United States
mandarinexperiment.o
Joined 3520 days ago

66 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
21 December 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday while driving I mentally designed a self-administered French proficiency
test that takes just 30 minutes. I later wrote down the rules (which I've pasted
below), took the test myself and posted my embarrassing results for the whole world to
see. It's really simple and avoids the major test design challenge of grading, since
the purpose of this test is to take it periodically (in my case, maybe about once a
year) and simply compare results over time.

I would be happy to receive all manner of comments including:

(1) What did you think of my test?
(2) How would you assess my writing and speaking results?
(3) What would your prognosis be regarding my progress?
(4) You take my test and post your results.
(5) Anybody care to join me in my French Fluency Recovery Project?
(6) Explain your own strategies for learning or improving your French.

I learned French when I was a young lad, but I never use it and my fluency has been
deteriorating year after year. At 12 years old, with four months at a French school in
Burundi in 1991, I went from practically zero knowledge to a high degree of fluency--I
was able to get good grades and have social interactions like any French or Belgian
kid.

After that, however, my studies were pretty much limited to one semester of an
excellent French class while studying at Williams College in 1999, and then a period
of perhaps six months in 2006 during which I spoke with the manager at my language
institute, who was a native speaker, for a few minutes a day, took about 10 or 15 one-
hour classes with him, and listened to about 15 minutes of RFI a day.

Nowadays, I don't consider myself fluent anymore. As I wrote last week on my blog,
"It’s so rusty that I’m hesitant to use it at all. On the rare occasions I have the
opportunity to speak in French, things often go well for a few sentences. However, as
conversation transitions to untested ground, terrifying gaps in my vocabulary emerge
like yawning abysses and I recoil back to a more familiar language."

So my plan now is to devote an average of at least 10 minutes per day for a couple of
years, until I recover full fluency. Possibly, this will become a lifelong habit.

Thus, the purpose of the test is to be able to measure and share my progress. Here are
the instructions, followed by my essay. You can hear my speaking answer and read a little more about my project here.

TEST INSTRUCTIONS

Open Le Monde, go to Culture section and read articles in exact order they appear
for 10 minutes without taking any notes or looking anything up. You should read
approximately 900 words of texts, regardless of the number of articles.

Close the articles, immediately begin speaking without any type of aid for 5 minutes.
You must try to summarize what you read and give your opinion about the topics,
without getting off topic at all.

Open plain text document and write for 15 minutes, without spell or grammar check,
Internet use, or any other type of support. You must try to summarize what you read
and give your opinion about the texts, without straying off topic. You should write
approximately 250 words of text.

WRITING ANSWER

J’ai lu trois articles. Les premiers deux étaient sur le noveau Musée des Confluences.
Ce musée raconte toute l’histoire de l’humanité ! C’est à dire, c’est três ambitieux !
Il occupe 30,000 mètre carré. Il contient millards des pieces representant les aspects
cientifiques et symboliques de l’humanité, dès les civiliations anciens jusqu’a la
modernité.

Le investissement a été fait completement par le Département du Rhôde. Au début, ils
ont calculé que le coût serait 60 millons d´euros, mas au final il a couté comme 289
millons d’euros ! Ça parait les projets au Brésil. Il me surprent qu´en France ça
serait ainsi – enfin, la France est un pays sérieux !

Le musée est part de projeto urbain au centre ville dans le sud de presqu’ils
lyonaisse. Ce projet a transformé tout-à-fait la región, qui est actuelment
méconnaissable. La transformation a été faite par des investissement privée et
publique. Il y a des bâtiments de bureaux et aussi de apartements (e je ne me souvient
pas le mot pour les lieus où les gens vivent).

Le troisième article étaient sur le film Timbuktu, qui a était choisi comme un des
candidats pour l’Oscar du meilleur film étranger. C’est sur une invasion des islamiste
en Toumbactou et il est basé en faits réels, puisque en faite en 2012 Al Qaeda a
occupé pour un temps, avant que l’armée française l’a expulsé.

Le film est un co-production entre France e Mauritanie. Il y a des autres candidats a
meilleur film étranger : parmi eux, un film suédois et un argentin.

SPEAKING ANSWER

Available here.

Edited by victorhart on 21 December 2014 at 3:39pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

catullus_roar
Quadrilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4381 days ago

89 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Malay, Hokkien*, English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese*, French, German, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Latin, Armenian, Afrikaans, Russian

Message 2 of 3
27 December 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 

(1) What did you think of my test?

- I think it's very similar to some parts of the DALF C1 test, and therefore is a valid way to assess not just fluency of comprehension/production, but also working ability in the language.

(2) How would you assess my writing and speaking results?

- As a francophone, I could understand everything you wrote even though there were grammar issues. You seem to be writing from 'sound', and a lot of the mistakes seem to be derived from your phonetics. You definitely have a good grasp of vocabulary, though how much of that was from the Le Monde articles is difficult to determine. The accent, in terms of speaking, is pretty bad (sorry). Strong 'anglophone' accent. Still, it is definitely comprehensible and I get the gist of what you're saying. A+ for effort in keeping the speech going even though you were struggling at points.

(3) What would your prognosis be regarding my progress?

- I think that based on your attitude and your experience with language learning (checked out your Wordpress), you'll definitely be able to get your French back to an ideal level. Your biggest weakness right now would be speaking, which I suspect might carry over to your listening. Perhaps another component of your test, to be added, could be listening to Radio France for 5 minutes and summarizing the conversation?

Due to sheer laziness I'm not going to take the test right now, but I would love to in the near future. I'm also interested in the fact that you're picking up Mandarin - it is one of the most difficult ones to pick up accurately, coming from a native speaker.
4 persons have voted this message useful

victorhart
Bilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
mandarinexperiment.o
Joined 3520 days ago

66 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 3
03 January 2015 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
catullus_roar,

I truly appreciate your taking the time to look at my test and comment on it. I'm glad
you considered the test valid and I'm sure you're right about my poor accent and
grammar. I'm a little surprised you're more positive about my vocabulary than my
accent, since my self-assessment is quite the opposite, but that is useful feedback.

My listening comprehension, at least with RFI, is actually near 100%. So I obviously
need to get speaking practice, which is the hardest thing to do. I will take at least
one one-hour class per month.

By the way, I am very impressed that you have 4 native languages. How is that
possible?

I am native in Portuguese and English because I've spoken both pretty much my entire
life, and though I grew up with English, I have used mostly Portuguese, intensively
and conscientiously, for the past 14 years. I have a vague goal of reaching native or
near-native proficiency in French and Spanish (I'm close to near-native in Spanish),
and maybe in a couple of decades in Mandarin - but I sometimes wonder whether that is
even actually possible. Although I speak multiple languages, I don't believe I have
any special talent for acquiring them.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version