Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 24
27 December 2014 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
pagare wrote:
The point in all this is I feel I CAN NOT express myself in any real way
with the
language.

It takes a good deal of team and a great deal of effort to become comfortable in a
second language. If you set yourself the much
higher goal of matching your L1 with your L2 then it's going to take longer. That's not
to say that you shouldn't strive to achieve
that goal, just that you should set more realistic expectations.

pagare wrote:
I am WILLING to work hard I just don't want to
waste my time doing ineffective studying methods. Thanks guys

I expect that the most effective study methods for you will be ones you can stick with.
There is (sadly) no silver bullet. So you
should try a variety of courses, experiment with native materials, try shadowing, and
so on. Stick with the ones that seem to help
the most.

Edited by dampingwire on 27 December 2014 at 12:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 24
27 December 2014 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Well, you are obviously doing a lot of things corectly and may just need more time.
Other things that might be helpful:

-add some real, traditional grammar studying into this. Perhaps you need the more
logical and systematic approach. Get a quality book with explanations, exemples and
exercises and you might see some progress in your output pretty soon. Fluenz appears
to me as a very good resource (I may buy it for some language in future) but from
their list of contents, I am convinced another supplementary grammar source could do
you some good.

-vocabulary. If you are struggling to find the correct word, you might want to add
anki or another srs to your routine for further practice of your vocabulary from
elsewhere.

-add even more listening. You've been watching tv in Italian, which is great, just
continue. Many people on the forums have had great progress with movies and tv series
but you need to devour lots of those.

-if you wish to practice speaking now, consider hiring a tutor instead of the proposed
conversation class. From my experience, many conversation classes follow rather boring
and annoying strategies (such as wasting a lot of in class time on reading articles
and such preparatory activies at the expense of the speaking time) and vast majority
of your classmates will actually hurt your progress. For majority of the time, you
won't be speaking or listening to a native or very good non native speaker. You will
mostly listen to your classmates and their mistakes. This can work when the whole
class is very advanced but listening to other intermediates is not a valuable way to
spend your paid time, in my opinion.
5 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 11 of 24
27 December 2014 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I second the tutor option. My tutor is brilliant, although she is my neighbour and pushing 85, so I don't have much experience with online tutors like the ones at iTalki. A tutor gives personalised help which is great. You might want to seek out language exchange partners. I found a language exchange partner about six years ago and we've been great friends ever since. I spent a couple of days with her and her family in Rome this year. I think finding people to speak with is a great motivator.

Also Italians seem to be a lot more forgiving when you're butchering their language, and I have yet to meet an Italian who didn't want to help me learn. If only the French were so accommodating. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

pagare
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3541 days ago

16 posts - 15 votes
Studies: English

Message 12 of 24
29 December 2014 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
I am seriously considering the tutor option. I also and interested in language exchanges too. But I don't know
how to go about it? Should I have a prescripted lists of questions?

redflag
Australia
Joined 3631 days ago

123 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Danish, Indonesian, French

Message 13 of 24
29 December 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
I would experiment with an iTalki tutor - just browse the Italian ones and see who you like based on their profiles.
You can do three trial lessons. If you think you might want to get a package (5 or 10, say, lessons at a cheaper rate)
look for tutors who offer those. You might also want to find one with a decent level of English so you can let them
know specifically what you are looking for.   The paid tutors should be able to guide the conversation.

For language exchange I would just find someone (might have to go through a few) with whom you have stuff in
common and go from there. The first conversation is going to be be basic stuff, personal information, family,
job/study etc and hopefully should develop naturally the way English conversations do but there are also a long list
of possible topics here: http://www.tobefluent.com/2014/09/02/language-exchange-so-wh at-do-you-want-to-
talk-about/

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 24
29 December 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
pagare wrote:
Thanks a lot for the responses guys I will look into some conversational classes. And do some reading which I already do with lingq but I will some more

I'm sorry but it seems like you don't truly understand how much time/effort it takes.
This quote applies to languages too:

True love doesn't happen right away; it's an ever-growing process. It develops after you've gone through many ups and downs, when you've suffered together, cried together, laughed together.

However, avoid burnout as well. You need consistency and patience.

What are your goals? Is there an objective reason for them?

LingQ is good but you need to read actual books too. Also, try lyricstraining.

Edited by Serpent on 29 December 2014 at 4:49pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

pagare
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3541 days ago

16 posts - 15 votes
Studies: English

Message 15 of 24
29 December 2014 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
pagare wrote:
Thanks a lot for the responses guys I will look into some
conversational classes. And do some reading which I already do with lingq but I will some more

I'm sorry but it seems like you don't truly understand wisdom-or-stop-slagging-seeds-silly-city-slickers">how much time/effort it takes.
This quote applies to languages too:

True love doesn't happen right away; it's an ever-growing process. It develops after you've gone through
many ups and downs, when you've suffered together, cried together, laughed together.

However, avoid burnout as well. You need consistency and patience.

What are your goals? Is there an objective reason for them?

LingQ is good but you need to read actual books too. Also, try lyricstraining.

Thank you very much for this. It is making me realize I have to work A LOT HARDER it get what I want. I
really appreciate this.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 24
30 December 2014 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Don't be intimidated. Use the hidden moments, try to have more fun in Italian (at least music for now and later comic books, movies, usual books). Overloading yourself is a very real risk. Just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day ;)

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version