113 messages over 15 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 14 15 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 49 of 113
07 January 2015 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Great post, Luso!
I think something about the connections between languages would be interesting. For example, Indonesian has loan words from Dutch, Sanskrit, Arabic (and Portuguese too).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4833 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 50 of 113
09 January 2015 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Good idea, Serpent. On a similar note, I'll be learning about Hebrew's root system this year, which'll be of interest to the team members learning Arabic. For instance, in both Hebrew and Arabic the triconsonantal root K-T-B is in words that have to do with writing.

And Luso, great points about not stressing and this being a marathon, not a sprint. Also, I have some more Hebrew resources for the first page.

Teach Me Hebrew. Grammar lessons, dialogues, Anki decks.

Learn Hebrew Verbs. The name is misleading; the site doesn't teach the verbs, but it has conjugations of common verbs by gender, tense, and number, and it also includes the verb root.

Do It in Hebrew. The dictionary I use.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4448 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 51 of 113
09 January 2015 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
I was going to pick netspeak from Magdalene's list, but then I remembered I've already covered Arabizi in my log... :(
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5858 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 52 of 113
13 January 2015 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
It seems we are reluctant to choose a challenge topic, so I'm going to venture a suggestion:

Give a reason why your unusual language is worth studying. Be creative and specific (we don't want the "all languages are worth studying" routine here). "Sell" your language to the team.

I know it's not much of a challenge, but January is the time when people are typically most motivated. I don't want you skipping lessons to do the challenge. The need for motivation will come later.

And please remember: this is just a suggestion. If you don't agree, speak up. It's ok.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4665 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 53 of 113
13 January 2015 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Sounds great! I like the January challenge! I think it's very important to think about why I'm studying my languages sometimes to boost my motivation and doing that at the beginning of the year can only help.

I'll start then and tell you why Persian is unbelievably worthy of being studied :)

There are many great reasons to start learning Persian. Personally, I started learning the language because I noticed how incredibly useful it is. When you think of widely spoken languages, Persian may not actually be among them. You might think Spanish, French, Arabic or maybe Chinese, but Persian? Fact is that Persian is spoken both in Iran and Afghanistan and from what I read, Tajik is similar enough for some to count Tajikistan as a Persian-speaking country as well. What makes Persian very useful in Germany (and probably most other western countries) is the sizable emigrant population. In my city I randomly hear people speaking Persian a lot more often than for example French.

Some people will say they study Persian because are fascinated by an incredible ancient civilisation, epic literature and beautiful poetry. Some will see it as one of the most exotic and interesting Indo-European languages. Or maybe as a doorway to the Middle East, seeing as it should be much easier to study for Europeans and Americans than a non-Indo-European language like Arabic. It's a wonder Persian is not more widely studied. It's really underrated in terms of importance and usefulness.

But I couldn't stick to a language just because it's useful. I need to have passion for the language itself. For me, Persian is always in danger of being overshadowed by the incredible journey that is learning Korean. But even though it has strong competition, I can't give up studying Persian. I like its tricky writing system that feels like a crossword puzzle, I love its elegant grammar where you can build strings of words and express a whole lot through just one very simply grammar point. I also love the way it sounds when sung, as in Siavash Ghomeyshi's Daryaye Maghreb. Persian also comes with a fascinating old culture that sometimes reminds me of my own and sometimes of what I've come to love about Korean culture. If you study Persian, you'll get to celebrate another New Year's day (in springtime) and a second Christmas eve (yalda, the longest night of the year).

Who's going to join me? ;)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5590 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 54 of 113
14 January 2015 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
reasons to learn Sanskrit:
- Linguistic point of view: comparison with modern Indo-European languages. Fascinating similarity.
- language of Bhagavad Gita.
- classical and at the same time living language.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 55 of 113
15 January 2015 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Reasons I'm learning Hebrew now:

Everyone's doing it. ;-) Seriously, I have been thinking of picking up Hebrew for a
while, because it is said to be the easier Semitic language and I have had an on-and-
off love-hate relationship with Arabic. Hebrew may finally open a path to mastering
Arabic. Also, it is easier to convince my family to travel to Israel than to travel to
an Arab country.

Richard Simcott's workshop on language-learning changed my thinking. So far, I'd
generally study languages that come cheap (Romance/Germanic languages, Indonesian) up
to the point where they'd require serious work, and I'd study generally languages that
are fascinating to me (Swahili, Chinese, Greek) with a lot of energy. Richard
introduced the ideas of "anchor languages", which convinced me to commit more to Dutch
and Italian. He also introduced stressed over and over how much easier it is to
learn/maintain a language when you can speak it regularly in your daily life... and I
realized that already now I have many opportunities to speak Hebrew, without even
developing new habits. I'm friends with a Hebrew-speaking couple here in Berlin, I
also often eat at an Israeli vegetarian café that is a mere 3 minutes from my home and
the owner is so nice we often chat for 30-60 minutes after the meal if the café isn't
busy. Online I also know a good number of Israelis or Jews fluent in Hebrew and they
are all people that I'd love to talk to more. Finally, there are some polyglots (in
Berlin or regularly visiting Berlin, like Alex Rawlings) who love Hebrew and speak it
at polyglot get-togethers if given half a chance. So I realized that if I learned
Hebrew, it would have a lot higher chances of success and higher chances to
multilingualize my life than basically any other language I could choose. In short,
"everyone's doing it".
4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4963 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 56 of 113
15 January 2015 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Could you elaborate on the concept of anchor languages, Sprachprofi? I googled and found no results. You made me curious, after all in my case Dutch and Italian are sinking in the North Sea and the Mediterranean, respectively.

This discussion contains 113 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version