Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4343 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 89 of 225
10 January 2015 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
carlyd wrote:

I just found out that my satellite tv provider has a German package of 6 channels. Because of the cost I'd have to basically cut off my current package and only have the German channels.

At what point would be best to do this? A2? B1?

That's really a question of taste and style.

I started watching shows almost immediately when I started learning German; certainly within the first couple of months while I was still living in London. I would have only been A2 perhaps. You have to take the long view and accept that you'll won't understand a lot for while, but I think it's really helpful to start hearing the language as soon as possible. I don't think (but it's impossible to be sure) that I picked up much vocabulary early on from watching shows, but I would regularly have the experience of recognising words that I had recently learnt and over time I picked up more and more.

What sort of programming are you getting? Are they dubbed HBO shows, movies and the like? Or is it straight German TV, which can have a pretty poor reputation. Can you get German subtitles?

As you can see below I pretty quickly got into a regular viewing habit - the SC was really helpful here for motivation. I think it was about the 200-300 film mark that I really started to get comfortable with films, and it's only in the last six months that I have started to really feel that I understand nearly everything I hear. It was
at about the 200 film mark that I stopped occasionally using German subtitles.

I know some people feel that you need to get up to 80%-95% comprehension before input can be useful, but that's not my experience. I don't think watching films on their own without some other way of building vocabulary is very efficient -- in another life I once watched five seasons of LOST in German without subtitles and only picked up a handful of words -- but as part of a broader learning strategy with reading and perhaps Anki it can be very helpful.

The truth is that whether you are A2 or B1 (or even one of the B2/C1 language school people I see here in Berlin) if you have only done courses the gap between your ability to access native materials is always going to be huge so in my opinion it's better to start as soon as possible.

Quote:

Level at Start: A1
Start Date: July 2012

Level at 100 Movie Level: B1
Date: November 2012

Level at 200 Movie Level: B1-spoken / B2-reading / B1/B2-listening.
Date: 31 July 2013

Level at 300 Movie - 10000 Pages: B1-spoken / B2-reading/listening.
Date: 31 December 2013

Level at 400 Movie: B1-spoken / B2-reading/listening.
Date: 30 April 2014

Level at 500 Movie: B1-spoken / B2-reading/listening.
Date: 5 August 2014

Level at 600 Movie: B1-spoken / C1-listening/B2-reading.
Date: 15 October 2014

Level at 700 Movie - 20000 Pages: B1-spoken / C1-listening/B2-reading.
Date: 21 December 2014

Edited by patrickwilken on 10 January 2015 at 8:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3892 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 90 of 225
10 January 2015 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
Another option is to import Stargate SG1/Xfiles dubbed boxsets from amazon.de. The Euro has tanked so it should not be that expensive. Each series contains about 9000 minutes of material = 150 hrs.

Ramblurr
United States
binaryelysium.com
Joined 4150 days ago

30 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), German

Message 91 of 225
10 January 2015 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I'd choose DVD/streaming/downloads over live TV for the pre-B2 levels. Pretty much every
show and film is available on amazon.de dubbed with German and with German and English
subtitles.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4343 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 92 of 225
10 January 2015 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Ramblurr wrote:
I'd choose DVD/streaming/downloads over live TV for the pre-B2 levels. Pretty much every
show and film is available on amazon.de dubbed with German and with German and English
subtitles.

Streaming is probably not available outside certain EU countries; which was why I was interested where you lived, as the streaming options for German are now getting really good if you are within the right copyright regions.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5161 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 93 of 225
10 January 2015 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Hello team mates! I just signed up for Team Rätsel after having considered it a few
days.
:) I'm looking forward to joining a team again and be able to learn together! Here's
my
log

So now, to catch up with your challenges:

First challenge
Book: My so far absolute favorite book in German is Die Zwerge. It's a fantasy book
with a little bit Lord of the Ring style, but a lot more humorous and easy to read and
with a focus on the dwarves. I can really recommend it! There are three more books,
but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Movie: Amazingly enough I still haven't seen a German movie that isn't a disney movie,
so I guess I'll just mention that I love the German versions of Frost (Die Eiskönigin)
and Tangled (Rapunzel - neu verföhnt)!

Music: My favourite song is probably Geboren um zu leben with Unheilig. Bands that I
like are Saltatio Mortis, Ignis Fatuu, Letzte Instanz, Subway to Sally and Pur.

Edited by WingSuet on 10 January 2015 at 12:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5161 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 94 of 225
10 January 2015 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
And the January Challenge:

Nach drei Semester von deutschen Studien bei der Universität studiere ich jetzt, um
Übersetzerin aus dem Deutschen ins Schwedische, meine Muttersprache, zu sein. Ich muss
nur noch sechs Monate studieren, bevor ich damit fertig bin, aber ich fühle, meine
Kentnisse der deutschen Sprache sind nicht gut genug, und ich muss sie deswegen
schnell verbessern, damit ich als Übersetzerin erfolgreich werden kann. Ich kann
Deutsch gut verstehen, besonders im Schrift, aber meine mündliche Fähigkeiten sind
wirklich nicht gut. Deshalb habe ich einen kleinen Plan, in Deutschland für etwa ein
halbes Jahr oder so zu wohnen, aber ich weiß überhaupt nicht, ob es durchführbar ist.
Es wäre ja sehr gut für mich, aber ich kenne mich selbst. Ich mache gerne Pläne, aber
dann überlege ich mir oft anders und ich führe sie nicht durch. Mal sehen ob dieser
Plan erfüllt wird ;)

And in English:
After having studied German for three semesters at University I'm now studying to
become a translator from German to Swedish, my native language. I only have six months
left before I'm done, but I feel that I'm not good enough in German yet, so I'll have
to improve quickly if I want to be a successful translator. I can understand German
well, but my speaking abilities are very poor. Therefor I have a plan to live in
Germany for about half a year, but I don't know if I'll be able to do it. It would be
good for me, but I know myself. I like making plans, but then I often change my mind
and don't fulfill them. We'll see if I'll be able to fulfill this plan ;)

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3481 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 95 of 225
10 January 2015 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet, welcome to the Team Rätsel!

On Assimil

Does anyone know whether I can achieve a good passive A1 level knowledge at the end of
Assimil German With Ease? I am considering here A1 grammar patterns and vocabulary.

I am studying with both Assimil and Germanpod101.com, but what do you think about
adding Hugo in 3 months or any of DW's courses (Mission in Berlin, Radio D Teil 1
and Deutsch Interaktiv)?

A friend of mine said I can borrow from him Lagune, Begegnungen and some other
textbooks as well.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 10 January 2015 at 1:01pm

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4044 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 96 of 225
10 January 2015 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet, willkommen :) I like Letzte Instanz too, but mostly the old one, with Sebastian Lohse (eh, where to find what's he done since...)

Die deutsche Sprache ist wie ein Fluch,
der mir immer folgen wird.
Morgens sehe ich häufig ein Buch,
und dann denke ich geschwind:

Was soll ich machen dann,
wenn ich das Buch lesen will?
Weil ich gerade sagen kann,
dass ich nicht so gut bin.

Um ein Buch zu nehmen
und zu lesen, muss ich
so viel machen und wehren...
Bin ich mir sicher? Leider nicht.

Ich gebe doch nicht auf,
die Hoffnung lebt noch im Gesicht.
Und stehe ich fest drauf,
dass ich alles machen kann. Ja, ich!

What I imply here is that my prime target is reading. But to be honest German means so much to me, that I have no choice but to improve everything. It will haunt me otherwise.
As for my level... hell if I know, honestly. I have passed B1 test on dw.de, but surely I am not B1 yet. Even A2 might not yet be covered, since I often get even the easiest rules wrong, plus my vocabulary is really, really small.

To German speakers lurking here: please feel free to correct everything! Including this schlechtes Gedicht via lang-8

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version