Non-Territoryblocked Norwegian Radio

Tags: Radio | Norwegian
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 1 of 6
25 December 2014 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
This should be an easy proposition, to find free Norwegian radio that broadcasts live,
with people speaking Norwegian, no music, no English, no rubbish, no sound background
things like the ocean waves that gets played on Sveriges Radio at night, but I have
big problems trying to find this. Right now, I chose "Alltid Nyheter" on NRK Radio,
and the whole thing is BBC World Service.

Example, NRK Alltid Nyheter and
you get more than 10 straight hours of BBC World Service, all in English, why this is
even on NRK is beyond me, but I do not listen to radio in my target language to hear
my native language for 10 hours. Meanwhlist, NRK Radio Trøms, one of my favourite
regions, has a bunch of music playing, and annoyingly, music in English.

Now I know that the level of English is extremely high in Norway that they can listen
to BBC live, but for a native Anglophone trying to get Norwegian radio news, this is
quite obviously completely useless. Any Norwegians know radio stations that broadcast
24-hour outsendings of Norwegian radio with actual speaking, regardless of what time
it is, and also is not blocked outside of Norway? Takk!

Edited by 1e4e6 on 25 December 2014 at 12:05am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5133 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 6
25 December 2014 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried accessing Norwegian TV streaming websites using Firefox and the Hola Unblocker plugin? (You'll need to click the Hola toolbar icon and select Norway before accessing the websites.)

3 persons have voted this message useful

kunsttyv
Diglot
Norway
Joined 3434 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 6
27 December 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
I'm not aware of any Norwegian radio channel clinically free from music, other languages or
various non-speech mumbo jumbo. However, a lot of the programs on the various channels are
speech only, so you could single them out. You can access podcasts with the various program
series gathered on this site: http://www.nrk.no/podkast/. The programs are sorted by the
channels on which they are broadcast.

For instance, Dagsnytt (daily news) on P1 is broadcast every hour or so every day, and it's
all gathered on the podcast. I can especially recommend Dagsnytt 18 on P2, for the most in
depth news and actuality magazine you'll find. There's also plenty of humor or cultural
shows on there, if you would rather like to listen to those.

Tell me how this turns out. I'm starting to learn Spanish now, and would like to do the
same thing, so if you know any good sources, I would love to hear about it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

caracao
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4933 days ago

53 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German

Message 4 of 6
28 December 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Use a VPN.
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4334 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 5 of 6
28 December 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
NRK P2 should be ok for most of the day. But you won't get anything useful during the night
on any channel, except maybe P3 Radioresepsjonen, but they just send old episodes in a
loop.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 6 of 6
09 January 2015 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I suppose that that might be the problem; I am only available mostly from 23h00 to 10h00
the next day in Norway time. My peak hours are probably around 04h00 Norway time. I
suppose that that may seem like an odd schedule, but nevertheless, some of the stuff on
the radio in the madrugada hours is quite terrible, i.e. Anglophone music or dance music
(fine for the clubs, but not for an Anglophone Norwegian learner sitting at a desk)
or English conversations.

I am browsing TuneIn Radio right now, NRK P2 have flute music on for over 10 minutes
straight...

Edited by 1e4e6 on 09 January 2015 at 12:09am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version