Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4320 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 33 of 36
28 December 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
mairov wrote:
I learned English mainly through input. I rarely have the opportunity to talk to other people in English. As a result, I make many mistakes.

I have to say that's not so obvious from your writing. Perhaps Input really does work!
5 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4077 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 34 of 36
28 December 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
Input is also less expensive than a tutour and moving to the country, plus taking a lot
of classes. I am not sure what the financial situation of everyone is, but I would think
that if one has more money they have more options to spend for those types of methods
than someone who cannot afford it and must use free methods, viz. input. Instead of
creating my own immersive environment by input and my own method of using the languages
daily, I could probably decide to travel to Spain or Argentina for Spanish, to the
Netherlands, and whereever, find accommodation for the entire stay, hire a tutour, spend
one of two year abroad with solely the aim of improving my languages, and then also take
some classes there. The problem is that, at the end, I probably would have to sell my
car, house, and declare bankruptcy.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 28 December 2014 at 8:47pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 35 of 36
28 December 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Many people who say they can't afford something could literally afford it, they just can't justify spending the money. I can't justify paying the price of a good book for a conversation I won't even enjoy.

ijsn
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3531 days ago

12 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 36 of 36
03 January 2015 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
This is an extremelly interesting thread. I studied English in schools for approximately 5
years and I think most of my English came from them. But then, i'm not fluent yet... I'm
trying to improve in order to speak at a C1 level, but that is really difficult. It's hard to
believe that i can achieve that only with listening, but it's the only thing that i do,
because i'm too lazy to do anything else. But then, when i read stuff like Mairo's post and
this link (http://successfulenglish.com/2010/04/frustration-to-success -how-he-did-it/), i
start to believe that it is indeed possible. I got in touch with the guy described in the
article and he confirmed that he learned only with comprehensible input.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version