will most definitely be helpful in your attempts to communicate in Italian. Depending on what your goals are and how much time you can devote to preparing yourself, you might wish to consider the following "tourist speak" resources listed below. They will NOT take you to the conversational level. However, they would help you express your basic needs at a functional/survival level and, hopefully, help you be understood by your interlocators.

DLI Italian Headstart
The course has fairly limited goals and introduces some military ranks that you can simply ignore. However, it does have ample exercise material and it's freely available on the FSI-Language-Courses website: FSI Italian Headstart

Routledge Colloquial Italian
Some reviewers are rather harsh when it comes to the Routledge Colloquial series, partly because of the limited scope of the material and partly because the native speakers speak quite quickly. To my mind, they misunderstand the goals of these courses, which are to help the visitor achieve a very basic functional/transactional level of the target language. Routledge Colloquial Italian 1. If you choose this option, be sure to acquire the PACK as the book and CDs are of little value when used separately.

Linguaphone PDQ Italian
This is something of a phrase book masquerading as a language course. It is VERY BASIC, but it meets the most essential communication goals of a traveller. Don't bother buying the printed version with the CDs as this isn't a keeper. Rather, order the PDF and MP3 download, go through the exercises and try to ignore the CHEERY voice-over and chinzty Italian music. Linguaphone PDQ Italian.

Enjoy your trip!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3714 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 13 of 13
21 December 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Eventually I'd love to be able to actually understand the Italian operas without subtitles, but for now I just want the basics, enough to ask for important things, and understand the replies. In my experience conversational language is usually the easiest of goals. Being fluent is very much harder. While I'm there I figure I'll use my time on the buses and what not to learn as much as I don't already know. Thanks again to all the suggestions.

Edited by Tyrion101 on 21 December 2014 at 8:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version