Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 12
27 January 2015 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Funny. Though you certainly realize that the lead consonants are "completely" different for those two words,
which ought to be enough distinction to keep them straight in a Pimsleur, audio only context. Unless you're
one of those people who can't get through a sentence without throwing in a B"H somewhere, maybe...
1 person has voted this message useful

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 10 of 12
28 January 2015 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I actually didn't know the consonants were different; thanks for saying something. That reminds me: one thing I like about Pimsleur is their use of two speakers and the fact that they have the speakers say each word or phrase anew each time. In the Modern Hebrew course, the man speaks faster, and his articulation is a little less clear. Sometimes both speakers' pronunciation sounds different, at least to my ears, than it did a minute ago; ה can sound like ח when spoken quickly. The road noise in the car doesn't help either. A little textbook work would've gone a long way toward learning the correct pronunciation and avoiding spoonerisms.

In other news, I'm studying Russian again. After months of fruitless searching for a face-to-face conversation partner, I finally found someone, and we'll be meeting for the first time next week. This'll be the first time I've attempted to incorporate regular speaking practice from such an early stage. We'll see how it goes; for now, it's time to cram some basics.

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 

Message 11 of 12
20 February 2015 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
My Russian conversation partner and I have had some scheduling difficulties, so we only just got around to meeting for the first time a couple days ago. Our first conversation went pretty well. By "conversation" I mean I read from a script I'd prepared and half-memorized while my conversation partner and her friend sat across the table from me and read upside down, skipping ahead to parts later in my introduction. They were all, "Wow, you speak Spanish!!" while I was still trying to talk about my job...I'll take this as a positive thing, impetus to study harder so I actually memorize my conversation islands. And they said my pronunciation was pretty good, which was something I'd been concerned about.

I haven't done much with Hebrew lately. My Pimsleur time is going toward Russian, and I've not so much as cracked open my Hebrew textbooks. But in an unexpected turn of events, I met a study buddy at the library. She's a complete beginner, but if we end up meeting once a week to share tips or commiserate, it'll keep my studies consistent.

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4847 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 

Message 12 of 12
22 June 2015 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Long time no post! I haven't been doing much with Hebrew lately. There's an excellent course on Memrise called Modern Hebrew Complete, and I've been slowly working through that.

I'm going to downsize my goal for Hebrew. If I reach A1 by the end of the year, I'll be content.

I've also decided to stop studying Russian. I need to spend more time with Mandarin and French to reach basic fluency by the end of the year, and Hebrew's just for fun and doesn't require as much time and energy at this point.

Edited by Magdalene on 22 June 2015 at 10:55pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version