Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Where to find REAL French conversation???

Tags: Resources | French
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
14 messages over 2 pages: 1
akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5222 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 9 of 14
16 January 2015 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I've always thought that Caméra café would be a great resource to hear (real) spoken French. Beware though that bits of it are more vulgar than what you should use even in an informal setting.
1 person has voted this message useful

calduche
Bilingual Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 4930 days ago

9 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French*, English*, GermanC2, Dutch
Studies: Portuguese, Swahili

Message 10 of 14
16 January 2015 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
The most famous French youtubers are Norman and Cyprien. They use normal, every day language, make no effort to adapt to non-native speakers and upload new videos regularly.
Some French TV shows such as Camera Cafe have been mentioned (I think they are great because the episodes are so short), and along the same lines, a show a German friend of mines used to improve his French was Kaamelott. Note that it will also improve your knowledge of French swear words.
Un gars une fille also has a similar format.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 14
16 January 2015 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Fluent French Now was a great resource, and I hadn't even realised it was still online.
Seems the site has been broken for the last year or two, so you can't go to the previous
page of entries and can only see the latest few 10, and the RSS feed doesn't work. It's a
shame, but even these latest entries have some useful stuff.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4823 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 14
18 January 2015 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
I highly recommend using tv series as a kind of a ladder to the real French. Several
htlalers have had great success with it, such as emk who's advice is good as usual.

I'd recommend such a sequence to make the learning curve digestible:
1. a foreign tv series with good quality French dubbing. I liked Grimm, Eureka, emk
had great success with Buffy.
2. a not that hard original series. I really liked Profilage but there are more.
3: hard tv series with lots of colloquial language. Engrenages are a typical exemple
of such, or Héro Corp I'm watching right now. And there are many more.
4: extra hard things, such as certain comedians, very heated debates and so on.

Suprisingly, the tv series represent quite well the "standard colloquial" language.
Sure, a group of teenagers may be speaking differently (just as a team of miners,
SDF's or highly specialized academics talking about their field) but most people
shouldn't be that hard and you will be much better equiped to adapt to new
enviroments.

I must admit I don't like to learn with the radio much (I mean spoken radio, not
music), documentaries are likely to be too easy for you now, the news might be as
well. Movies vary.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5347 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 13 of 14
18 January 2015 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Ok, I'm in grumpy mode today, but I'll still say it. I find the notion that news and TV
shows are not "real" ridiculous. It's the content people consume every day, it's
something that inevitably follows and sets trends and yet it's not real?
If your friends dumb it down for you then improve your level. They stop papmpering you
once they see that there's no need for it. If you have French friends already then it
doesn't get any more real than that. What's your purpose for learning anyway if having
REAL French friends doesn't cut it?
Also. Listening at your level doesn't improve you. Listening/reading above your level
improves you.

2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4703 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 14 of 14
18 January 2015 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Cavesa's sequence. My own personal progression, where I could listen to
French media without subtitles, was similar:

1. Dubbed TV shows: Game of Thrones, Real Humans

2. Some original TV: Les Revenants.

3a. Hard / colloquial tv with a French language script: Kaamelott (I'll read the
script, then watch the episode on YouTube). I can follow the basic plot without a script,
but miss all the asides. Camera Café is on a similar level, I think.

3b. Non-fiction podcasts. Au coeur de l'histoire and Terre à Terre are on my
current favorites. Terre à Terre is great because they interview people from all over
France, so you get a variety of accents.

3c. Some fiction podcasts. It seems to be all or nothing here; sometimes I follow a
complete story, and sometimes I am completely lost.

4. I still can't follow cop shows like Engrenage without subtitles. Perhaps soon!

Interestingly, I've tried to listen to "French facile" podcasts like RFI, where the
language was somewhat simplified for language learners, but they never maintained my
interest. I'm not sure why, as they seem like a great idea in theory.

Edited by kanewai on 18 January 2015 at 11:14pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version