Groupie
Ukraine
Joined 6432 days ago

40 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 22
24 September 2006 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
One of my biggest problem when it comes to learning languages is not the grammar (surprisingly)...its the vocab.

i was wondering if FullRecall would help my vocab?? and does it kinda work like pimsleur but flashcard style???

and is pimsleur a good investment of time for the russian language??? ive been trying to learn russian for about a year now (consistantly) and im very interested in the language but i can manage to grab a hold over it..all you guys on these fourms make it sound easy and you guys are amazing at learning languages!! hopefully you guys have some input for me so that maby one day i can master this great language.
1 person has voted this message useful

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6480 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 2 of 22
24 September 2006 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
I just started Russian, and the pronunciation is definitely the hardest I've come across. But I don't think Pimsleur is a good investment for the language once you've mastered level 1. From there, you'll work faster with other sources - radio, books, more comprehensive audio programs and so forth.

I'm currently using Learn in Your Car - it offers a large amount of vocabulary, plus lots and lots and lots of sentences to give you an idea of how they're put together.

It will take time (Russian), but if you stick with it, you will learn it. What are your specific goals? Are you aiming for reading? Writing? Aural comprehension? Speaking?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 22
25 September 2006 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
I have found my own method, which functions for me, - others might find it repulsive or boring. I just count words. I take a dictionary in my target language and take a couple of pages here and there where I write down all the words I know. If I find a word that I recognize, but doubt that I would remember even if I needed it, then I put a mark at it, and if I find an unknown word that I would like to remember I write it in another color (and it doesn't count). The actual word count is not the central issue, even though it is an interesting indicator of my progress in the area of vocabulary, - it's the fact of meeting 'old half forgotten friends' again that helps me.

As I have understood FullRecall (www.fullrecall.com) it has a limit of 500 words, but repeats them according to a theory about how many repetitions it really takes to make a new word stick in your memory, - somewhat like Super Memory. It may be useful, especially if you don't yet have a sizeable passive vocabulary, but for me it has functioned much better to work with words that I already to some degree know and then pick up new words partly from the things I read, partly from my word counts.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6471 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 4 of 22
25 September 2006 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
Iversen, your dictionary method seems very interesting. Has you used it with mnemonics for the unknown words?

Zorndyke
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6754 days ago

374 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Czech

Message 5 of 22
25 September 2006 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Quote:

As I have understood FullRecall (www.fullrecall.com) it has a limit of 500 words, but repeats them according to a theory about how many repetitions it really takes to make a new word stick in your memory, - somewhat like Super Memory.

The programm is organized in databases of possible 500 words each. So, if your first database is full, just open a second one.

The theory is the Leitner system, I suppose!?

Edited by Zorndyke on 25 September 2006 at 8:20am

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6811 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 22
25 September 2006 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Maladyets wrote:
ive been trying to learn russian for about a year now (consistantly) and im very interested in the language but i can manage to grab a hold over it..all you guys on these fourms make it sound easy and you guys are amazing at learning languages!! hopefully you guys have some input for me so that maby one day i can master this great language.

We may make it sound easy (do we really?) but it's definitely not! The "secret" is to be consistent and study a bit every day.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 22
25 September 2006 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Iversen, your dictionary method seems very interesting. Has you used it with mnemonics for the unknown words?

Not really. I know that there are mnemonic systems out there that can help you to memorize long sequences of irrelevant data. But when I meet unknown but interesting words using the dictionary method, they don't come in strings, but one at a time. However the thing that makes them interesting to me may in itself be enough as a mnemonics. For instances I worked on my French yesterday and chanced upon the word mordorer (to make something yellow-brown). For anyone who has read Tolkien such a word will just march directly into the active vocabulary without any extra effort. Or pince for musical pizzicato, - 'pincer' is normally what you might do to your arm if you aren't sure you are awake. OK, now I know that you can do the same thing to a string instrument.

However the majority of new words that I learn come through reading (and if necessary checking a dictionary to get the meaning). But when I then later see the word again through one of my forays through dictionaries then I hopefully recognize it and that's enough to stabilize it.

Edited by Iversen on 25 September 2006 at 1:52pm

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6888 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 22
25 September 2006 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
However the majority of new words that I learn come through reading (and if necessary checking a dictionary to get the meaning). But when I then later see the word again through one of my forays through dictionaries then I hopefully recognize it and that's enough to stabilize it.

That sounds like a formalized approach to browsing the dictionary and an informal Leitner box.

Is it the "Oh', I just saw that word yesterday in ..." that makes the words stick in your mind?

Edited by Farley on 25 September 2006 at 2:05pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version