Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

French, Russian, Greek, Hebrew (TAC 2015)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
13 messages over 2 pages: 1
s.mann
Groupie
United States
lang-8.com/973514/jo
Joined 3435 days ago

55 posts - 76 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 13
08 January 2015 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Hi Light,

I felt like I was getting decent reviews for awhile by friending good reviewers on Lang-8 until a couple of
them started responding, but I left for 2 months and when I came back and those people were no
longer active. I also was losing a lot of time to doing English reviews, which made me feel productive,
but it wasn't helping my French. The times when I posted translated song lyrics got the most attention,
so I guess make it remotely interesting for the reviewers as well, rather than a "what I ate for breakfast"
post.

I did miss an opportunity on Lang-8 because a Belgian guy I met on there wanted to be a language-
exchange partner via Skype, but I just wasn't ready for that kind of commitment. :) Anyway, for me it
was a hit to begin with but I consider it a miss now. If you already know a French reviewer on there or
find one via friending and hard work helping others' with their English, it would be a good mechanism
for learning I think.

As far as what to write about, I'd love to hear the feedback you get from more experienced members on
this forum.

Oh, and welcome to the team!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 13
10 January 2015 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Hey Light, it's great to have you on Team Français. Bienvenue!

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5273 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 11 of 13
11 January 2015 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Hi Light,

I second Jeffers... Welcome to Team français ! All the best in 2015 with your French...
I'll be following along with your log, so I keep at it! (or I'll call the Police, maybe..
.like probably not... at all)

Bonne chance !

Pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4485 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 12 of 13
12 January 2015 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Welcome! Another Hebrew learner, I see! Please feel free to drop by and discuss with the other Hebrew learners on
TAC Team Rare. In fact, except for the Greek, I'm doing the exact same languages as you (though I'm already well
along in French, and really only am doing maintenance work).

I just posted this morning in my
log a post
about issues specific to learning Hebrew and Russian at the same time, and I'd be interested if you have any
comment. (The post in question is quoted below.)

geoffw wrote:
Russian progress continues apace, but I think my estimate for finishing Assimil was slightly
optimistic. It's just
taking too much time to finish each lesson now, so I'm no longer finishing one active and one passive wave lesson
per day. No big deal, though. I'm still moving forward and learning every day. February seems more likely now.

I'd be curious if anyone else has experience with learning both Russian and Hebrew. I generally have not worried
much about the notorious "interference" bogeyman, but it does seem to pop up a bit if I try to switch back and
forth between these two languages. It seems that there are a number of ways in which phonetically similar words
cover similar concepts, despite the great differences in linguistic structure. For example (I'm so frustrated trying to
reconcile left- and right- facing inputs that I'm just going to use roman letters for Hebrew here):

Personal pronouns они (3rd. pl.) and "ani" (1st sing.),
Emphatic particle ж and preposition "-sheh"
How: как and preposition "ka-"
Russian в and Hebrew "ve-" and "be-"
and even Russian на and Hebrew "ha-" (not phonetically similar, but orthographically similar in an English-
speaker's mind)

and so on. I have no trouble keeping these straight, but when I immerse myself in Hebrew and then switch to
Russian, I keep wanting to use Hebrew definite articles and prepositions at first.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5273 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 13 of 13
25 August 2015 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Hi Light,

Are you still learning French?

Many of us are inactive lately and I thought I'd give you all a nudge. Many of us are
active however and have relocated to the alternative website how-to-learn-any-
language.org which was put in place after htlal.com went through some major technical
problems. I hope you are well.

PM

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version