hobom
Triglot
Joined 4018 days ago

33 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 3
24 December 2014 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
Recently, I played a bit with the Chorus method to improve my English accent.
I took a speech by Marc Cuban and repeated the individual sentences over and over. While I feel that I made some progress, I feel that my accent is decidedly not native. However, I cant really point out the differences to an original American accent, all I can say it does not "sound quite right"
So I would appreciate your criticism and suggestions as to what I can improve. Thank you.

Here is the link (it is taken from an interview by Marc Cuban on racism)
1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5182 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 2 of 3
24 December 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Excellent job! Accent is minimal, but the hints increase as you go along.

After a few quick listens, the main issues are:

t becomes ts: into, to, take

r is sometimes German-sounding

There is some German-sounding raising (usually?) on stressed vowels: learn, responsibility

karet (ʌ) is off sometimes (too open): because, customers, somewhere

Edited by Arekkusu on 24 December 2014 at 3:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

TerryW
United States
Joined 6158 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 3
01 January 2015 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
Your American accent is very good. If I had to rate it, I'd give it a 90% or so.

I'm not an expert, but I would never guess that your native language is German, so you're doing a good job of
losing what a typical German accent in English sounds like to me.

Here are my suggestions to improve, but I'm not sure I can help, since I am pretty ignorant of the IPA
designations like schwa, etc., and have no idea what a karat (^) sounds like with respect to pronunciation.

Also, the examples I'll use below may be particular to my personal American accent (southeast Pennsylvania
my whole life) and might not be the same as standard American English.

In your sound clip, the most obvious variance from how I speak is the way you say "to," which is most
exaggerated at time 0:17 (try to) and 0:26 (to improve).

You're pronouncing the vowel in "to" the way I would say Would, Could, Should, Wood, Took, Foot. But I
pronounce "To" like the o's in all of the following: Who, Do, You, Boo!, Boot, Shoot, Two, and Too.

At time 0:43, you're pronouncing "learn" in kind of a British way, hardly pronouncing the "r." I pronounce
Learn with a strong American "R" sound, just like I would pronounce the "ur" sound in Burn, Turn, Fern,
Church, Birch, Skirt, Bert, Alert.

Edit: LOL, I just watched Mark Cuban's talk on YouTube, and he sometimes pronounces it the way that you
tried to copy it. You will sound better if you pronounce "To" the way he pronounces it in this video at time 1:12
(live up to) and 1:40 (to improve).

Mark Cuban Comments on Racism Vid

Edited by TerryW on 01 January 2015 at 8:39am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version