Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 57 of 91
26 July 2015 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
I've not tackled anything in 日本語総まとめ N2 文法 for weeks, so I thought I'd resume my
studies.

I started where I'd left off, page 140, and worked through the grammar points. Then I
tackled the 2 questions, which are all "broken sentences" where you have the beginning
of a sentence, four gaps (and four sets of text to put in them) and the end of the
sentence.

Having finished, I checked the answers in the back to find just the bare answer and not
the full order of all four parts you are supposed to put together.

So now I don't know whether I got any of them right (since all I know is that I got the
3rd one right in each case)! (Obviously I know I got some of them wrong :-().

Maybe I'm missing something ...

1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 58 of 91
27 July 2015 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I could've sworn that I'd just posted this ... hopefully it's something to do with this
evening's internet issues at home and not an HTLAL thing :-)

Anyway, I've found some JLPT mock tests on the net (by following a link on reddit's forum
for Japanese learning). They look to be the same format as the official JLPT practice
exams, but they appear to come from somewhere else. They don't look like scans, they seem
to be some language school's mock tests.

Anyway, I'll be trying them out soon in order to see where the holes are in my learning.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 59 of 91
28 July 2015 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
I've just given Devlin Language a quick spin and,
so far, I'm quite pleased.

Of course, it means something else to work into the schedule, but, if it helps with
listening comprehension, it'll be worth it.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 60 of 91
29 July 2015 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
I've now shadowed to the end of JPOD 101 Upper Intermediate Season 5, so that's basically all
of the upper intermediate series.

I will probably consider tackling the Intermediate series (which, IIRC, is something of a
mixed bag) but I might jump to the Advanced Blog, just to see what that's like.

No doubt I'll need to cover the UI series again, to keep the vocabulary and grammar fresh in
my mind.

In the last day or two I've also moved on to the UI S4 lessons during my commute.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 61 of 91
31 July 2015 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Now that I've tweeted last week's numbers for the SC, I've just crossed the 200 films mark.

I've reached just over 72 books. Allowing for some slack, if I can keep up a pace of 80 pages
per week, I should be able to make that.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 62 of 91
01 August 2015 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Time to assess my July goals.

1. Last month I aimed for 300 pages of reading. Rather than set a page target, this month
   I'm going to set a time target. I want to read for at least 8 hours in July. I want at
   least 4 hours to be intensive reading.

I managed 9h33m minutes of reading but only 2h34m of it was intensive reading.

2. I'm going to shadowing JPOD101 Upper Intermediate season 5 up to and including Lesson 10.
In fact I finished the whole of S5.

3. Anki: Kanji and Sentence decks: I'm going to activate 300 new entries.
I activated exactly 300 entries.

4. RTK: I'll continue to keep this up to date.
Done.

5. Continue listening to dialogue tracks.
Done.

6. I'm going to watch at 3 hours of drama/anime each week.
Done.

I made a slow start with both the reading and the Anki card activation. I put in a few extra stints
in the last week or so to catch up with Anki. I'd forgotten that I set a time target for the
reading, so I didn't realise that I needed to do more intensive reading. I probably wouldn't have
had enough time anyway. Bad planning on my part.

I didn't set any grammar targets so I didn't log much grammar beyond that needed for my tutorials. I
did, however, finish Part 2 of 新完全マスター N2 文法 (it's just three review lessons), so that leaves
the way clear for me to work Part 3 into my goals for August.

I also went through the table of contents for 日本語総まとめ 文法 for N3 and N2, noting which points I
already have notes for and thereby building a list of things I should probably look into soon. That
then led me to working through the TOC for みんなの日本語中級 (book I) to make sure I have notes for
all of that. (I don't quite, but I plan to address the few missing ones over the coming week or
two).

I've also mined all of JPOD UI S1-S5 for vocabulary and all but S5 for sentences. I have just over
1900 active sentences in my sentence deck, with a further 690 to activate (and perhaps another 400
to come from S5). My kanji deck has 3880 active entries, which 4410 awaiting activation, of which
1600 or so are tagged as JLPT N2.

I'll be signing up for the December N2 this month (as soon as I see that signup has opened: I don't
want to miss it again!), so I have 4 months to try to fit all of that in (along with the 新完全マスタ
reading and listening books). But August is usually holiday month, so I should only bank on 3 months
of proper study time being available.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 63 of 91
04 August 2015 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
A few quick calculations.

I have ~2000 unseen words in Anki that are tagged as N2. If I want to get through them by the time of the test, I
need to activate about 25/day (allowing for a few days of slack per week). That's too high a target I think and it
would lead to too much time being swallowed up by Anki. I'll try 10/day and see how that goes.

In Anki I also have ~700 unseen sentences with maybe 400 more to come from the one season of JPOD UI lessons that
I've not yet mined. That would mean a target of 15/day. That's probably reasonable. I have noticed though that some
of the sentences I'm currently trying to learn are proving more difficult. So I think I'm going to try a slow anki
session in the morning where I'll spend a few minutes on each tricky sentence and concentrate on the vocabulary and
kanji and so on. Then I'll tag that each such sentence and suspended it if I have trouble again. Once I run out of
new sentences, I'll sweep through all the suspended ones (I only have ~30 in total so far) and spend a bit more time
on them.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 64 of 91
04 August 2015 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
A bit more maths.

If I want to work through 日本語総まとめ N2 聴解 then I need to cover about 7 pages per week.

The same calculation for 日本語総まとめ N2 読解 shows I need to cover 10 pages per week.

At the moment I'm spending ~40 minutes per day on Anki. That's going to go up to maybe ~50
minutes to cover the extra activations.

The 聴解 work, based only on one sample, namely today's, is going to take 10 minutes/page,
just over an extra hour per week.

The 読解 currently takes about 30 minutes per page, so unless something changes there I'm
going to fail to hit that target by quite a long way.

I think I'm going to sit down and think about it for a day or two before I come to any initial
decisions about where to concentrate my energies.

Maybe by then the whole forum situation will be clearer ...

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version