arthaey.com
Joined 4831 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 45
22 December 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Background

I'm taking a year off and spending all of 2015 in Mexico to improve my Spanish. So the TAC 2015 challenge sounds like a perfect way to stay accountable during my travels.

This is my first log here, so comments, questions, and suggestions are all very welcome!

Language Skill Level(s)

I'm currently at a high intermediate level, albeit with differing levels if you break it down by language skill:
  • Reading: able to read pretty much anything I want

• Writing: able to write on most topics, although I make a fair number of errors and I either look up words or rephrase often

• Listening: able to understand documentaries easily, the news at 80-90%, and live people anywhere between 20-90% depending on their speech & patience ;)

• Speaking: able to get tasks completed with liberate amounts of gesturing and circumlocution, and able to chit-chat with a fairly patient partner

I took a guided "quiz" of the CEFR rubric, which placed me where I expected for my level of Spanish in the various language skills: C2/C1 reading/writing & B2/B1 listening/speaking.

What I'm hoping to get out of my time in Mexico is bumping my verbal skills up into the C-level too.

Language Practice

There are a couple places online where I'll be putting my written (and maybe even spoken) Spanish practice, if anyone is really that curious. ;)
  • Twitter: @arthaey_es

• YouTube: recordings of speaking practice

• Blog: blog.arthaey.com has bilingual posts (which I edit as I get corrections); chit-chatty commentary on where I am & what I'm up to; meant for my friends & family, but y'all are welcome to read/comment too :)

• Lang-8: my entries (almost exclusively blog posts that I've received corrections for)

Study Plan

Before my trip, I've been ramping up my usage of Spanish (mostly on the passive skills, unfortunately). I fly to León, Guanajuato, México on January 6th, at which point I should have much more interesting things to report here on my log. :)

Edited by Arthaey on 27 December 2014 at 12:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3929 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 45
22 December 2014 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Interesting! Will you be studying formally in school, or informally through travel/immersion?

Xenops
United States
thexenops.deviantart
Joined 3610 days ago

112 posts - 158 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 3 of 45
22 December 2014 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
Nice! Looking forward to it. :)

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4831 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 

Message 4 of 45
22 December 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Interesting! Will you be studying formally in school, or informally through
travel/immersion?

I'm spending at least one week taking a Mexican cooking & Mexican politics classes at
two different language schools. Other than that, I'm playing it very much by ear (heh, no
language-learning pun intended) and mostly relying on travel/immersion.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4831 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 

Message 5 of 45
22 December 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
I've put up my (first-ever!) audio clip of me speaking Spanish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80t20HIYI4s

Feedback is welcome, either here or on YouTube.

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4831 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 

Message 6 of 45
22 December 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have suggestions on what to say, when recording oneself to practice
speaking? I don't enjoy "smalltalk" nor just going on and on extemporaneously. What do
others do?

I could read a little bit from the news, I suppose, or from a book. Or maybe from
(corrected) journal entries that I wrote.

Other/better/more interesting suggestions appreciated! :)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5650 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 7 of 45
22 December 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Is there anything in particular you are interested in? I often write about things that i'm interested in and come up with short stories (that sometimes continue for a couple chapters). You can talk about a hobby, a problem you had recently, etc.

Generally i think you get a better idea of how you speak when you aren't reading from a script, if you want to talk about a news item try giving a summary of what you read rather than reading verbatim. An introduction wouldn't hurt, either, talking about how long you've studied Spanish, why, what your plans are, how you use it, etc.

Perhaps thinking up a couple "Érase una vez..." stories would be interesting as well.

Mucha suerte, ¡que te diviertas mucho este año (y que aprendas un montón también, claro ;))!

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4831 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 

Message 8 of 45
22 December 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Is there anything in particular you are interested in? I often write about
things that i'm interested in and come up with short stories (that sometimes continue
for a couple chapters). You can talk about a hobby, a problem you had recently, etc.

Ugh, even thinking about doing that in English sounds terrible to me. I really really
hate extemporaneous talking. (Conversations with give and take are different, and
generally okay — the difference being that I can judge whether the other person is
bored or wants to hear more on a particular thing I said.)

On the other hand...

Crush wrote:
Generally i think you get a better idea of how you speak when you
aren't reading from a script

...I think the point you make here is very true.

Maybe the secret is to make myself "talking point" notes, so it's not all off the top
of my head, but neither is it completed "scripted". That technique worked well when I
had to give speeches in school; maybe that class was good for something after all! ;)

That doesn't really address the "am I boring you?" concern, but hopefully I'll get better
about that over time, as I get feedback from my friendly neighborhood HTLAL folks. :)

Crush wrote:
Mucha suerte, ¡que te diviertas mucho este año (y que aprendas un
montón también, claro ;))!

Muchas gracias por tus ánimos. :)

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version